“Italy comes to Temple Terrace” 5 of 5 stars

813-989-3230
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Temple Terrace, Florida
“Italy comes to Temple Terrace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

What an excellent meal. I had the Italian Meat antipasta and my husband had cream of salmon soup and a slice of pizza margherita. The food was awesome. The Italian cold cuts were delicious. My husband raved about the soup. The pizza was supreme. Nice casual restaurant. The prices were very reasonable. My only regret it that it took us so long to try it!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tampa, Florida
“Excellent food, trying to straddle lunch/dinner atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I visited with my elderly father for dinner on Sunday night around 5:15. We had a wonderful dinner, and our server was very good. She knew the menu and definitely answered several questions for us. Overall, the restaurant has a strange vibe for dinner, because when you walk in, it definitely looks more like a lunch place, with a deli-style counter and a gelato counter. The menu is a bit confusing, with entrees, salads, soups, salads and pizza spread out over a couple of places, but there's a good reason for that. They are presenting artisenal food, made with fresh ingredients instead of frozen and canned stuff. That means although they have some basics that will always be on the main menu, many menu items will change based on the season and availability, hence the multiple pieces of paper, each listing several items available at that particular meal or in that particular season. They have a great selections of wines, and although other reviewers found that confusing, anyone who is familiar with wine bars will be happy to see the set-up. You can 1.5 ounces for a low price, 3 ounces for a medium price, and 6 ounces for the normal price of a full glass of wine. That allows you the flexibility to try 3 different wines without drinking 3 full glasses (and then trying to drive home). My father had their cabernet which was a bit different from most California red cabs, but very good. I tried a specialty wine from Italy called Bacco, and it was wonderful.

They started our meal with a small plate of assorted olives, which were very tasty, some nice thinly sliced bread, and an olive oil and grated cheese (Parmesan, I think) bread dip. My father had shrimp carbonera, which had four large shrimp and lots of pieces of proscuito, over penne, in a mushroom and cream sauce. It was very good. I had a specialty salad (I don't recall the name) and added grilled salmon. The piece of salmon was about 4 ounces and was served piping hot, over mixed greens that included purple and green baby spinach, with cranberries, pieces of mango, and other interesting salad touches. They were out of their balsamic vinaigrette dressing, but they also had a red wine vinaigrette dressing that went very well with the salad. We had a $5 coupon from a local ad, and they applied it correctly and without question.

The restaurant is at the end of a strip center that includes a Winn Dixie grocery store. The decor was nice, although it leaned more toward lunch decor than that of a fancier dinner restaurant. If you're trying to take a date out for a romantic "impress her" night, then this might not be the best spot for atmosphere. But if you want to go to lunch, or if you want to have dinner with friends or family, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“Mixed review!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Let's start with the not so good. Beware! The menu is very confusing, as is the wine List - what we thought was a wine at $3 per glass turned out to be $10 per glass because it is measured in ozs!! Next, the wait staff were probably the worst we have ever experienced. They could not answer any of my questions - at one time we had 3 servers at our table, but nobody could give me an answer. They also did not explain anything we were ordering. We order 2 medium pizzas and 4 pizzas came to the table …. only to be told that a medium pizza is actually TWO pizzas. We would only have ordered one, had we known that.
OK now the good: THE PIZZA!! Oh my goodness …. perfection. Here you also pay $12 for the basic pizza and then add $4 for each topping. Very confusing! BUT, the toppings are amazing, e.g. Spanish Ham (which I had) and the sliced ham was covering the entire pizza - none of this little sprinkle of chaopped ham. Same with the artichokes - plenty! The crust is wonderfully crisp and just because of this amazing pizza, we will definitely return - this time we will know how to order.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Welcome to our neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Surprisingly upscale, yet (business) casual. Perfect for a business lunch with colleagues or social lunch or dinner with friends and family or date night with your sweetheart. One Sunday, we saw that a nice group had reserved the patio after church. Pasta and pizzas are excellent. Waiters and waitresses are very friendly, professional and helpful. Eat outside in the patio area, or inside, and enjoy a leisurely ambiance and a creative menu which blends Italian cuisine with organic foods. Win-win. It is so nice to have a lovely restaurant that is not part of a chain in the main downtown area in Temple Terrace.
I have been there in the evening at sunset with another couple. We all sat outside on the patio and loved it. Also met a friend for lunch there...again, lovely. On Mother's Day weekend, 7 of us with two babies under 2 had lunch inside and, again, it was a wonderful experience. I hope others try it and enjoy it as much as we do. They have a nice wine selection, too.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“So Glad They're Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have been to Bacco and Venere several times now and have never been disappointed.

Today I had a penne dish with a cream sauce and grilled chicken. It was divine. In the past, I've had their amazing pizza, the Margherita (tomato sauce, mozzarella and fresh basil) and the Nettuno (chive, Speck, mozzarella, artichokes and gorgonzola). Speck is a type of prosciutto.

All the ingredients taste so fresh and the pizza crust is the lightest I've ever eaten, but still with just the right amount of "chew" quality. The chef told us that they riase the dough for 96 hours!

They are fairly new in Temple Terrace and I hope they have much success. It's wonderful to have someplace to sit outside, enjoy our great weather and eat fantastic food. And the gelato is to die for!

• Visited April 2014