“Very disappointing for a Hilton property!” 2 of 5 stars

Military Family Rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Temple Terrace
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Palm Coast, Florida
“Very disappointing for a Hilton property!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I echo "John G.'s" review, along with others who seem to indicate the same issues...unlike the other surprising "5 star reviews". Have not only stayed at other Hilton Garden Inns before, with absolutely NO issues and on the contrary, always exceptional...but have also stayed at this hotel itself in the distant. However, seems the hotel has really taken a downturn since our last stay. Chose this hotel over others with lower rates, because I know the normally quality stay in a Hilton property. Unfortunately for me, however, this did not turn out to be the case this time. Started out with an issue from moment of check-in. Despite a quite empty hotel (seemed as though they had quite a bit of vacancy available), we were given a room that the moment we walked in, had CLEARLY been a very "smoking friendly" room, to say the least. The smell was absolutely horrible and "hit you in the face" the moment you walked into the room. The hallway outside was no better...had a smell that we could only describe as a "dirty diaper". Besides the smell, we immediately noticed the bedspread had several clear and mysterious "stains" on it. We immediately went back to the front desk and were given another room, however to our disappointment, not so much as even an apology for the other room or inconvenience was given. We then got to the second room, which didn't smell nearly as bad as the first, however still was not up to the standards of what we know Hilton to have. At this point we needed to get ourselves going to Busch Gardens, which was what our trip was for. However, upon our return in the evening, just moments after returning, we used the bathroom to wash up for bed, only to attempt to wipe our faces with dirty towels. One towel had several hairs in it, and two others clearly had been used to wipe mouths from toothpaste, as it was clearly left on the towel. Needless to say, this was quite disgusting. We then pulled the bedding back, and that too appeared as though it had not been changed from the previous guests. To add even more, we then went to retrieve our waters out of the refrigerator, only to find that the refrigerator was not even working. It was simply one situation after another since arrival. At this point it was late and we were quite tired. I called down and explained the situation with the refrigerator in particular and we were told they would "get someone on it right away". A short time after, a gentleman appeared at the door, came in and did a quick turn of the refrigerator dial only to say that it was simply not working. Then, instead of even attempting to change it out, etc, instead, this gentleman came clearly prepared to move us to another room, as he came with other room keys. That to me seemed to indicate one of two things...they new the refrigerator was already broken or even if they were unaware, knew they weren't going to even try to bother fixing or replacing it, rather it would be US to be inconvenienced late at night. (Mind you at no point again were any apologies even given for our inconvenience) We then moved rooms yet again, having to move all our belongings late at night and when we were already dressed for bed and tired. We again went to the front desk to explain what had occurred and of our extreme disgust and disappointment. We had already planned another night stay in the area but were going to go to another local hotel. The woman at the front desk however, offered another night at no cost after what occurred, along with breakfast coupons for the following morning. So that night we went to bed as we were very tired and already disgusted with the issues since arrival. We woke early and went down to breakfast, which unfortunately I have to say was also not what you expect of Hilton standards. Many of the items were stale and the service left much to be desired. We also both had stomach issues after that breakfast. We spent the day at the park and upon arrival back, our first issue was that our room key had "expired" from what we were told, and did not work. So yet again, another trip to the front desk. Upon entering the room, we realized that the temperature in the room did not seem the setting we had left it. We again were tired and also quite disgusted with having to consistently go to the front desk and complain, that we hoped that we could change the temperature and it would gradually adjust itself. This never happened unfortunately, and we went from being both extremely warm at times during the night...causing us to sweat...to literally freezing. There was simply no way to regulate the temperature correctly. To add to this, since we were so tired the night before after being moved yet again to this, the third room, we didn't take notice as to why we were so uncomfortable sleeping in the bed. Although the pillows are VERY flat, it turned out it was a much broader issue. The "dial" for the "adjustable" mattress was broken and the bed instead literally had "holes" your body would slump down into while sleeping, since it was "deflated". We did complain yet again to the front desk, but were told to contact the manager "Sarah" for further help. I have done so as of yesterday, and have yet to receive a return call. Just overall an extremely disappointing stay to say the least. We will definitely NOT return to this hotel upon our return, which we happen to have passes and go to the parks on a frequent basis. I feel ANY amount paid was unfair for the standard of "quality" we received. Truly, truly disappointing.

Room Tip: Want a good room...stay at another local hotel like the Embassy Suites or Comfort Suites.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I understand how disappointed you must feel regarding the cleanliness and maintenance issues you encountered. I sincerely apologize for this. As we utilize reviews to assess our guest needs, this is one of the areas that we want to be very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review and other's like Jon G, I am actively participating with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure these problems do not happen again. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. I am glad we were able to provide you with a complementary night stay with us as well as breakfast for your family.
Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback and please feel free to contact me if you have additional comments. While I did not get your phone message, I did receive a message on Monday that was quite long, but was pure static, and I could not make out anything the person was saying, I was hopeful they would call back so that I could connect with them, could that possibly have been you?

Kind regards,

Sarah Schmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very convenient to school and restaurants, entertainment. We have stayed here in the past and always return because we have had such great service, pleasant, courteous staff. The hotel and rooms are always clean, bright and well kept.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us! I am so pleased you continue to have great visits with us and we work very hard to ensure all of your visits are first class! We have some exciting upgraded and improvements coming in 2013 and we cannot wait to share them with you!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I do quite a bit of business in Temple Terrace and I always stay at this HGI. The hotel is right off of I75 so it is pretty easy to get to. Its a standard HGI, but the staff makes the stays here very pleasant, which is why I keep staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! We have a pretty amazing team here who really know how to take excellent care of our guests and we are always pleased when our efforts pay off. We hope you get the chance to stay with us again very soon!

Thank you again!
Woodstock, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My third stay in the last year, room not clean, carpet worn, mildew in bathroom and tv picture is not clear. Property needs a renovation. Food was almost not edible, quality ok but cook needs some lessons

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to convey your experience with us. We use each and every guest comment as a tool to further improve our services. I cannot apologize enough for the cleanliness and conditional issue in your room during your recent stay with us. This is not the standard at our hotel, and rest assured we are working with maintenance and housekeeping to ensure nothing like this happens again.
We hope you will give our property another chance during your next visit to the Tampa area and allow us the opportunity to provide you with the level of service and cleanliness we are known for.
Sarah Schmidt, General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hilton Garden Inn's are always good, clean and well priced and this one was no different. Room was in good shape and it was relatively easy to get to off I-75 although at night it can be a little tricky to find. Only major complaint was the housekeeping staff was loud when they made their rounds on the 2nd floor. We could hear doors slamming and the staff talking loudly in the hallways. Otherwise else, it a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m so sorry for the inconvenient noise issues you experienced from our staff. We are working with our housekeeping to be mindful of our guests as they're conduct their daily duties. We know how much you love our brand and don't want your experience with us to sway your opinion. I apologize that it was unpleasant and we hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in the area.
Sarah Schmidt, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay at this particular Hilton. All I can say is congratulations to the staff who make it their priority to serve their customers. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from the General Manager to the cook, even to the cleaning lady was warm and pleasant to me and my family. Now if that's not customer service, I don't know what is. The rooms are comfortable, I love the way one can adjust the mattress firmness, and everything worked. The pool was always clean, spa worked like it should, unlike other hotels where the spa feels like a giant vat of hot water and customers feel like they are lobsters or something. They recommended and transported my family and I to the various attractions, and recommended good places to eat, never felt the pressure to dine at their expensive restaurant. The breakfast was always good, and the cook was very friendly to us. Te only quirk I had about the breakfast was that I wish there would be more of a variety every day, didn't quite like the repetitive meals, day in day out. For this kind of service, I'd be expecting to pay hundreds of dollars at night, but not the Hilton. Their prices are fair, and I know I would definitely return here. Kudos to the Hilton Temple Terrace and their staff. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chris,
Thank you for this review of our hotel! We are all very glad you enjoyed your stay and had fun touring around Tampa! We have a great city here and we love to show it off! You will be excited to know we are in the process of upgrading and diversifying our breakfast offering, be on the lookout for some new heather options as well as some more seasonal specials everyday! It's guests like you that inspire us to think outside the box and to go the extra mile for our guests.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Thank you again!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel was clean and comfortable. It was very nice to have a restaurant right there where you could get an evening meal or cocktail if you wanted to. The breakfast was terrific!! The absolute best part of our stay on October 18, 2012 was the hotel staff. The young ladies that worked the restaurant liked their jobs...you could tell in how they treated their customers. And the girls at the front desk went out of their way to make sure we were happy with every aspect of our stay. Especially Katie that we made our reservation with. I took awhile to make this review, but I signed up on trip advisor just because of the staff at this hotel made such an impression on us!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North? Share your experiences!