“Meh...” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colorado
“Meh...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a stop over on a cross country road trip and I can't really say anything incredibly positive. Our experience upon check-in was mediocre at best, and the desk agent (Josh, I believe) was actually quite rude. He seemed annoyed at our very existence and didn't offer any help in giving us the basic hotel information (internet accessibility, breakfast times, etc). We were able to figure it all out on our own, but for a hotel at this price level ($109 for a basic king), I honestly expected a little more. The room itself was pretty "lived-in", meaning there were a few stains on the carpet, bedspread, and shower curtain. I read in previous reviews about poor air conditioners and, while I know they are in the process of replacing them, they might want to make it a high priority especially in Florida in August.

As a caveat, I"ll say that I work in the service industry (retail), and my husband and I are well-traveled, but certainly not high maintenance. None of these problems were bad enough to complain to management, but overall this hotel needs a little more attention to detail or a lower price. I'm not expecting a Waldorf here, but past experiences at Hampton Inns and the like have been a much better value for the price.

As far as the service goes, I'm willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, maybe I looked like someone who picked on him in high school.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback, as I will definitely use it to improve my abilities at the front desk and improve overall in customer service. It is my job to ensure that every guest has a smooth and very welcoming experience at the Hilton Garden Inn. Unfortunately, I failed to live up to those expectations with your stay. However, I will make sure that this doesn’t happen again and if you happen to come into the area again I would hope you give the hotel and I another chance. I will make sure that you receive the true and great experience the Hilton Garden Inn promises to deliver during every one of our guest’s stay. Again, thank you for providing us with feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to service you on your next visit to Tampa.

-Josh Grijalva. Front Desk Agent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I am a light sleeper, so when making a reservation I ALWAYS ask for a quiet room. Putting someone who asks for a quiet room over the hotel laundry when the laundry is done in the middle of the night is not smart. This alone was bad enough, but I discovered the day after I left that I had forgotten an item in the room when I checked out. I purposely called in the early afternoon, well after checkout time and before check-in, so I wouldn't stress the desk clerks, and asked if they could please check if housekeeping had found it. No one called back. After a second call, two days later, I finally received a call back.

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the University of South Florida. There are plenty of other hotels in the area to choose from. I don't need the frustration of interrupted sleep and an unresponsive staff, especially when I go out of my way to be considerate.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the second floor over the hotel laundry. Laundry is done in the middle of the night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback, we use all forms of feedback to improve our performance. We are all truly sorry you did not have a restful visit with us, and that you had issues contacting us about your lost and found item. I have discussed this issue with my housekeeping department to ensure that this sort of situation does not happen again. You should have received a prompt call back and I am very sorry this did not happen. Also please rest assured should your travels bring you back to Tampa we can add a special request on your file to ensure that you are not placed on the second floor, our higher floors also offer great views of the nature preserve directly behind the hotel. I am currently investigating why our laundry facility was so disruptive on the night in question, as you normally cannot hear it in any part of the hotel.
Again, thank you for providing us with feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as a guest on your next visit to Tampa.

Sarah Bates
813-342-5000
Manning, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am not a person who gives false praise nor am I easy to really please. However, I have nothing but praise for our stay at this Garden Inn. We were here to search for apartments for our daughter to go to USF. The location was very near campus and places to eat. The facility was good and standard for Hilton Garden Inns. The same for the room. What took it from normal was the staff. They accomodated every request, answered every question and were just extremely helpful and polite. The breakfast was extremely good. I booked through priceline so got a very low price for our 3 night stay and now I am torn. I do not want to stay anywhere else when we come back to visit our daughter but they cannot guarantee the same rate again. To the managers and staff, you are doing an excellent job. Thank you!

You can contact me at paxvilleboy at gmail.com if anyone has any questions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We understand that a lot of hotels in the Tampa area offer a lot of similar amenities, room types etc, so we put in a lot of effort to have a team here that consistently goes above and beyond for our guests, which is what sets us apart. We are all so pleased that you had a great stay with us, and please don’t hesitate to contact us when you plan on coming back to Tampa, we will ensure that you get the lowest available rate.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Sarah Bates, General Manager
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here during a recent Busch Gardens weekend trip.
THE GOOD: staff is friendly, room was good size (king suite), the fridge/microwave nice addition, about 10 min. Or less from BG depending on traffic, love the free wifi and the breakfast was yummy (we did the B&B package, so worth the extra $10 for all 4 but wouldn't be worth$10 each).

THE NOT GREAT: our room was right off the elevator so it was noisy whenever people got off, funny smell when we first got to the rom (but got used to it-it wasn't too horrible) the hot tub (one reason we chose this hotel) was bearly Luke warm, only 2 jets really worked and the light (from inside the hot tub) was broken with exposed wires-a bit scary (we got out when we discovers this), as others stated, the A/C was pretty loud (but helped drown out the rude people getting off the elevator noise). Oh and the wifi would lose its connection occasionally.

Overall, this hotel was just OK and not really worth the price. My parents stayed in another hotel down the road for half the price and it was just as good.

Room Tip: If you get a room right off the elevator, get another room before you settle in.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit with us here in Tampa. We are all very glad you had some great interactions with our team and that you enjoyed your breakfast. Please rest assured we are in the process of replacing all the room air conditioners in the hotel, unfortunately this does take some time with over 150 air conditioners to replace, but we should be done with this task by the end of the year, we are also in the process of renovating our whirlpool tub.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you in the near future.
Sarah Bates, General Manager
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I called for a last minute staycation with my husband and I was able to book a room with no problems with very little notice from Josh at the front desk. (Thank you Josh!) When we arrive the front desk ladies were super nice and check in was smooth and fast and the room they gave us was pretty and had a great decor. My husband loved the big flat screen TV and I liked that the room had a fridge a microwave AND a coffee maker. I loved the comfy beds and that the bathroom was nice, clean and modern looking. It was late so we ordered room service, the food was very good. The wings were great and the fish and chips AMAZING. My husband ordered the NY strip and it came to the room cooked just the way he wanted. We even loved the Cheesecake we ordered for dessert. While we waited for the food we ordered a movie and had a wonderful "Date Night" with great food, drinks from the cute pantry in the lobby, and a movie. Breakfast the next morning was a real treat. We got omelets cooked with our choice of fillings and the waffle station was great. Our server was FANTASTIC, she was attentive and friendly and really seemed to enjoy making the guests feel at home and relaxed. Check-out was easy and fast and again we met another friendly front desk person. We even got to-go coffees from this cute coffee station they have in the lobby. Our staycation at the Hilton Garden Inn was wonderful from the moment we called to book the room to the time we left with our coffees in hand. I would highly recommend this hotel with its great staff and ammenities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
North Miami, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I will start this review by saying that the only reason this is even a two star/poor rating instead of 1 star/terrible is because of one of their employees, Anjay.

I booked this hotel on priceline for a one night stay. I was taking my brother up for a really short visit to see my alma mater, the University of South Florida. This hotel is about 5 minutes from the campus and conveniently located near I-75, and it's in a nice area of Temple Terrace. I got a great deal on priceline. It was about half off what the other sites had, and more like 60% off the rate to book directly with Hilton.

I expected much more from the Hilton brand. We called on our way to Tampa to see what rooms they had available, and to see if we could snag a double. As someone who has worked in the travel industry, I knew that we may have had to make some sacrifices on our room, but it can't hurt to ask and call ahead. The first two employees I encountered seemed to have the attitude of "you get what you pay for", rather than giving good customer service. One of the women was either a supervisor or seemed more experienced than the other, and this created some chaos when we checked in. The first employee was going to upgrade us and the other stopped her because we booked third party, so we "get what they have left"...This meant we got a king sized bed rather than two doubles and a smoking room for two non smokers that have pretty bad reactions to cigarette smoke. Fantastic. We figured we would see how things went before making a big deal about anything.

They sent us up to a room on the 6th floor, the smoking floor. As soon as we got out of the elevator, we were hit with a strong stench of cigarettes. My eyes were immediately irritated and my throat started to close up. When I opened the door to our room, the bed was unmade, and there were clothes and a laptop on it. I quickly closed the door, and headed downstairs. The women at the desk seemed confused and then realized they had put someone in that room and then changed their room, but the person hadn't taken all of their stuff yet. The ruder employee of the two told me to just go back up to the room, and I told her again that the bed was unmade and asked if someone could come clean the room. She looked at me like I had just made the most ridiculous request, and then gave us a key to the room across the hall. Our second room still had the king bed and cigarette issue, but at least it was vacant. We opened a window and left for a few hours to see if that would help the smoke situation. When we came back, it was still unbearable.

I went downstairs and asked the employee that just came on for the next shift, Anjay, if he could help us in any way. He said that they were oversold, and he didn't have any rooms to move us to, so he had someone send up their "ozone" machine that is supposed to eliminate the smoke smell. They do this on cruise ships, and I know it usually works, so we waited in the lobby while they worked on our room. The hotel does have free wifi, so we were able to lounge for a bit, and I used that time to look up hotels in the area. I knew that it was better to pay $100 for a new hotel than to come back to Miami feeling sick and missing work or going to the doctor. I was already starting to feel ill from the short time that we were in the room, so I knew that sleeping there was not an option. Let me just say, I have friends and relatives that smoke, but I have never been so bothered by smoke. I think even smokers would have a hard time with how strong it was. While we were waiting in the lobby, I heard Anjay telling people they were oversold and helping people that booked direct find a room at local Hilton chains.

After about an hour, we went back to our room and although it smelled better, that smoke was still there. I called Anjay and asked if he could do anything and that I was willing to pay for an upgrade. He knew of a family that wanted a smoking room, but with double beds. He called them anyways to see if they wanted to switch and just get a roll-away bed for their son. At first they declined, but 5 minutes later, Anjay called back and said they wanted to switch. Thank goodness!

We swapped keys, and I went up to our new room. Smoke free! Was it problem free? Nope. The thermostat was broken so we had limited options with the A/C unit, one of the lamps wouldn't stay on so we just kept it off, and the TV was fuzzy and had lines through it. Other than that, everything was fine so I wasn't going to complain about the little things. We were comfortable and able to breathe, and I was satisfied with our room for the price we paid. For the rest of our stay, everything was fine, but that mess in the beginning set a really negative tone for the trip. I'm so thankful that Anjay was so hard working and actually made the effort to get us into a non smoking room. It saved us a headache and money because we were so close to just heading to another hotel in the area.

After the trip, Hilton sent me an email saying they have a "Best Price Guaranteed" program where they will match prices from travel sites. It may be worth looking at because this hotel seemed to favor direct guests by sending them to nearby hotels because they oversold for the time we were there.

My recommendation would be to make this either a nonsmoking hotel, or to somehow work on the ventilation for the smoking floors. The smoke was worse than any hotel I've ever been in.

Room Tip: Non smoking room! Even if you are a smoker, you'll want to smoke outside. It's hard to breat...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sarah B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Megan,
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. At first I was confused reading your comments, but once I noticed your stay was nearly a year ago, it made sense. Please rest assured there have been a lot of positive changes since your visit in August 2011, first of all, the team member that you had issues with is no longer with our hotel. We are very limited on changes we can make to reservations made on third party web sites, however that is no excuse to not treat you with respect at all times. We do encourage all our guests to book directly with the hotel or via our web site, as we do promise the best rates that way, plus you get the flexibility of being able to make changes, to cancel if needed and to also get your benefits if you are a Hilton HHonors member, like points, complementary upgrade etc.
We are also now a 100% smoke free hotel and have converted all of our smoking guest rooms to non-smoking rooms, and have been so for many months now. We have also made many other upgrades in our rooms and hotel like new carpet, wall vinyl etc.
I am very sorry for the way you were treated last year, this is not our standard here and I am sorry you had this experience. We do hope you will give us a try in 2012 if your travels bring you to Tampa to check out our improvements!
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon
Sarah Bates
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

stayed here two night and on arrival was treeted great by the reception. Room was great as we were there for only two nights. Busch Gardens is really close to this hotel.

Did not use the facilities but did have a look and they looked ok.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North? Share your experiences!