“Lots of room, not a Cattle-boat Op” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 attractions in Tavernier
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Conch Republic Divers offers primarily private and semiprivate instruction. We do not try to be the fastest around or the cheapest-especially for the basic open water class. It is our approach that you get scuba certified once and you might as well do it right!That said, I believe our price is competitive. At the end of your course you will have a dive table and a log book. Our instructors are patient and thorough and have been diving for years.After scuba diving you'll also like our private warm water showers with dressing area. Plus dedicated internet access for checking your email.Come join our captains and crew and let us provide you with a scuba diving adventure while enjoying other activities the Florida Keys has to offer. Staying in Key Largo or Islamorada, Tavernier is only a few miles to go to have some of the best scuba diving while in the Florida Keys.
South AZ
“Lots of room, not a Cattle-boat Op”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Love these guys. They know a few off-the-beaten path places to anchor to find nice reefs. They tend to cater to recreational diving, so expect shallow trips. No frills - bring your own snacks for between dives.

Visited December 2013

Fort Stewart, Georgia
“Awesome Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I went down to the Keys for my first time to get scuba certified with Conch Republic. My experience was one that I will always remember. Great instructors, owners and crew. I thought they really took the time to make sure I was doing everything right and safe. The equipment was great and no issues with the boat on both days we did our open water dives. I will definitely go back to them and hopefully get my wife certified through them as well.

Asheville, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
“A nice diving experience. Very professional.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I very much enjoyed my dives with Conch Republic. I've dove a number of operators throughout the Keys and Conch Republic impressed me. All of the crew and staff were professional and eager to please. The boat was kept clean and in good repair. This isn't a cattle boat operation. There were only a few of us on the boat and the conditions were not glass smooth. They really tried to get us out to the wrecks, but conditions weren't good for a mooring so we did some reefs instead. On one 2-tank we ended up doing an extended drift dive in a roughly 4 kt current - what a treat. Missed the 7 ft hammerhead though that was checking out the boat while we were down, but saw a lot of great marine life otherwise.

Operations: Good pre-trip and pre-dive briefings. Excellent boat handling. You set up your own gear and transfer it between dives. Entries are giant stride off the back, and recovery with twin ladders on the back. Crew puts out a recovery line and takes your fins as you get out of the water. Boat is a 46' Newton - fairly stable in rough seas. Plenty of room for divers. Camera bucket is large, though there is no practical camera table.

My only complaint with my experience was that after not being able to hit the wrecks on day one, they kept filling us with false hope that we were going to try to do the same wrecks the second day, even though conditions were identical. I would prefer an honest assessment from the experienced captain rather than filling the divers with false hope just to keep them aboard. I'm diving no matter what we wind up on, but it would have saved me on the nitrox fills if they had simply said we're not going to get to the wrecks today, we'll be on shallow reefs instead. I was once on a charter where conditions meant we didn't know ahead of time what dives we'd be making. That operator loaded both nitrox and air tanks on the boat for us and told us they'd just charge us for the ones we decided to use based on where we wound up.

Anyway, bottom line. In the top tier of dive operators I've dived with in the Keys. Certainly the tops in the Upper Keys. I will definitely dive with Conch Republic again and again!

Visited November 2013
Lakeville, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“I only dive with the best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

well just back from diving the keys wrecks with conch republic divers..again!
the staff are the best in the business,,.. they go out of there way to make you happy..
they will take you where ever you want to go..
they even rent HP steel 100s w/nitrox for the wrecks..

Visited November 2013
Mt Airy, Md
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Experiences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Easy to find location on the West side of Overseas Hwy. Great dock for launching. Food place right on the dock, dive shop has good supplies, Was fortunate a few years ago to dive with Chatterton and the Wounded Warriors! Talk about amazing people, not John, but the veterans. Chatterton was almost amazing (he seemed truly genuine), down to earth and loved having fun. All around the most fun I have every encountered on a dive boat.
Good website, well equipped shop, friendly staff and good times! Nitrox mix was right on the money each time.
Have used this dive operation many times and hope to be able to use them many times more!
Enjoy!!!
Sorry to hear about those of you who didn't have a positive experience…I understand how that would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Visited March 2013