“My May stay at Island Bay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
You added Island Bay Resort to your Saves list
92530 Overseas Highway, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“My May stay at Island Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was my 3rd stay at Island Bay and as usual I had a very nice time.

I stayed in 2 rooms, since I had waited a little too long to book (this place is getting very popular!) and couldn't stay in the one room the whole time.
My first night was in room 4, which was a small studio, with a micro kitchen. It was tiny, but very comfortable and clean.

The next 2 nights were in room 6, which was about twice the size, with a real kitchen and refrigerator. The bathroom was identical the the ones in the smaller rooms, but this room had a totally seperate bedroom with one of the absolute best air conditioners in all my stays in so many different places in the Keys. Both of the units were silent, yet very capable of cooling down the rooms, even in the heat of mid-May.
The large flat screen tvs (one in the main room and one in the bed room) both swiveled out from the wall and had many cable stations.
I used the Weber bbq outdoor 2 nights and the bigger kitchen made for much easy meal prep, as did the larger fridge. I wished they had more supplies in the kitchen, like foil, cling wrap, spices and sauces, but there's a Winn Dixie close by to pick all that stuff up.

I did some snorkeling around the docks to the left of the property. It was overcast and the visibility wasn't the best, but I saw plenty of fish, with lots of snapper hiding under the docks and some bigger schools of fish swimming in to grab a bite! There were barracda and cassiopea jellyfish all over. I even managed to see a very tiny seahorse, hiding in the sea grass, just before coming out of the water at the beach!

But be sure to take care with bug protection. I forgot to reapply bug spray after snokeling and got attacked by no-see-ums, probably while I was grilling outdoors, wearing dark shorts. Will bring lightweight long pants and shirts next time!

Room Tip: Room 6 costs a little more but is LOT bigger than the smaller studio rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had booked this place based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and I have to say this is why this website works. Island bay resort was just perfect for what we needed. The full of character chalets/cottages are clean and spacious and well maintained. it was great to have a small fridge and a microwave etc for our use. But the main attraction has to be the small oasis outside of the cottages where you have a small private beach which looks out west to sea where the water is warm and shallow and ideal for swimming and snorkelling. There are sunbeds for your use where you can sit in the sun or the shade and pass the time of day. You can relax in a hammock or sit under a tree with hardly anyone else around. - Just perfect.
Location is great too. Some fantastic restaurants are only a few minutes away by car. We liked Chads and Harriettes for breakfast. Marker 88 and Snappers for dinner are also great.
Tavernier is an ideal stop on the way to Key West and we are very glad we stayed here for 6 nights and only 4 nights in Key West and not the other way around. Everything you need is conveniently located and after a long day exploring you can return to watch the sunset on the small clean private beach.
Thanks to Mike and Carol for operating this place in the way that they do. We want to return already!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 9 days in the Florida Keys. We spent 4 nights at the Island Bay Resort. Mike and Carol have created an absolutey beautiful resort. The rooms are quaint the grounds incredible. They a very helpful and can make recommendations for your stay. The rooms are all equipped with well stocked kitchens which is nice. I only have two complaints. The first, is there is an envelope that suggests that tips be given to housekeeping staff. I made our bed everyday and we were given towels for both the room and the beach, however if you left the dishes for the housekeeping staff to clean you would be charged $10.00. If you are offering housecleaning services then I feel you shouldnt be charged extra for that service. My other complaints was the bed. It was very hard and uncomfortable. Luckily enough for us we were so tired when we got back to the room we feel asleep quickly but woke up sore.Otherwise the resort was perfect!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Key West room. It is on the end and closet to the beach. It is also the smallest bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

super clean. nice little beach. watched the sunset. owners are nice people.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and i recently went on a long needed vacation to Key Largo Florida. We really did not want the hustle and bustle of Key West and just wanted a relaxing few days to decompress. We were lucky enough to stumble upon Island Bay Resort on Trip Advisor and booked a 5 day stay. My wife and i are in the tourism industry and we truly understand all that it takes to run a great operation and Mike & Carol truly have created a slice of heaven. We stayed in the room right on the water and spent hours reading on our deck and taking in the stunning sunsets. Our room had all the essential amenities, a fridge, stove, blender for making drinks, wireless internet, cable TV etc.... But what makes this place special is Mike & Carol. They truly care about their guests and do everything they can to provide folks with a wonderful vacation. They hooked us up with a great snorkeling company at the last minute and gave us a bunch of fantastic restaurant suggestions. One evening while walking to our car to go for dinner we ran into them sitting outside with a guest that had been coming there for over 15 years. We stopped to say hello and little did we know we would not be going for dinner but instead would sit for 4 hours with them drinking wine and sharing stories. It was a wonderful evening and within minutes we felt like we were in the company of friends. They run a very welcoming, clean, relaxing establishment and we really felt at home their.

If you are looking for a fancy, resort type of experience this might not be the place for you. They don't serve dinner or breakfast on site but you can choose from numerous great places to eat nearby some even in walking distance. This is where you go if you want a truly relaxing vacation in a beautiful environment with awesome people. Thank you Mike & Carol for taking care of us and making us feel at home in your beautiful oasis. Your place is really one of the best kept secrets in the Keys.

Luke & Amber

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oriental, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Mike and Carol are great hosts. They treat the property and their guests like family. Property is very well maintained. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Kayaks and snorkel gear are available free of charge. Good snorkeling under their dock (much better than Pennekamp). We saw lots of fish, crabs, lobster, and a manatee. Evening ritual is to watch the sunset over the bay. We were there six nights and wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Room 1 (Key West Room) is the only room that faces the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Spotless Clean Room! No hassles whatsover, peaceful, and quiet. The two person kayak was awesome, and the private beach had great snorkeling. We just loved it here. My only complaint was that I could only book it for two nights, as they were booked solid the entire month of May.

Room Tip: All are good, room #9 is furthest from the water, with #1 being closest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!