“Perfect Get Away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
You added Island Bay Resort to your Saves list
92530 Overseas Highway, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oriental, North Carolina
“Perfect Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Mike and Carol are great hosts. They treat the property and their guests like family. Property is very well maintained. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Kayaks and snorkel gear are available free of charge. Good snorkeling under their dock (much better than Pennekamp). We saw lots of fish, crabs, lobster, and a manatee. Evening ritual is to watch the sunset over the bay. We were there six nights and wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Room 1 (Key West Room) is the only room that faces the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Spotless Clean Room! No hassles whatsover, peaceful, and quiet. The two person kayak was awesome, and the private beach had great snorkeling. We just loved it here. My only complaint was that I could only book it for two nights, as they were booked solid the entire month of May.

Room Tip: All are good, room #9 is furthest from the water, with #1 being closest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We booked one night on the way to Key West in cottage 1 (waterfront). As soon as we pulled in just before sunset, we wished we were staying longer. The grounds are beautiful, and the cottage interior was charming. We enjoyed the big waterfront chaise lounges as the sun set and a the dark settled I'm with warm breezes and birds calling. Next time we'll stay for several days to take advantage of the kayaks they provide to go out on the the crystal clear bay and to check out some other upper keys attractions.

• Stayed May 2012
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of having a small vacation, sans children, thanks to the generosity of our parents. I wanted to choose a place that I had never stayed at before but close to where we usually stay when we visit the Keys. I read about Island Bay Resort being in the Top list of resorts for the area so I decided to check it out. The resort is small, with only about ten cottages, but quaintly laid out. When we turned off of the Overseas Highway down the small driveway, I felt as though as I was transported to a private island getaway. It was a wonderful atmosphere and offered a beautiful view of the bayside. The accommodations were very comfortable and suiting for the tropical setting. We only had the opportunity to stay a short while but we cherished every moment. Tavernier is a smaller, less known area of the Keys but it has so much to offer. It has wonderful breakfast cafes and waterside restaurants which offer fare appealing to all. It has a little town center, including a movie theater which is small but quite comfortable. And as always, we enjoyed the water. We went snorkeling with our usual, Tavernier Cruises, and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. The captain is very friendly and a wonderful narrator. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to experience all that this tiny island has to offer. What another lovely trip!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Thanks to TripAdvisor for helping us find this place. Mike and Carol have a beautiful little resort where you feel like you are staying at a friends house. They gave us a ton of good recommendations for things to see and places to eat. The beach was very comfortable with a great view of the sunset. We went for a fun kayak trip and had a quick snorkel right off their dock. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone staying in the upper Keys.

• Stayed May 2012
Antioch, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our seventh annual stay at Island Bay...we would NEVER think of staying anywhere else in the Keys. Mike and Carol are the consumate hosts and very knowledgable about the area. The grounds are immaculate...Mike is always working on something. (He's so hardworking I actually end up feeling a bit guilty for being on vacation!) The cottages are very clean and quiet, despite being just off of US 1. The way Mike and Carol have landscaped the property gives a real feeling of seclusion. The cottages are not only well-decorated, each has an individual theme. The efficiency kitchen and (especially) the deck with a grill are a real plus...nothin' like getting a good steak from the nearby Winn-Dixie and firing up the Weber. And their beach has great sunsets! We've only been home two days and I'm already missing Island Bay!

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Island Bay Resort, and we loved every minute of it. The decor, landscaping and rooms were adorable. The entire atmosphere was tranquil, calm, relaxing, and welcoming. We loved all the chairs, hammocks, and tiki huts on the property. The entire place, including the rooms are well furnished, clean, and extremely well taken care of.

We stayed in the Key Largo Cottage - #10. We loved having a little extra space, but all of the cottages appeared just as accommodating and cute. The waterfront room was nice, as the deck sat right on the beach, but all of the rooms were super easy to access the beach from.

My husband and I dozed off in one of the hammocks one evening around 10pm for about an hour. I woke up thinking "this is just absolutely the life"!!! It is the perfect place to renew your spirit and enjoy all the Keys have to offer. You can enjoy the resort and do absolutely nothing, but yet is close to many attractions and restaurants if you want to get out and explore.

I highly recommend the Island Bay Resort - we stay in chain hotels all the time when travelling with our kids, and were so happy we chose something different and unique to give us the complete Keys experience. We hope to come back again real soon!!

Oh - and the Key Lime white chocolate that is left for you is out of this world - we stopped in Key Largo at the place where they make them to buy more!! Had to fight my husband for it!! :)

Room Tip: There are 2 rooms that will be a little bigger, but any of the rooms are cute and very close to the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!