“Perfect Honeymoon Spot. Boutique Luxury At Reasonable Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
You added Island Bay Resort to your Saves list
92530 Overseas Highway, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarasota, Florida
“Perfect Honeymoon Spot. Boutique Luxury At Reasonable Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

You have three options in the Keys. High priced luxury hotels, dingy motels, and the more rare, boutique cottages run by caring inn-keepers. The last is tough to find! My new wife and I tried many and finally found Island Bay Resort in Tavernier. It is an extremely clean, modern and well kept property that extends from the immaculate bay-side beach to the modern bathrooms and kitchens in each cottage. My wife and I felt so much more comfortable here than at the soul-less big hotels. You can tell a lot about an establishment by how they spend their time and money on maintenance. Everything felt clean and modern. We saved a lot of money making our own drinks and then walking just a few steps to the beach. We loved watching the sunset from the lounge chairs on the dock, playing Bocci ball, Cornhole, kayaking and snorkeling in the bay. The nearby Tavernier creek provides easy access to the Atlantic side and fantastic reefs (This can't be overstated. If you rent a boat but stay on the bay-side, you'll want to be close to access point to the atlantic side, or you'll spend all day driving thorough channels just to get to the open ocean). We stayed in Key Largo and Key West at decent places, but we're only coming back to the Island Bay Resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Ashand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I don't usually do reviews, this is actually my first one but we loved Island Bay so much that I wanted to let people know. It's a great place to stay, very clean, great beach and the owners are so friendly. It's a private beach so there aren't a lot of people on it. They have snorkeling gear you can use there at the resort for free as well as kayaks. They have chairs on the beach and hammocks. It feels more like you are staying at someone's house rather than a hotel or resort. This is THE place to stay if you are thinking about a trip to the Keys!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This place is really great! Very clean cottages and an awesome little private beach for the guests. Mike really keeps the place very tidy. The grounds have all kind of lounge chairs, hammocks and also some games you can play. We would definately return again!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I wanted to take my mother to the Keys for Memorial Day weekend and after reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor I had to check it out. I booked us for 3 nights at IBR and I must say my high expectations were EXCEEDED. Everything you read on trip advisor about this resort is 100% true. The setting is quaint, the cottages are VERY clean and have neat details that make each one unique. Being on the gulf side is a plus since the water is so flat you can comfortably lay on a raft, which they provide, or take a kayak out in the bay, which they also provide.
Mike and Carol are very helpful on restaurant options and definatly ask them for recomendations for snorkle/dive tours. They know all the ins and outs and led me to the right company which made for the best snorkling trip ever!!!
I will be back again to watch the beautiful sunsets right from the private beach at IBR. A true GEM!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Take off your watch & forget about time when you come to this piece of heaven on earth!! We have been coming to this location annually since 2003 when we made our first trip to the keys. It is the only place that we have stayed since my husband discovered their web site. We have never bothered to look anywhere else. If they are full, we reschedule our trip. Every time we come down, there are new amenities that have been added. There are 10 immaculate rooms each with a kitchenette & decorated with a Florida Keys theme. The property is beautifully landscaped & very private, quiet & intimate. There is a private beach & the sunsets are exquisite. The owners are extremely knowledgeable & helpful in regards of things to do & see. The dock on their beach hosts a variety of ocean life that is fun to observe while snorkeling.

• Stayed June 2011
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed in a wonderful cozy cottage. Clean and green. The grounds are beautiful as is the bay scenery. Centrally located near upper Keys activities. You can hear the cars on US1 but don't let that deter you from staying here.

Room Tip: Middle to bay end
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I had schedule two nights here on our way to Key West. We loved it so much we stayed a third night. The rooms are very clean and there was even charcoal in the grill for us to use. Mike and Carol are great hosts, and will give you lots of suggestions on places to eat and things to do. The private beach is great. We basically had the beach to ourselves. It was a nice, quiet place to stay. The only thing I didn't like was the bed and pillows in the room we stayed the first night. I was a very hard queen size bed and the pillows weren't great. That room was booked the second night we were there and the second room we stayed in was perfect, I think it was the Key Largo room. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!