“Wonderful diving and great crew!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 18 Activities in Tavernier
Type: Specialty Shops, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating since 1978, CAPTAIN SLATE'S SCUBA ADVENTURES is the premier dive, snorkel, and glass bottom boat operator. Located in Tavernier, we take groups to dive or snorkel at the best sites off of the Florida Keys. With three boats , your voyage experience is kept personable, relaxed, and exclusive. Don't forget - a visit to the Keys is not complete without the world famous Creature Feature! Our highly qualified staff offers PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI, SEI, IANTD, DAN certifications and more, so start or continue your dive education here! What are you waiting for? Book your diving adventure!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Noblesville, Indiana
“Wonderful diving and great crew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I went down to the Keys to finish up our diving certification. We started in Indiana and didn't want to wait for the quarry to get warm enough. Found Captain Slates online and set everything up. Wayne was an amazing instructor. Gave us some good tips for when we go out on our own. On the 3rd and 4th dive, there was no one else on the boat. Rather then rescheduling us, they took us out on basically a private charter! Had a chance to get to know several of the crew members on and off the boat. For our very first dive together, we were the only two divers on the boat along with 12 snorkelers. One girl was asking how to use the snorkel gear. They took the time to shower her and her husband and made sure EVERYONE was comfortable before sending anyone off the boat. Great place. Great people. Will definitely be going back! Thanks for the great experiences!!

Visited March 2014

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“We will be back next year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I did a couple of days of diving with Cap'n Slates crew this fall and will definitely be back, creature feature was a blast.

Visited October 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My family of 5 went on a snorkeling excursion with Captain Slate on Saturday, December 28th, 2013. It was a bit windy, but a staff member commented prior to our departure that the waves were only about a foot at the location that we would be snorkeling. After a very choppy 45 minute boat ride to the site, we began our snorkeling experience. Well, the 1 foot waves were closer to 3-4 foot waves and it was very difficult to swim into the current, which is where we needed to go to see the reef. I am an above average swimmer, but after fighting the current for about 30 minutes, and not seeing anything worthwhile, I just gave up and went back to the boat. My two teenage sons were also very frustrated. Over half of the 35 passengers were already back on the boat well before the time we were to depart. In my opinion, we shouldn't have even gone out in these conditions. It was a very frustrating day for my family and a complete waste of $200. When I complained about the conditions after trip, I was told "we did the best with the conditions we had". No the best would have been to not go out in those conditions!

Visited December 2013
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
“Wow, Made my Trip Worth It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Choose this place because of the reviews and the excellence rating, but the day played a trick on me. The Wind was way too strong and it brought the currents against me when I was snorkeling. Though regardless saw many small fishes, turtles, stingrays, and an OCTOPUS !!! amazing trip friendly crew, supplied with all the equipment necessary. Willing to return.

Visited December 2013
Hamburg, Germany
“Diving Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Did a guided dive , and must say i had heaps of fun!
It was an a lot better intruduction than i had in other places and our guide made sure we where comfortable with the equipment used.
Had 2 nice diving spots , one of ehm a statue of Jesus , with a short history lesson to it on board. The second one was in a nice reef part. We had to cut thisone short due to an aproaching storm. Better save than sorry.
So all in all , i can recomend cpt slates and ill defenetly use ehm again.

Visited October 2013