“Fresh local seafood, terrific service, great experience overall” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Rensselaer, Indiana
“Fresh local seafood, terrific service, great experience overall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

While walking into the restaurant, there were several people sitting outside on benches. I thought that there was sufficient seating for people that were waiting for a table. When leaving my name, the hostess said that the wait was about 30 minutes. I went and did a little looking around in the shops for a few minutes to kill some time and then made my way back. I watched the time and when I was actually called up to be seated it was about 32 minutes. They were pretty accurate in the time that was quoted for how long we would wait. We were seated and our server came up and greeted us within two minutes. Our server, Brittney, was very kind and welcoming. It didn't seem forced but was very genuine. We ordered and the food was delicious. The grouper was local and fresh. The shrimp were also gulf shrimp and tasted very fresh and flavorful. The service that Brittney gave us was excellent. Every interaction with the staff at the restaurant was kind, helpful, and sincere. I have worked in fine dining and 4 star restaurants for several years, I was very pleased with the quality of food and the quality of service that we received. I would go back in an instant. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is family owned and not part of a chain. Well done to the owners, managers, chefs, and staff!

• Visited June 2013

86% Recommend
Sarasota, Florida
“Superb Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Tarpon Springs sponge docks means all-Greek all the time but Rusty Bellies provides a welcome change. I would say that it is all-seafood all the time even though there is a limited possibility for steak, chicken wings and burgers. Nevertheless, if you are looking for seafood, you have found the right spot. Rusty Bellies gets fish fresh every day (their boat is next to the dock behind the restaurant) and from the busy lunch business, it must be gone after dinner. The menu is expansive and moderately priced with large portions. I ordered Block & Tackle which is a combination of shrimp, onion straws and calamari. Although it was listed as an appetizer, it satisfied me for lunch and for dinner that night. My dining partners had grouper and mackerel and the reports were good. Service was quick and pleasant. Do not hesitate to try Rusty Bellies.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Bucket of Shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We keep heading back for the bucket of shrimp. I might not be Bubba, but I've had more than my fair share of shrimp and Rusty Bellies is the best bucket going today. Maybe the best there has ever been. The only other thing I can recommend is the hush puppies. Way too many fried items on the menue. It seemed like the whole first page was just recombinations of a spread of fried items. We tried a few on our first visit and have not visited that mistake again.

There are a lot of very good Greek joints just down the block, but it only goes to show how much we like the Shrimp that we pass them more often than not to hit up Bellies.

I hear they are in for a new menue. I look forward to it, but even if it never happens it's still worth hitting the deck for a bucket of shrimp.

• Visited April 2013
Holiday, Florida
“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

They serve good food, mostly seafood. Prices are on the higher side, but worth it if you have the budget for it.

• Visited July 2012
Fairfield, California
“Nice Location on the Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Met up with some long ago friends here at their recommendation. We sat outside on in the Tiki area which was very nice. The food was excellent -- 5 of our party ordered seafood while one ordered steak. All were excellently prepared.

Pros: Nice location
Con: Music on the tiki deck was a bit loud for conversations.

• Visited May 2013