“Excellent wines!!” 5 of 5 stars

Clearwater, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent wines!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We went with another couple after getting the Groupon On "Chocolate and Wine Tasting". It was a most pleasant experience! There was another "tasting" in progress when we arrived so the 4pm guests waited in the adorable and jasmine scented courtyard. We were optimistic to see most of the guests from the prior tasting leaving with multiple purchased bottles. The couple who run the winery were charming. They were very informative and good storytellers.
But the most important part....the wines are outstanding!!! Smooth and delicious. Reds and whites both excellent. We had to get one of each!!! Next time we go, we will be inquiring about buying by the case!

Again, it's worth repeating.....the wines are outstanding!!!
Give it a chance! and remember, this is a Tarpon Springs Ma & Pop business, not Napa Valley!

Visited May 2013

Tampa, Florida
“Much better than I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I bought the wine tasting Groupon for my wife and I so we could do something different for a date night, and thought this would be interesting as neither of us had attended a wine tasting before.
Upon arriving, the owner's wife greeted us and invited us to sit in their courtyard while we waited for our tour to begin (we got there about 15 minutes early). She sat and chatted with us for a few minutes and made us feel welcomed. Two other couples were there for the tasting, and my wife and I struck up conversations with bothe couples while we waited.
We entered the winery for our tasting, and the owner introduced himself and started to give us a brief history about wine making and, specifically, how their wine is made. He was very good-natured, and very funny, but also very informative. You could tell he takes great pride in his wine making.
We were given a small box with four pieces of chocolate in them, and as we tasted the wines, we were told which chocolate went with which wine. When the tasting was done, we were able to select a glass of wine to enjoy, and also got a free bottle of our choice (we bought a second bottle because we couldn't agree on just one).
The next group was ready for their tasting, so we went back to the courtyard to finish our wine and to chat with one of the couples some more. The owners didn't seem to mind that we were still hanging out, and even checked to see if we needed anything.
I cannot recommend Castle Winery highly enough. My wife and I had a very pleasant time, and we look forward to going back when their 'wine snob' Groupon comes out.

“Fun & Informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband bought a Groupon for us for a different kind of date night. The $39 Groupon was for a wine tasting & chocolate pairing. We approached the winery from the Tarpon Ave. entrance, so at first all we saw was a gate with a large "Winery Open" sign. We entered the courtyard, which had a very shabby chic feel: lots of native Florida plants in various flower pots, a container vegetable garden, signed padlocks on all the fences, and various knick-knacks. The owner's wife greeted us and told us the earlier group was just finishing up and invited us to sit in the courtyard to wait. She chatted with us for a few minutes before heading indoors to help her husband.

The owner was very warm and inviting. He and his wife are obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about wine, winemaking, and the tastings. We enjoyed the five wines we tasted: three reds and two whites. The owner imparted his knowledge in a witty and friendly manner - not at all the snooty and condescending attitude that I think of about wine connoisseurs.

We had such a fun time, we are planning on going back for the "wine snob" tasting.

Tampa, Florida
“Hidden Gem - Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

GREAT WINE! Wonderful setting. A perfect garden. Charming poeple and educational. GREAT WINE!!! I don't even like white wine but I bought a bottle of theirs b/c it was so good!

This is a Mom n Pop operation and I couldn't be happier with my experience. The owners are warm, smart and genuinely passionate about what they do. I will be back in June for their next deal and I will be sure to stop in for a glass or a bottle during my next visit to Tarpon Springs.

I am guessing the negative reviews below are from people that prefer a more corporate wine drinking atmosphere; you know the kind where you feel like the people facilitating the tasting are probably judging you as you take part...Not here. Nothing but comfort, nice people & delicious wine.

I like Tarpon Springs. Finding out, thanks to Living Social, that a winery was in Tarpon Springs, was a NO-BRAINER to me. Plus they give you a bottle of wine of your choosing?!?! DEAL!!!

This place is nothing but CHARMING and the pad-locks are nice touch. Would def go again! THanks Mr. & Mrs. Marks!

Palm Harbor, Florida
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Don't do it! The owners are incredibly rude, the wine is disgusting and even with a groupon, it was way overpriced. I paid $37 for a Groupon which had expired because I couldn't make a reservation. When my friend and I arrived the door was locked and we were told to sit on the patio and wait. When I was finally able to talk to the owner, she told me all I could get for the $37 was 2 cheap glasses filled with about 3 oz of cheap red wine and a 1/2 bottle of white wine. We were not even allowed in the winery for a tasting or to see how the wine was made. When I asked if I could get a bottle of red wine instead of the white, both owners started yelling at me that the white was worth $25 and that I couldn't exchange it for anything else. Seems like a scam to me!