“Good Place to Stay while Visiting Ybor” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Centro Ybor Offer
Ranked #23 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Trinity
“Good Place to Stay while Visiting Ybor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Recently stayed here for business. Convenient to 7th Ave with all the night life, you can walk to most places in the area. Secure parking. Nice hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Nice clean, quiet room. Breakfast was good the next morning. I would stay here again when back in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for being a frequent contributor to trip advisor and for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate you talking about our friendly staff and stating that our hotel was clean. I also thank you for pointing out the breakfast and having a good experience there. We have three breakfast chefs that really take pride in what they do so thank you, I will mention your comments to them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Belgrade, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly/helpful. Full hot breakfast was wonderful. Very close to restaurants, bars and the shuttle will take you to the Tampa Convention Center. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to tell other travelers about your experience with our hotel, I appreciate you stating that we were clean and the staff were friendly and helpful, those are goals that I establish with my staff for every guest and I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience and most importantly that you would return, we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I go to Tampa often on business or for conventions but always stay downtown. For this latest trip, we needed to be in the Ybor area as our meetings were to be held in a building near there. Being a Hilton Honors Gold member, I knew that there were only two choices, the local Hampton Inn hotel or the Hilton Garden Inn. I opted for the HGI because the rate was great for AARP and also the breakfast choices at HGI are always excellent and made to order. I arrived early evening after several flights, it was a nice quick welcome at the front desk by their front desk supervisor, who not only welcomed me as a Gold member but also efficiently acknowledged that my preferences for foam pillows (due to allergy to down) and location of room (higher floor near elevator) had been taken care of. I cannot tell you how many times that I have been to hotels and this had not been handled so that was great! The room was very nice, very clean and the air conditioning had been already turned on, which was also great because it was 96 degrees and very humid! I settled in and decided to order room service because my group was not meeting that evening. Usually I have to order from a local takeout restaurant at an HGI, but they had room service, which was wonderful. And another big surprise, not a $50 meal either, it was under &15 and quite good for a quick meal. And again served by a friendly staff member.

The breakfast service in the restaurant lobby level was well staffed and the chef was extremely friendly, greeting guests and making sure that everyone was served. On our last day the front desk helped our group get taxis and it all went smoothly. The General Manager was at the front desk and even handed me a cold water on my way back into the room to pack. It was just a two night business trip but a nice one and I hope to be able to return to this particular HGI and maybe add on a day or two to relax by the pool. Thanks for a great stay!

Stayed July 2014
Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for being a senior reviewer on trip advisor and taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your candid comments and complimenting our food service department who put in 110% effort and usually end up at the short end of the stick in the compliment department even though the majority feel as you do so thank you for singing their praises! We do hope to see you back and again thank you!
Citrus Springs, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed in the suite, it was very nice! Lots of space, and very comfortable. The only complaint I have is the pool. It was 90 degrees outside and the pool was about 90 degrees as well, not refreshing!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I am so glad that the second time was a charm! Repeat customers is a goal of our and satisfied repeat customers is truly a very good thing for us, so thank you for sharing your thoughts. As far as the pool it is naturally heated by the sun and this time of year there is no way for us to cool it down and our pool operator advised against emptying the ice machine in there...after your comments I am probably going to do that once a week when he is not here, thanks again!
Winter Haven, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you want the perfect spot to visit Ebor City then this is it! It is located just two blocks from the main street where all the fun is. Everything is within walking distance. I enjoyed my evenings immensely visiting the many restaurants and bars. There was a lot of live music.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for joining Trip advisor and to write a review about our area. We also find YBOR city charming and with much to do, we hope that you come back and visit again in the near future.
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Remember… when talking about a hotel, we need to situate ourselves within the reality of the hotel itself. And yes, this is NOT a luxury hotel… but it is great for the class of hotel it is in. Having said that… this is my opinion on the hotel I am currently staying in. This is the last day of my three day stay.

POSITIVE POINTS:
PERFECT location. Relaxing, yet perfectly located near all the action of Ybor City. Literally 3 minute walk from all the action in this part of town.

The hotel itself is very well maintained, and impeccably clean in every area. Huge thumbs up to the entire cleaning team. Actually, I must commend the entire staff in this hotel, so friendly and helpful with everything you need.

The room is a decent size, with comfortable bed for serene sleep (provided the drunk neighbors do not riot)… and I really liked the fact that it has a separate working area, which is a bonus when travelling on business. I must also applaud the fact that the bathroom is a decent size (not huge, but adequate), with all amenities needed (Neutrogena branded products – EXCELLENT), and a shower that works flawlessly.

Free internet works perfectly fast.

The pool area is relatively small, but again… this is not a holiday resort, so it is adequate and perfect to relax in, for these hot days.

I also enjoyed the outdoor courtyard next to the bar, which was perfect for an aperitif before going out for dinner on 7th avenue. Bar prices are in line with outside competition. Well done!

NEGATIVE POINTS:
A few... and invite the management to look into. This is not criticism, but suggestions for improvement.

Air-conditioning system did well to cool the room… but is really, REALLY VERY noisy. Needed to turn it off at night, else could not get to sleep. I have stayed all over the world in various hotels, and I know this problem can be solved… IT CAN BE SOLVED, even though it will cost Hilton money.

Elevator is… in lack of a better word… pathetic. Only one, and works extremely slow. Broke down a couple of times during these past two days. Do something about that.

Lastly, a minor comment… there is a SMALL gym. However, equipment (though in perfect working condition) – is very limited. I would have appreciated a set of dumbbells – They are cheap, you know?

SUMMING UP:
I come to Tampa only twice a year for 2 or 3 days at a time on business, and have stayed over the past years in different hotels in this city. You ask me if I will return to this hotel, and the answer is simple… YES… I will. I just hope that next time I come back… these smaller points will be adjusted and eliminated from my negative side. Maybe then… I will upgrade my classification to 5 star…

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back - away from 7th Av. Rooms can be noisy if facing 7th av. especially o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Edward C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our property, we rarely get such detailed and pointed comments. Thank you also for being a senior reviewer. Our elevator did act up this weekend and it seemed like the team from Otis elevator should have rented a room! An elevator is beyond the scope of our maintenance team to repair. We had one incident where another guest pushed on the door before it opened and somehow threw off a sensor, the other was a mechanical issue and sometimes weekend response teams are not as quick as during regular business hours, so we apologize. Our exercise room could use free weights I agree and I have addressed this with our owners. Our guests also have the privilege of working out at the best gym in Tampa Power house gym less than a mile from here. I am truly grateful for the comments in the positive that you wrote, I attempt to make sure that we are clean all of the time and your favorable opinions helped me see that we are working hard and it is showing. We hope to see you again!
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

1. The room was unbearably humid. We called maintenance two times, they never admitted they couldn't fix the air conditioning, but did come and change the nasty, black, caked air filter.

2. The floor was so dirty, the bottom of my socks were black.

3. When you make reservations at Hilton.com, nowhere does it say that they require full payment for your entire stay prior to check in. The standard Hilton confirmation letter with hotel information is sent, but at the bottom in the fine print, it says "your credit/debit card may be authorized for the entire stay." THEY DON'T MEAN "MAY".

The drama started two days prior to my arrival when I received an email from the hotel letting me know they needed a credit card to hold the entire amount of my stay prior to check in. Huh? I responded to the email and the Guest Services manager promptly replied, saying they would only hold one night. When we arrived at the hotel the "we're going to put a hold on your credit card for the full amount of your stay" drama continued. Of course, the Guest Services manager was not there, but Anthony was. I showed him the email. He agreed to place a hold for one night's charges and wait for the manager to come in the morning. I went ahead and signed the paperwork (with the fine print about them authorizing the entire amount of my stay on the card). After we walked away from the desk, he put several holds on my credit card, $754, $100, $293...over a thousand dollars? The total amount estimated for the stay provided in my reservation letter was under $700. I received a fraud alert from my card company. My card had been shut off.

The next morning Alyssa was at the desk. I asked why the holds were on my account. She had no idea and removed them. No manager was at the hotel. The Guest Services manager would not be in until noon. I told her to remove my credit card from the account. She explained there had to be a card "on file." One of my roommates on the trip put her card "on file." As soon as we left the desk, her card too was "authorized" for the entire amount of our stay. Therefore, both of our credit cards had been "authorized" for the entire amount of the stay.

When you give these idiots a credit card, you are fair game. They are "credit card hold" CRAZY. They say their clientele often leave without paying. I guess they attract crappy guests.

Bottom line, it's okay for the hotel to have policies, but they should inform guests UPFRONT instead of hiding the devil in the small, fine print that you can't even see without magnifying glasses. I didn't expect that from the Hilton, but alas, it is what it is.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
I am writing in reply to your comments and to offer up explanations to the average person searching trip advisor that may be alarmed by your comments. We recently had the entire buildings carpet cleaned by an outside vendor on top of our maintenance team who cleans our carpets on a rotating quarterly basis and as a matter of fact we cleaned the room upon your departure as the notes I read from the housekeeper said the room needed the carpet cleaned. On high volume days with events which you were coming in for we do authorize credit cards for pre arrivals mainly to make sure everyone is arriving has a valid credit card for payment as we are turning away multitudes of people to accommodate you. Your credit card did decline and that was the reason we reached out to you, for payment as our orgination is for profit we have to make sure all guest pay and can pay. When any guest checks in we have to make sure that they can pay for the WHOLE stay, otherwise we would have to contact you daily for payment and this would be inconvenient for both parties. I was surprised to see how many reviews you have posted and this has never come up before as any hotel I stay in authorizes for the entire stay and we will continue this practice. The notes I have on your room for maintenance room reports that your room was not cold enough and my chief engineer dealt with you personally on three occasions and had the readings at 66 degrees and I am sorry that we could not get it cooler than that on a day that was 109 degree heat index that was the best that those machines could put out.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Ybor Historic District? Share your experiences!