“Clean, no frills, nice view” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 25%
Ranked #75 of 158 hotels in Tampa
East Granby, Connecticut
“Clean, no frills, nice view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here in February for a business trip. The room was clean and in pretty good shape. It's surrounded by other hotels. I wish I had rented a car as the dining options were very limited. There is a pool but I didn't get a chance to use it on my trip. Definitely a decent and decently priced option for a business trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
North Port FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I discovered this little jewel some years ago when I booked our first cruise out of the Port of Tampa. Since then, we have enjoyed many stays here, not only because of our preference for Holiday Inns (We are Priority Club members), but this particular location has the perfect combination for a pre-cruise night.

To begin with, the Port of Tampa is only about 8 miles away. As we live only about 90 miles from Tampa, whenever we cruise out of there, we always drive. So getting to the port from the hotel is pretty straightforward. (The hotel does provide shuttle service to the port/airport, but I've never used those arrangements). This hotel also has a "Park & Cruise" package...which includes transportation to/from the port as well as parking for your vehicle while you cruise. To be honest, I've done the math, and with the increased price of the "Park & Cruise" package over what I would normally pay, it only works out to a few dollars difference if we don't utilize the package, and then pay for parking at the port. Besides, I like the convenience of having my own vehicle and not having to be subject to shuttle schedules.

The second gold star in this trifecta location is the Bahama Breeze restaurant - not only adjacent, but literally a one-minute walk across the parking lot and you're there. We love to stay at this hotel, knowing that we can enjoy a nice, leisurely dinner at BB without having to drive anywhere. It is really a great combination.

Thirdly - the hotel itself -- we have always had pleasant experiences staying there, never any problems. Prompt check-in, friendly and courteous staff, and the rooms we've stayed in are typical Holiday Inn rooms and we have never been disappointed with any of them. The hotel is located on an inlet which is very scenic, as is the adjacent BB restaurant. The whole environment is typical Florida, lots of greenery, birds (egrets, cormorants, etc.) around, there is a dock to walk out on, and plenty of areas that simply invite you to take a nice walk.

As if all that isn't enough - in addition to the standard breakfast that is served at Holiday Inn Express' - if you're like me and you want a little more horsepower in your coffee - there is a Starbucks in the Westin hotel (opens at 5am weekdays, 6am Sat/Sun) about a block away, an easy five-minute walk.

I do believe that all of these factors combine to make this hotel a number one location for pre-cruisers. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when we cruise out of Tampa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water - you'll get great views and some nice sunsets as well.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shutesbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

First of all I loved the location. I asked for a room with a view and we got one. We were on the 2nd floor looking out at the bay and I loved the view. That was great! Charlie at the front desk was helpful. He was who I got when I called a few days prior to arrival to request the view and he was there when I checked in.
However after that it goes downhill. First of all there were a PILE of pizza flyers under the door. Made me think they hadn't used the suite in a while. Second, and this was a big one for me... a previous guest had left a note on the lampshade next to the bed indicating the light had burned out. Indeed the lightbulb did not work. I also found that the nob to the dimmer switch next to the dining table was missing. I thought that was very odd. Then the bathroom light was flaky. I thought that one bulb wasn't working but later it came on. SO I reported the lightbulb being burned out in the morning at breakfast. When I returned at 8:30pm after a day out the bulb was still not replaced. I had to get my daughter to bed so I waited at the front desk while the clerk paged a maintenance person to get me a bulb. The maintenance person also works at the Hampton Inn next door. They are "sister properties". I changed the bulb myself.

On Saturday my husband arrived and discovered that the guest laundry was out of order. He was told he could use the laundry at the sister hotel. He decided to have a "look see" himself and figured out that he could fix the washer. It was just over-soaped by a previous guest. Then the light that was on the dimmer switch made a burning smell and almost caught on fire before going out. Again, my husband looked at it and realized that the wrong kind of bulb was being used for the lighting fixture. This could be a serious issue folks. If they are using the wrong bulbs for the lights with the dimmer switches, then the whole hotel could burn down.

My daughter and I figured out pretty quickly that an early breakfast was a must to get a table. We went right at 6:30am every morning. When we came by later, on our way to our daily activities, the room was very full. Breakfast itself was nothing exciting but since there isn't anything nearby we made do. I did know that there was nothing nearby so I was prepared for that.

We did go to the restaurant next door one night (will review separately) and they gave us directions to the nearby mini-market that was tucked into another property. I was able to get 1/2 gal of milk and some snacks for our stay so that was good.

The suite we had was a good price, and a nice place. We even got in the pool one night for a quick swim. It is just that the electrical problems were so bad, and the whole thing with the washer... I don't know. The night before we checked out I reminded the desk clerk on duty of our difficulties. She said she'd mention to the night person who does the bills about our problems. No adjustment was made. At breakfast I went to the desk again and asked why nothing had been done. She said her manager would be in later. We did get a phone call in our room just before we left saying a deduction would be made (and in fairness I haven't checked my bill yet). Still, it felt like they weren't very good about these things. Like the front desk doesn't care about the maintenance of the place. They are just there to check people in and make reservations. They don't want to deal with any problems.

I am guessing the management will have a reply to this review. I am really trying to be fair here. I liked the location, I had no problems with the internet, the pool, or breakfast. I just worry that it's not a safe place to stay and I don't know if they are going to address that.

Room Tip: I liked the water view. I was in 223, and it was a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear RebeccaMA,

Thank you so much for our review regarding your stay at our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments for Charlie. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so.

However, the comments about the bulb and the switches are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night before our cruise out of Tampa. The cruise package was a good deal & worked out great. The room was clean, I loved the decor. We were upgraded to a suite, which was nice having chair & couch. Bed was a little harder than I prefer. Bathroom was nice & clean. The breakfast was small but had a little of everything. The woman who took care of it was very attentive & sweet. The staff at the front desk were a not as nice, but ok. The woman who checked us in messed up our transport to port (it was included in rate), but that was quickly fixed. Transportation was easy & comfortable; however, they do service several other hotels/condos on Rocky Point, so it wasn't quick. We were glad for it, though, avoiding Tampa traffic to port! I would stay here again & recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed two nights prior to a cruise out of Tampa. Hotel was in a quiet area, right on the water and next to a Bahamma Breeze restaurant which was nice for a take out and to then eat in the hotel eating area. Room was comfortable and staff very good. The breakfast was outstanding, both the food and especially the lady that works the breakfast. She does a great job of preparing the hot items and keeping the selections full and looking appetizing. All in all, a very good experience and value.

Room Tip: We overlooked the parking lot, but was very quiet. Some rooms overlook the bay, not sure if they cos...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The access from airport is fast, the staff is wonderful. The two ladies on duty at the desk helped us by giving us printed directions and maps to sites of interest. This is our second stay here. Ask for a room facing the bay for wonderful sunsets or sitting at the pool. There are restaurants within walking distance as well as shopping a short drive. We will stay here next time in town.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the bay side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family, two adults, two children, stayed here in April. We lived in Tampa awhile back so we knew the location was good. If you are a runner, it has great access to the causeway to get a good run in.
We arrived late, flight was very delayed. We were starving when we arrived. I asked the front desk what our options were and he kinda shrugged me off and said there was a vending machine. I asked again is there was anything more substantial and he said there are pizza flyers in your room if you want. I found him so unhelpful, especially when i found out the next day that there was a connivence store a few yards away that was open at the time we arrived.
The breakfast in the morning was fine. Basic. Nothing outstanding, but it did the job.
The room itself was fine. We had a "deluxe room" which was good to have the extra sitting area with the four of us. The rooms could have been cleaner and the bathrooms need a remodel.
All in all we may consider staying there again only because of the price, but there are a number of hotels right in that area we would consider first if we were to go back to Tampa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear 1974Gigi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I would like to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory service you received during your recent stay with us. I can assure you that the experience you had is not indicative of the superior service we are known to provide.

I have shared your comments with our Front Office team who will be reviewing the issues you had internally to ensure they do not reoccur in future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about your experience. We look forward to seeing you again when you get the chance to visit our fair city.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island? Share your experiences!