“Great room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Sherrills Ford, NC
“Great room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. The free hot breakfast was great! There was quite a variety to choose from and the seating area offered wonderful views of the bay. We took our breakfast outside next to the pool to enjoy the great weather and views. The best part of staying here is the Bahama Breeze is right next door - within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great location-Great view- nice rooms but the showers need to be redone. 5 min from Tampa airport-Overlooking the Bay but the showers are cruddy. can never understand why a top notch place doesn't do just a little more to be excellent

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mount Dora, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I complained about a problem I experienced at this property and was told the Manager would return my call but he never did. Customer service also advised the Manager would make a reimbursement and he never did. Not customer driven to even return several phone calls. Do not believe I will stay at this property again while in the Tampa area even though it is the least expensive hotel in the chain. Maybe they are low priced as they don not provide customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Jay C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Tampa, FL.

Orlando A.
Whitman, Mass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Anyone who looks at my past reviews will know I rarely post a negative review, and even when I do, I try to find some positives.
Ok, so here goes. We have stayed at this hotel in the past (probably at least 4 or 5 years ago) and never had any problems. This place has really gone downhill. Maybe they need a complete rehab?
The staff was just so-so. Not rude, but not really interested in the people staying there, in an obvious way. The morning staff at the breakfast area seemed to be happy to be there, but front desk and house keepers, not so much.
The price was right, and my one positive is I got what I paid for. ($63/night advance purchase). I felt this was a good deal, having stayed here in the past.
My one huge complaint/problem: THE NOISE!! Oh my gosh, the noise! We were in room 213, and I kid you not, I thought there was either a bowling alley above us or there were thunderstorms IN the building. (No thunderstroms anywhere, BTW).
At first the noises perplexed me. It was off and on, all the time, at any time of the day- no real pattern. I finally called the front desk, and they acted like I was crazy, that there were no noises, and no one else had EVER complained about these noises I was descirbing. (I can see from other reviews here that is not true).
They said they would "check it out", ya right. So we went up to the third floor and checked ourselves. It seems the carts that housekeeping and maintenence use, with their wheels on the non carpeted floors mimick the sounds of a bowling alley. STRIKE! So there we had it. Between that and the highway noise, we were toast. (I do not blame the hotel for the highway noise- I knew the hotel was on the highway before I booked- but add that to the bowling alley and forget about it).
I would not stay here again if it were free.
The pool never looked really clean (and therefor we never did use it).
The free breakfast is fine- it is what it is. It's fine for a couple days but then you're willing to pay for a breakfast somewhere after the first couple days. Like I said, the lady running that area was friendly and nice. The parents who don't watch their kids in that area should be asked to leave, though.
The room was small but did the trick. I was hoping for an upgrade from my Priority Club Visa but none were available (not the hotel's fault). Just chance.
The beds were not comfortable, kind of old and saggy.
Oh, here's the positive- you can walk to Bahama Breeze from the hotel and have a GREAT meal. We sat at the bar and ended up spending the night talking to a very cool ex pro NFL player.

Room Tip: Tip for a good room: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located to Tampa Airport. Its rooms are clean, offers a decent breakfast and dependable airport shuttle. Unfortunately, its attributes stop there.

Upon checking into the hotel, the receptionist announced my room number out loud. The door to my room did not fully close without having to pull it so. I noticed that the first time that I entered the room.

On the final day of my stay, I returned to the room just after housekeeping had been and found the door not properly closed. I was able to enter my room WITHOUT using my keycard. Surely, that was just after housekeeping left as the bathroom counter was still wet. Immediately, I went to the front desk and the same receptionist that did my check-in was on duty. His response was simply "I apologize" and once again announced my rooms number out loud. Both times there were other people in the lobby within hearing range.

Based upon this experience, I would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear ziggy86,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Irish V.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here pre cruise. The hotel is nice with excellent views. The staff was rude, They were not willing to offer us a shuttle to the cruise terminal even though we had reservations to stay at there hotel for 2 days once we returned from the cruise.

The walls are paper thin, The noise level was horrible. Screaming, running teenagers, Running up and down the stair wells, slamming doors.

No frige or microwave in room. The hotel has the feel of an institution, Such as a hospital. Very strange vibes in this hotel.

One bright note, Marjorie in housekeeping was very helpful, She went out of her way late in the evening to get me an extra pillow.

I hate to complain and seem snotty, But the folks in this have a clear lack of concern for there guests. Because of all the nonsense we endured, We canceled our post cruise reservations at this hotel and stayed at another Holiday Inn Express in Tampa.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear anjois1,

Irish V.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel on October 18, during a business trip, and was glad to have chosen this hotel. More than being situated on lovely grounds surrounded by water and a spectacular view to the sea, it is only a five minutes drive from the airport. (they offer a shuttle)
I liked the different pillows marked "firm" and "soft" that offered a very enjoyable sleeping experience, spacious rooms, clean and cozy, the friendly and helpful staff (thank you Scott for your help with navigation instructions!)
Waking every morning with the sunshine from the sea horizon, and free breakfast it offered a good deal for the money.
The only downside was the breakfast menu: no alternative for low calories-low fat-low sugar and salt dietary needs, I would be happy to see whole wheat bread, hard boiled eggs, low fat cheese and vegetables- not only bacon burgers and biscuits..

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool to have great views to the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tampa - Rocky Point Island? Share your experiences!