“I would never stay here again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium

Booking.com Travelocity
Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4732 N Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL 33614 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #124 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Chilliwack, British Columbia
“I would never stay here again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We arrived late and had little to no help from the desk clerk. We were travelling with my daughters who would be arriving in the small hours of the morning. She told us where our room was and left us to it. Across two courtyards with little lighting, to the last building on the property. No elevators so we had to lug our suitcases up to the second floor. We were two seniors going on a cruise so they weren't light. Then we found the room we were looking for was on the first floor. Not good directions. So we lugged them back downstairs. We had discussed that our daughters would be arriving late so they were aware of who should be in what room They still got it mixed up. Sent us to the room with two double beds and when my daughters arrived, they had to share a queen. They didn't want to trade back because of the late hour and we were ready for bed so they made do. The room had a cigarette burn on the side of the tub, crack in the ceiling, paint on the door handles and a shapoo bottle keeping the drain on the tub open. None of the ice machines in that part of the inn were working. My husband had to go to the hotel next to us to get ice and a drink. When my daughters booked they never said anything about booking a shuttle in advance so when we told them we needed a shuttle (told them when we checked in) we were told it wasn't possible. All the shuttles were full. The next morning we tried again to see if someone had dropped out and took a taxi. Still no shuttle for us. As I was at the desk another lady was telling them she had booked a shuttle and was now told there was no room for her. The desk clerk told her he would make sure she got on a shuttle somehow. So they had room for her but not for us. She was not on the list as I talked to her later and she was really upset that they did not have her down for a shuttle. All in all, this is not a hotel I would stay at again.

Room Tip: If you have to book here, get a room on the first floor and near the front of the property.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Although we reserved a non-smoking room, they only had a smoking room and it smelled worse than anywhere I have ever been (and I work in a dog kennel). It smelled so bad that my clothes (including those closed in my suitcase) were unwearable for the rest of my trip. I was forced to do laundry part way through the trip because it was so bad. The room was filthy, burn marks on the carpet. I was afraid to take a shower because it was so nasty. The front desk staff was unable to perform the simplest of tasks and was utterly unhelpful. Although they advertise a restaurant and lounge on the premises, this steakhouse has clearly been closed for years. And the other guests were scary. Don't go here. I wouldn't even give it one dot if that were an option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The sink area and bathroom in the first room we were given was infested with small ants. We were moved to another room about ten doors away, but it also had evidence of ants in the bathroom. The rooms showed a lot of wear and had not been thoroughly cleaned, let alone updated, in a long time. I didn't want to sit down on anything or touch anything. We checked out and went to another hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Somerville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On a recent business trip I needed an affordable hotel near the Tampa airport for one night. The problem is that affordable is $120.00. While this property is near the airport, it is very rundown and is downright filthy. The first impression is of a fairly non-descript lobby and breakfast area and you get to see it all because there was never more than one employee working and the wait time was amazingly long for anything. Surprisingly, all three people I encountered were pleasant, despite answering the phone and dealing with lines of four and five parties.

From the outside, the different buildings look like they've seen better days. That feeling is only reinforced when you get inside your room. The carpets were disgusting. I need to do 45 minutes of back exercises on the floor--I skipped them.

I'd say that you're better off paying a bit more to get something clean and with better service, though you can't blame the overworked staff. They clearly did their best.

Room Tip: I don't know that I could recommend any room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Benson, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked this stay over 2 months ago as part of Park and Cruise package. When we arrived, we were informed that the reservation for a non-smoking King was no longer available. When I pointed out that we had booked over 2 months ago and were Choice Privileges members, was told that didn't matter. When I asked for an adjustment the manager acted as if she had been insulted and it was our fault that she didn't have a room. Settle for a non-smoking with two double beds. When I asked about the shuttle to the port she gave me the information. I then told her that upon arriving back to the port we would have two extra people coming along to ride back with us on the return trip home. She said that would be an extra $20 per person and she couldn't waive that fee, even though she couldn't honor our originial reservation either. She told us we could park our car at the vacant restaurant next door. The room had a shower that hadn't been cleaned since it was built from the looks of the shower head. The air conditioner sounded like a freight train every time it came on. I wound up and paid $105 to park at the cruise ship terminal because I didn't trust leaving my car at a vacant restaurant. This hotel wants your business just one time evidently. I did call Choice Hotels and they gave me 5,000 bonus points for having such an awful experience and were very understanding. But stay away from this motel. It looks like one that should charge by the hour, not $133 a night.

Room Tip: Do not book at this motel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New London, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

It looked nice in the web photos but .....
I did not get the non smoking room I booked and there was a question as to whether I would have a room at all, even though I had a reservation number. The Front desk staff was fairly unhelpful bordering on surly. The room was dirty and the shower would fill up with water and take an hour to drain. The pool is not heated ... no biggie in the summer. I expect so much more for the rate of $120.00 per night. It really is a $50.00 a night hotel.
I would NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NYC, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a room at the Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium through Expedia because it was close to the stadium and has a bar/restaurant on the premises so we wouldn't have to drive after a long day of travel.
The first thing that happened is that the clerk swiped our credit card and charged us for a room we had pre-paid for. Then she told us that she couldn't undo it. We were told we would have to wait for her manager to come and fix it - whenever he got there. We refused to sign the paper-work. We were given a smoking room and told that the Comfort Inn does not guarantee the availability of non-smoking rooms.
At this point we should have cut our losses, but it's hard to wave goodbye to double what you expected to pay - for nothing.

We were housed in the 800 building which is a cross between Chernobyl and the South Bronx circa 1972. Whatever you're imagining - it's worse. Burns on the carpet, toilets that don't flush, and the smell - I think a chain smoking hoarder lives in these rooms in between 'guests'.
There was no way we were spending any time in the room, so we looked for the bar/restaurant. It's a steak house right next door - and has been closed for at least a year. You'll notice that even on this site, this location is still listed as having these facilities.
Not true.

The hotel says they have a shuttle that will take you to any restaurant within three miles, but looking at the line of angry people waiting at the front door, we decided that even if the shuttle ever did arrive, the odds of getting picked up at the end of the evening were zero to none. We passed on the privilege.

Our attempt at sleeping at the Comfort Inn was punctuated by two pizza delivery leaflets shoved through the door during the night, someone 'visiting' another guest knocking on our door at about 1am, and then the piece de résistance - "The Noise". I can't explain it other than to describe it as either heavy machinery or metal grinding. This began at 5:30 am and continued - with short breaks of 10 seconds or so every 90 seconds, until about 8am.
In the morning, the manager did, in fact, refund the extra charge and we were packed and out of there. We congratulated ourselves on our escape.

It was only later that night, in a different hotel, that we realized the full extent of the horror of our stay at The Comfort Inn...

We stank.
Everything we wore stank. Everything we owned stank. Our luggage stank. Even our car stank because we sat in it.
Sometimes people make jokes about how bad something smells, or how dirty something is. The Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium is no joke - everything that comes into contact with this hotel needs to be fumigated or burned afterwards.

So, if you are a masochist who has the need to be mistreated by rude hotel employees; an insomniac who wants to experience random noises and events all night rather than sleep, or a chain-smoking hoarder who misses the ambiance home - this is the hotel for you. For everyone else...RUN.

Room Tip: Run Away. Far Away.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium? Share your experiences!