“Don't Go Barefoot Here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4732 N Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL 33614 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #129 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Somerville, New Jersey
“Don't Go Barefoot Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On a recent business trip I needed an affordable hotel near the Tampa airport for one night. The problem is that affordable is $120.00. While this property is near the airport, it is very rundown and is downright filthy. The first impression is of a fairly non-descript lobby and breakfast area and you get to see it all because there was never more than one employee working and the wait time was amazingly long for anything. Surprisingly, all three people I encountered were pleasant, despite answering the phone and dealing with lines of four and five parties.

From the outside, the different buildings look like they've seen better days. That feeling is only reinforced when you get inside your room. The carpets were disgusting. I need to do 45 minutes of back exercises on the floor--I skipped them.

I'd say that you're better off paying a bit more to get something clean and with better service, though you can't blame the overworked staff. They clearly did their best.

Room Tip: I don't know that I could recommend any room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Benson, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked this stay over 2 months ago as part of Park and Cruise package. When we arrived, we were informed that the reservation for a non-smoking King was no longer available. When I pointed out that we had booked over 2 months ago and were Choice Privileges members, was told that didn't matter. When I asked for an adjustment the manager acted as if she had been insulted and it was our fault that she didn't have a room. Settle for a non-smoking with two double beds. When I asked about the shuttle to the port she gave me the information. I then told her that upon arriving back to the port we would have two extra people coming along to ride back with us on the return trip home. She said that would be an extra $20 per person and she couldn't waive that fee, even though she couldn't honor our originial reservation either. She told us we could park our car at the vacant restaurant next door. The room had a shower that hadn't been cleaned since it was built from the looks of the shower head. The air conditioner sounded like a freight train every time it came on. I wound up and paid $105 to park at the cruise ship terminal because I didn't trust leaving my car at a vacant restaurant. This hotel wants your business just one time evidently. I did call Choice Hotels and they gave me 5,000 bonus points for having such an awful experience and were very understanding. But stay away from this motel. It looks like one that should charge by the hour, not $133 a night.

Room Tip: Do not book at this motel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New London, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

It looked nice in the web photos but .....
I did not get the non smoking room I booked and there was a question as to whether I would have a room at all, even though I had a reservation number. The Front desk staff was fairly unhelpful bordering on surly. The room was dirty and the shower would fill up with water and take an hour to drain. The pool is not heated ... no biggie in the summer. I expect so much more for the rate of $120.00 per night. It really is a $50.00 a night hotel.
I would NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NYC, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a room at the Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium through Expedia because it was close to the stadium and has a bar/restaurant on the premises so we wouldn't have to drive after a long day of travel.
The first thing that happened is that the clerk swiped our credit card and charged us for a room we had pre-paid for. Then she told us that she couldn't undo it. We were told we would have to wait for her manager to come and fix it - whenever he got there. We refused to sign the paper-work. We were given a smoking room and told that the Comfort Inn does not guarantee the availability of non-smoking rooms.
At this point we should have cut our losses, but it's hard to wave goodbye to double what you expected to pay - for nothing.

We were housed in the 800 building which is a cross between Chernobyl and the South Bronx circa 1972. Whatever you're imagining - it's worse. Burns on the carpet, toilets that don't flush, and the smell - I think a chain smoking hoarder lives in these rooms in between 'guests'.
There was no way we were spending any time in the room, so we looked for the bar/restaurant. It's a steak house right next door - and has been closed for at least a year. You'll notice that even on this site, this location is still listed as having these facilities.
Not true.

The hotel says they have a shuttle that will take you to any restaurant within three miles, but looking at the line of angry people waiting at the front door, we decided that even if the shuttle ever did arrive, the odds of getting picked up at the end of the evening were zero to none. We passed on the privilege.

Our attempt at sleeping at the Comfort Inn was punctuated by two pizza delivery leaflets shoved through the door during the night, someone 'visiting' another guest knocking on our door at about 1am, and then the piece de résistance - "The Noise". I can't explain it other than to describe it as either heavy machinery or metal grinding. This began at 5:30 am and continued - with short breaks of 10 seconds or so every 90 seconds, until about 8am.
In the morning, the manager did, in fact, refund the extra charge and we were packed and out of there. We congratulated ourselves on our escape.

It was only later that night, in a different hotel, that we realized the full extent of the horror of our stay at The Comfort Inn...

We stank.
Everything we wore stank. Everything we owned stank. Our luggage stank. Even our car stank because we sat in it.
Sometimes people make jokes about how bad something smells, or how dirty something is. The Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium is no joke - everything that comes into contact with this hotel needs to be fumigated or burned afterwards.

So, if you are a masochist who has the need to be mistreated by rude hotel employees; an insomniac who wants to experience random noises and events all night rather than sleep, or a chain-smoking hoarder who misses the ambiance home - this is the hotel for you. For everyone else...RUN.

Room Tip: Run Away. Far Away.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were attending the Kenny Chesney concert on March 16 and had reserved two rooms at this hotel, the location was what we were after as we could walk to the concert. The hotel could not get our secound room ready at check in time ( 3 pm) they called me at 5:30pm to let me know the room was finally ready but of course we had already left for the concert. We finally did get our room at 11:30pm , this was all quite disappointing and would think twice before staying here again.
The rooms really need renovating , which they have started to do at the back portion of the hotel.
I would not stay here again .

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stay far away!!! This is a dump. The shuttle picked us up and after a 15min drive we arrived and the lobby had dinner set up for a group of military young men. We checked in and were told the room was in building 800 and after an extremely long walk to the rear of the property then up a flight of stairs with all our luggage we arrived in one of the worst rooms ever under the name Comfort Inn. The bed looked as though it was already slept in. The bathroom wad dirty, the tub mat was wiped but mold and mildew under it. The place was just bad. The girl that was at the front desk was very helpfull. I could go on but all I can advise is STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP....we left and made sure it was not charged to our card and had to find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Try some place else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Colborne, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium on March 8, 2013 with my wife and two kids. My brothers in law, their families and a family friend and his wife and kids also stayed there that night. Room was dirty and disgusting. The non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke. Toilet did not work properly. Carpet was burnt in many places and room looked like its best years were decades in the past. One brother in law's room was so bad he left immediately. Other brother in law had two guys sitting out front of his unit smoking drugs! Our family friend had guys fighting next door and this caused him to fear for the safety of his wife and kids. Ironically, things got better next door when the working girls arrived. Needless to say our experience was a complete disaster. The only experience we intend to have with another Comfort Inn - or any of its affiliates - is to have t-shirts printed that say "we survived a stay at the Comfort Inn Airport RJ Stadium".

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium? Share your experiences!