“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Airport at Raymond James Stadium

You added Econo Lodge Airport at Raymond James Stadium to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Airport at Raymond James Stadium
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4732 N Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL 33614 (Formerly Comfort Inn Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #128 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
New London, Connecticut
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

It looked nice in the web photos but .....
I did not get the non smoking room I booked and there was a question as to whether I would have a room at all, even though I had a reservation number. The Front desk staff was fairly unhelpful bordering on surly. The room was dirty and the shower would fill up with water and take an hour to drain. The pool is not heated ... no biggie in the summer. I expect so much more for the rate of $120.00 per night. It really is a $50.00 a night hotel.
I would NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
NYC, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a room at the Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium through Expedia because it was close to the stadium and has a bar/restaurant on the premises so we wouldn't have to drive after a long day of travel.
The first thing that happened is that the clerk swiped our credit card and charged us for a room we had pre-paid for. Then she told us that she couldn't undo it. We were told we would have to wait for her manager to come and fix it - whenever he got there. We refused to sign the paper-work. We were given a smoking room and told that the Comfort Inn does not guarantee the availability of non-smoking rooms.
At this point we should have cut our losses, but it's hard to wave goodbye to double what you expected to pay - for nothing.

We were housed in the 800 building which is a cross between Chernobyl and the South Bronx circa 1972. Whatever you're imagining - it's worse. Burns on the carpet, toilets that don't flush, and the smell - I think a chain smoking hoarder lives in these rooms in between 'guests'.
There was no way we were spending any time in the room, so we looked for the bar/restaurant. It's a steak house right next door - and has been closed for at least a year. You'll notice that even on this site, this location is still listed as having these facilities.
Not true.

The hotel says they have a shuttle that will take you to any restaurant within three miles, but looking at the line of angry people waiting at the front door, we decided that even if the shuttle ever did arrive, the odds of getting picked up at the end of the evening were zero to none. We passed on the privilege.

Our attempt at sleeping at the Comfort Inn was punctuated by two pizza delivery leaflets shoved through the door during the night, someone 'visiting' another guest knocking on our door at about 1am, and then the piece de résistance - "The Noise". I can't explain it other than to describe it as either heavy machinery or metal grinding. This began at 5:30 am and continued - with short breaks of 10 seconds or so every 90 seconds, until about 8am.
In the morning, the manager did, in fact, refund the extra charge and we were packed and out of there. We congratulated ourselves on our escape.

It was only later that night, in a different hotel, that we realized the full extent of the horror of our stay at The Comfort Inn...

We stank.
Everything we wore stank. Everything we owned stank. Our luggage stank. Even our car stank because we sat in it.
Sometimes people make jokes about how bad something smells, or how dirty something is. The Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium is no joke - everything that comes into contact with this hotel needs to be fumigated or burned afterwards.

So, if you are a masochist who has the need to be mistreated by rude hotel employees; an insomniac who wants to experience random noises and events all night rather than sleep, or a chain-smoking hoarder who misses the ambiance home - this is the hotel for you. For everyone else...RUN.

Room Tip: Run Away. Far Away.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were attending the Kenny Chesney concert on March 16 and had reserved two rooms at this hotel, the location was what we were after as we could walk to the concert. The hotel could not get our secound room ready at check in time ( 3 pm) they called me at 5:30pm to let me know the room was finally ready but of course we had already left for the concert. We finally did get our room at 11:30pm , this was all quite disappointing and would think twice before staying here again.
The rooms really need renovating , which they have started to do at the back portion of the hotel.
I would not stay here again .

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stay far away!!! This is a dump. The shuttle picked us up and after a 15min drive we arrived and the lobby had dinner set up for a group of military young men. We checked in and were told the room was in building 800 and after an extremely long walk to the rear of the property then up a flight of stairs with all our luggage we arrived in one of the worst rooms ever under the name Comfort Inn. The bed looked as though it was already slept in. The bathroom wad dirty, the tub mat was wiped but mold and mildew under it. The place was just bad. The girl that was at the front desk was very helpfull. I could go on but all I can advise is STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP....we left and made sure it was not charged to our card and had to find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Try some place else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Colborne, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at Comfort Inn Airport at RJ Stadium on March 8, 2013 with my wife and two kids. My brothers in law, their families and a family friend and his wife and kids also stayed there that night. Room was dirty and disgusting. The non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke. Toilet did not work properly. Carpet was burnt in many places and room looked like its best years were decades in the past. One brother in law's room was so bad he left immediately. Other brother in law had two guys sitting out front of his unit smoking drugs! Our family friend had guys fighting next door and this caused him to fear for the safety of his wife and kids. Ironically, things got better next door when the working girls arrived. Needless to say our experience was a complete disaster. The only experience we intend to have with another Comfort Inn - or any of its affiliates - is to have t-shirts printed that say "we survived a stay at the Comfort Inn Airport RJ Stadium".

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cranston, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

On October 8, 2012 I made a reservation for February 16, 2013. We were planning to stay at
Comfort Inn the night before our cruise. On February 15 I called the hotel directly to confirm our reservation. I called again on the morning of the 16th of February to confirm that they had us down for a late arrival, since our flight was not due to arrive until 8pm. Again they confirmed our reservation as a late check in. the flight arrived at TPA at 9pm. After we gathered our luggage, I called the hotel to request a pick up by the shuttle. The clerk asked my name and when I told her, she said your reservation has been cancelled because your credit card was cancelled. The Visa credit card we had used to hold the reservation had been lost and a new card had been issued with a new number. I have never had a credit card charged before my arrival. She told us she had nothing available and was not sympathetic at all to our situation. As we called every other hotel in Tampa, we discovered they were all sold out. My guess is they gave our reservation away to someone else who arrived looking for a room, even though I had confirmed the reservation twice.
We had to stay in Clearwater and pay about $100 in taxi fares from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port. So much for planning ahead. I complained to the corporate office and they sent a letter saying they were sorry, but their hotels are individually owned and operated and that they would
contact the management of this property. Needless to say I will be staying away from Comfort Inns.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Room is less then average, I would say. Doesn't feel clean, stains on the floor, broken (but still functional) micro fridge, busted cover on AC.

Internet is really bad. If you are a business traveler and need WIFI, pass on this place. It is spotty at best. I called the front desk about five times. They said they were looking into it and would call me back. Of course, never did. Finally, when I called back enough times the gal said that it wasn't their problem, and it was probably my computer...NOT. I finally switched back to using my MIFI.

Pass if at all possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge Airport at Raymond James Stadium? Share your experiences!