“Fantastic stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
North Port, Florida
“Fantastic stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We absolutely loved the accomdations at this hotel! The room was comfortable and clean, the lobby was gorgeous (even though there was some construction) and checking in and out was quick and easy. The main pool was heated so it was thoroughly enjoyed. They also have a kids pool with a "pirate ship" in it that the children could play on, unfortunately that part of the pool was not heated so our little ones were unable to enjoy it, but sitll fun to look at! The breakfast was pretty good, the staff was friendly. The only complaint is that the rooms don't keep noise out terribly well, so I was woken several times from people yelling and running around.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Would never return or recommend this hotel. The rooms were old and musty smelling. The bathroom was dirty. The carpet was absolutely disgusting. I slept with my clothes on so I could keep warm because the smell of the blanket was nauseating! You could feel all the springs in the bed. It was just a terrible night. I would have so wished I would have paid more money. But, I bought it on priceline as a 2.5 star hotel and it ended up being less than a 1 star in my book.

We were to leave at 6:30 and breakfast didn't begin until 7 a.m. on a weekday. The staff was very matter-of-fact and did not bother to smile or appear welcoming at all.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I got a great deal on this hotel for New Years Eve, so I expected it to be mediocre. I was terribly mistaken. Check-in was a breeze, and the front desk staff were very helpful in giving directions to some resturants that we wanted to check out. The room was clean and smelled fresh, the bathroom was clean, everything looked great! The beds were very comfortable. In the morning, they serve breakfast. Even that surprised me! Eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, cereal, bagels, toast, juice, etc... was very delicious and hot and fresh. They even had a heated pool! We loved every minute of being at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We traveled with 2 children and a dog. The room was really clean but the bathroom needs maintenance for example the doors needs paint and the windows need to be cleaned. The breakfast was good: eggs, sausage, biscuits, muffins, bagels, and cereals.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
DeLand, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

First of all, they don't make it quite clear but this is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL. All of the rooms are on the outside of the " hotel " facing a very busy street or the pool area in the back. Upon entering, we found the lobby very nice and everyone we met that worked the front desk was pleasant. They then give you a map of the motel, as the set up is so bizarre that you actually do need one to find your room. We passed a little computer center that let us go online and print a document. It wasn't very clean or tidy, but served it's purpose.

The room itself seemed clean, except for the carpet. It wasn't horrible, but had a couple of stains and would just be better off being replaced. I should mention we INSTANTLY noticed an overwhelming smell of commercial grade disinfectant spray. It was so strong that we could still smell it pretty good upon leaving the next day at 11am. Bleh. Our room happened to be on the side facing a very busy, main street. If you're unfortunate enough to be on that side of the hotel, you'll hear cars and trucks alllll night and day. The temperature in the room was fine, but I had to keep the AC unit on high all night just to kill some of the noise. It was a chilly night here in Florida and we could feel the cold air rushing in through the sides and under the door. ( That actually ended up helping, since we had to use the heat all night ) The tv got about 10 channels, 4 of which are sports. It was a decent size, but the picture quality wasn't very good. The bathroom is too small, but tolerable. The pool area actually looked quite nice, but it was too cold for us to try it out. There's no hot tub. =( The breakfast area is in the " hotel " part of the motel and is large and clean. They had a very good selection of food and a friendly staff.

I got this room free through points on my credit card, but I believe the going rate is $79. If I had paid $79, I would have left 15mins after getting to my room and asked for my money back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

II stayed here because I had an exam on USF campus the next morning. When I arrived check in was a breeze and the front desk was helpful, pointing me to a place I could freshen up. I asked for a late check out and the front desk gave me an extra hour right away, with the option of calling in the morning to see if a later check out was available, I only needed an extra hour so didn’t call in the morning.
I was in a king bed room and the room was nice and clean, coming with a refrigerator and a microwave. There is a desk in the room but there was nowhere at the desk to plug anything in. I had to plug my laptop in by the sink and stretch the cord to reach the desk. The bathroom was small, which surprised me for a king bed since most other hotels enlarge the bathroom when there is only a king sized bed, regardless if the room is an ADA room or not (this was not an ADA room).
When I first laid down in bed I sunk in and seriously contemplated calling for a different room because I didn’t think I would sleep well in that bed. But I didn’t just because I had already unpacked. I ended up sleeping well and was pleasantly surprised and thankful since I had the exam in the morning. Thankfully there was a plug in near the bed and I was able to charge my phone next to the bed. I did wake up a few times during the night because you can hear people outside as they walk up and down and go to their cars and go to their rooms.
I tried calling for a wakeup call, but never reached the front desk when I called. I set the alarm (which failed to go off because I set it for pm instead of am, which is why I always call for a wakeup call). I ended up using my cell phone alarm, thank goodness!
The breakfast was great. It was a full breakfast, not just a continental breakfast. I was there early so there weren’t too many people there.
The biggest negative was that my room did not have a safe, and when I went to the front desk to place some personal items in the hotel safe the front desk said that all rooms had a safe, she tried calling maintenance to get a safe put in my room, but they never answered. She offered to hold my items at the front desk, but I wasn’t sure if she would still be there when I came back and didn’t feel comfortable with my items out in the open like that.
Overall this was a pricey room because it was across from USF and near Bush gardens. I paid near $100 for the room and would have expected a little more of the standard amenities ie: wake up call, in room safe or hotel safe, and a place to plug in my computer. I probably won’t stay at this hotel again, but I would recommend it if you want to be close to things, and if you call the front desk or go to the front desk right away with problems, it seemed like they would fix them eventually

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Iselin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

What an awesome time we had staying at the Clarion. The staff was wonderful. The rooms were clean. The breakfast buffet was well run and way more then just toast and coffee. They had fresh fruit, fresh waffles, eggs, bacon, brand name cereal. Just about anything you could imagine. Also, one night we wanted to have a little party at the pool with some friends from the area and they were great about letting us have pizza delivered poolside and our friends kids using the pool.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!