“Winter in Tampa--Gaudy or Nice?” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Springfield, Illinois
“Winter in Tampa--Gaudy or Nice?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I read many positive reviews of this hotel-- but sadly, our experience does not warrant a positive review. Although the rate was lowest in town, we wish we had spent an extra $10 to stay elsewhere. The best I can say is the room was adequate, not nice, not lovely, not cosy, just adequate. The service and amenities were poor.
The first room we were given had two beds even though we had requested a king bed. We were glad we were able to get different room since the first room had an overpowering smell of deodorizing fragrance.
The next room smelled better but we found a used towel on the back of the bathroom door which made us question the amount of attention to detail by the cleaning staff.
Even though the hotel had purportedly gone through extensive renovations, the furnishings are low-end with a small flat screen TV, a small table with two inexpensive chairs, and a coat rack in the sink area serving as the closet. The room lacked a desk, desk chair and lounging chair. We had to request a luggage rack to set our suitcase on.
On the plus side, the bed was firm and comfortable.
Breakfast was underwhelming. Since it was a weekday and only a few people in the breakfast area when I went down at 7:30, I was surprised there was no milk to put on my cereal. The attendant, who was also the omelet cook, said he should have some in 3-4 minutes. Over half an hour later he refilled the pitcher. If they serve breakfast everyday, they should know how much milk they would need and not have to run to the store for more.
When I opened the warming tray at 7:30 I found only crumbs-- maybe the residue of bacon? I came down again with my wife at 8:45 and it was still only crumbs. I don't think it had been replenished during the interim. I heard the omelet man offer someone bacon or sausage from the warming tray he kept behind the counter at his omelet station so maybe that was his way of getting people to come to his set up. Although he made a great omelet, I think he didn't want to leave his omelet duties behind his tip jar to replenish the breakfast bar. He seemed to take pride in his multi-tasking-- watching T.V. and checking his phone-- but didn't seem able to keep the breakfast bar supplied. We needed to ask for coffee as the carafe was empty. We also had to ask for orange juice as that pitcher was also empty. There were two yogurts on ice at 7:30 with my wife taking the last one at 8:45. Maybe the attendant has it planned so he wouldn't have to put anything away when breakfast stops being served at 9:00.
We left our room about 10:30 AM and returned around 4:00 PM to find our room had not been cleaned. I called the front desk to explain that the maid had skipped our room and ask if fresh towels were available. She told me I could come down and get some fresh towels. No apology and no offer to have someone bring up fresh towels.
And to top it all off, the WiFi internet was extremely slow.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Recently stayed at this hotel and the family had a blast. The rooms were nicely sized and the bed was soft. (slept great) Road side a little noisy but we did fine. The buffet breakfast was excellent. The kids loved it. Plenty of choices and food was cooked well. The kids loved the heated pool and the kiddie pool. They want to come back again. Highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: Stay in a room facing the pool area not the front side of hotel. Should be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The grounds and pool area are beautiful and the splash pond is too cute! I have stayed here before but the rooms are in need of improvement. The sitting chair in the room was filthy and the arm of the chair was completely broken. The pull out couch which replaced the previous bunk beds in the room was horrible for any one to attempt sleeping.
The shower bar fell of the wall when we hung a towel on it. The carpet was stained and needed to be replaced. The room was supposed to be non smoking but reeked of old cigarets.
The breakfast was pretty good in the hot food area and my family enjoyed it. I was disappointed to have to leave a note to house keeping for leaving me only decaf coffee even when I left a note for regular only.
It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room and the rooms are large. I am not sure if I will stay here anymore with the way the rooms condition have become.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I give it the maximum rating because this Clarion defied all of my expectations. When travelling on the cheap, you expect to have complaints but suck it up because you're staying for a pittance. When looking for hotels I tend to see a lot of comparisons to other hotels that are several times the price per night of the one I'm looking at. The grounds at this hotel were very well kept. The pool area was beautiful and the decadent front lobby had me double checking my e-mail to make sure I was at the right hotel. The room was clean, the TV a generous sized flat screen, and all the linens were fresh and clean. The free breakfast was average in taste but the portions were generous. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

My stay at the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center was not completely by choice! As if I wanted to pay all of my own expenses on an (IT) Training business trip; I had that choice available. However, my week of training too, was located at their conference center. Yes, I enjoyed the swimming pools; however my room was not very nice, and the location inconvenient, for other than training/work & sleep. When I visited the "Downtown Tampa"; specifically looking for foreign banknotes for my collection, I too was disappointed. The weather was uncomfortable, being both hot, and very humid. And I felt unsafe most of the time. I noted that there were steel bars on both the windows, and doors on most every business along the street. And they all seemed to close early. I can still remember about 4:30PM one afternoon, I knocked on the door of a business, hoping to find currency for my collection, and the shop owner refused to unlock, or open his door, rather shouted from a distance, "I'm Closed"! I was glad that I only had to stay here five days, and do not intent to return! I was here for a week in July of 2012.

Room Tip: Location is rather remote, out on a highway; with not many places to buy food, and drink. I would su...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

Hotel was good for average stay. It is not the Four Seasons so don't expect too much. Service was good and it was located close to shops and food places and easy access to the highway.

Only problem I had was the food. The scrambled eggs and potatoes were quite cold and greasy. So we made waffles instead. They also had fruits and yogurt so we found something to eat. Breakfast is free so can't complain too much. But when you compare to the free breakfasts at Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn etc they are far better breakfasts.

Overall it was an average hotel with good service.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

The lobby and grounds are actually very pretty, two lovely pools are impressive.
The bed was comfortable and there was a nice big screen TV.
Unfortunately the room we had smelled strongly of urine and the water for a shower was barely luke warm.
The free breakfast buffet was not quite as appetizing as the free food at a soup kitchen...

We were there only for the night and sadly the things that were important to us greatly disappointed.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!