“If they only had a zero on the rating chart” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #99 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Beverly Hills, Florida
“If they only had a zero on the rating chart”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Bed bugs! Mold! Dirty! We stayed at this hotel as a last minute decision. As we were checking in I couldn't help but notice a unhappy patron at the front desk. The desk was understaffed with one attendant. This should have been a sign but I always give the benefit of doubt. After standing in line for about 30 mins it was my turn. Check in for me was swift and pleasant. We were able to her the two rooms needed for our family. As we found our rooms we noticed it was extremely dark walking the stair case. Thank God there was 9 of us! I would not have walked that area alone!! Our room was on the second floor facing the children's outside water area (which looked nice in the dark). We arrive at the first room and it was "ok". I always check to make sure the safety and cleanliness of the room and that one was just ok. We arrived to our second room which my husband and I shared with our two sons, there was a horrible smell lurking in the room. After looking around the room we food left in the mini fridge that was there for quite a while. The floor was not cleaned for quite some time. The water that came from the spout looked like urine. There were pubic hair on the toilet and shower. Just when I thought that was enough I found mold- ALOT of it. That was enough! I called down to the front desk to discuss my concerns. The response I got was "well what do you want me to do" in a rude manner. I asked to be switched to two different rooms and was told there were no more.... We began to call around to see if we could book other rooms from the area hotels with little to no results. I asked if a cleaning staff me never could come clean the room and was told no that there was no staff. Frustrated and upset I decided with my husband to stick it out for the night. By this time it was 3am and only a couple hours of sleep was all I needed. I decide to take a shower only to find that the towels provided were dirty and clearly used! I was completely aggravated. Approximately at 5am my son woke up screaming and had welts all over his body. I then woke up my family to check out. I took pictures of everything and showed it to the staff member at the front desk. The explanation I received was that the rooms were all being remodeled and we must have been in one that hasn't been touched yet. REALLY!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
Randy K, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to respond to forums such as this one. I am truely sorry for all the issues you had while staying at our property. Our hotel has a pest control company service our hotel on a regular basis and this is something that we have not had a problem with at our hotel. We are going through a multi million dollar renovation of this property and getting all new room packages that includes new carpets. We are excelling at customer service with alot of new friendly faces here. I am truely sorry for your issues you had in the past at our location but I can assure you that we have made alot of changes since your last stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Beware for online reservations....I made a reservation for May 13th to May 15th 2014 using the online system, but someone uses my credit card and charge me with almost $800 dollars...that's the only transaction that I recently made...take cautions.....use another hotel....I'm from Honduras Central America.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Randy K, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Our hotel prides itself in great customer service. I can say this has never happened at our property before and would like the oppertunity to talk with you about this further so that we may investigate this matter. Please contact us as soon as possible.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our Dragon Boat competition. Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly staff and yummy cookies :) Our room was clean. The hotel is under renovations to become better from the original hotel. Contractors was painting the pool fence area. So the hotel are making improvements. Speaking of the pool area we enjoyed playing in both the adults and kiddies area. Yes, I did the slide and played in the water fountain in the kiddie area. Friday's restaurant was right next door (food was good). The Hotel was accommodating to open their breakfast early for our Dragon Boat team. That helped out a lot. Thank You. The breakfast was very filling and yummy. Keep up the improvements and we will be back (but will get a room away from the pool) :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nancy V, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words. Also thank you so much for choosing us for your hotel needs and welcome you back anytime.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

While the hotel has a decent layout, the condition is not acceptable. The halls and common areas are filthy. The carpet in our room was musty and had white stains all over it. The bathroom was basic but fairly clean. The breakfast in the morning is served military style and they serve it for you. The eggs are of the powdered variety and potatoes are mushy. The hotel had way too much police activity for me to feel safe with my daughter at the hotel. The pool was also constantly out of towels which was extremely irritating. All in all this hotel needs a lot of work before they can proudly hold the Clarion name. Obviously Choice Hotels standards are not strict.

Stayed May 2014
Great news our hotel is under renovations and getting all new room packages. Also our lounge and restaurant will be opening soon. We would like to welcome you back anytime so you can see all the inprovments.
Oak Hill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Drove from WV and stayed here. Pool area was beautiful and sunny. The hotel staff was super. Everything that i needed they took care of. I needed a handicapped accessible room and they switched me to one with no problems. The rooms were in need of some renovations but who stays in a room with that wonderful weather. The only complaint i have was breakfast. It was the same thing every morning, one day they ran out of waffles. The woman that was serving was not very nice to speak to. Bridget was great to deal with at the front desk. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a pool side room it is closer to the breakfast area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words. We welcome you back anytime your traveling needs brings you back to our area.
Nova Scotia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at the hotel from April 3 to the 6 prior to our cruise. We got our room with a Friends & Family rate which was very affordable and included breakfast. Had I paid rack rate I would of have been very disappointed. It is an older property and the rooms show that. Staff were all very nice, lobby was nice and the pool areas were great.
Rooms are outdated and in need of some major renovations. Apparently the hotel has updated the rooms but they failed to do what I consider to be the most important thing and that is replace the carpet. The carpet was disgusting, with more stains then anything. The lighting in the shower/toilet area is very dim and should be replaced. The vanity area is overly crowded with a large wardrobe and makes half of the vanity useless. We did have a few problems with our stay, upon our arrival our safe would not work so someone came by with new batteries for it, didn't fix it. He then left and said he was going to get a new door for the safe and would be back, 45 minutes passed and he didn't return and we didn't want to wait around any longer so we went out for the day, never did get fixed. A couple of times throughout our stay the cable went out as well as the power for about 3 hours on Saturday morning. Wifi connection is poor and only works if you are in the lobby or just outside. The curtains on the window were moldy. Getting anywhere without a rental car is expensive it was about $40 from the airport and $30 to the port via taxi.
Breakfast was fine for my husband, I'm a little more picky so I just stuck with yogurt and occasionally a pastry. There is no shuttle for Busch Gardens and I don't recommend walking, we walked there but it makes for a really long day at the park. We took a cab back and it cost about $10. There is a public bus stop just by the CVS (the 18, I think) and we took it to the downtown area. It was a long drive about 45 minutes and it went through some rough areas.
On the positive side there were plenty of places to grab a quick bite to eat within easy walking distance there is also a CVS that sells wine & beer in case you need to stock up before getting to the port. Tampa laws do not permit selling of wine or beer prior to 11 am on Sundays.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms will have less traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out and completing a online review. We have some great news we are undergoing renovations with complete new room packages and yes this includes carpet. Are shuttle is up and running and taking people where they want to go in a 5 mile radius. Also we will have our onsite lounge and restaurant opening soon. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your traveling needs bring you back to the area.
munising
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have tried to contact the hotel multiple times and gotten no response to my issues. I want to make sure noone else deals with this- see pictures- MOLD MOLD MOLD MOLD. I am going to call the health department next as well.

Room Tip: Don't stay here seriously it's disgusting
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Great news we are going through renovations at our property and getting complete new room packages We are saddened that you did not enjoy your stay with us and are very sorry. I was shocked by your statement and managment investigated this and did not find any harmful mold.

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!