“Stayed 2 night” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Live Oak, Florida, United States
“Stayed 2 night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

we have enjoyed staying at this hotel,have stayed here severial times and always greated with a smile and always been very helpful with anything we have ever needed. There is no other motel in Tampa that we would ever stay in but yours.

Room Tip: This is hard to choose because every room that we have stayed in has been very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've stayed at Clarion Hotels many times in the past and been pleased. They're typically clean, efficient and usually offer a nice breakfast. So when I booked this hotel for a short vacation, I was surprised at the price. It seemed really low, but the pictures online showed a beautiful pool.

That was one of the only high points.

When we walked into the lobby to check in, it was dated but pleasant enough. There was one person at the front desk and she was a delight. (I believe her name was Debra?) She handled check-ins, the phone and maintenance all without missing a beat. Then we went to our rooms. (I had a group and we had two rooms.)

The property is setup like a motel and as we went up the stairs, there was a young man at the top of the stairs, hanging out with a phone and smoking. As we got onto the balcony, there were two other young men at the top of the stairs at each end of that section of the hotel. They were all talking on their phones, smoking and hanging out. I work in law enforcement and knew we were being "cased." As I walked by each of them, with my cell phone out, pretending to look for a signal, I attempted to take their pictures. Each one carefully evaded my camera. So I went back to my room and got out my police jacket and re-emerged. When the first one saw the words across the back, he whistled and all three bolted.

So they were hanging out, looking for vulnerable tourists. Great.

The first room had a huge cigarette burn in the middle of the bedspread, mold creeping out of the A/C unit, a carpet so matted and dirty I refused to take off my shoes. The second room had stained pillow cases and everything smelled bad. It was so disgusting and so different from what we were led to believe from the pics, we went back to the front desk, turned out keys back in and checked into another hotel. (One much nicer.)

What I want people to understand from this review is that this hotel is a DUMP. The rooms are in terrible condition and there were several young men hanging out looking to rob guests. The entire property needs to be completely gutted or have the Clarion name removed. This experience was so bad, I will no longer stay at a Clarion hotel again. It's too bad.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, insist on a room near the lobby so you're less likely to be robbed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place had some good qualities, but not enough to make me return.
On the positive, the staff were nice and helpful, the pool area was beautiful, and the breakfast was included with the room and it was good.
On the negative side, the carpets were stained to the point, that I wouldn't let the children take their shoes off and walk barefoot in the room. The stairwells were dark and looked like that hadn't been cleaned in years, the place had a musty odor, there was no elevator, the bedsheets didn't smell fresh, the refrigerator didn't keep the food cold and the air condition was all or nothing. The final straw, was when we plugged up one of the kids electronics, the plug shorted and sparks flew.
We checked out after one night and moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place should be burnt down and replaced. Looks like any available money was spent on making the lobby and pool area enticing, and not a penny on rooms (I know because I had seen three rooms before deciding they weren't going to get any better, so I sucked up and took the last one offered). This is possibly the second worse hotel I have ever stayed in (the worst was Seabreeze Motel in Atlantic City).
I chose this hotel because of location, location, location....and that the only thing it has going for it...it is convenient to Florida Hospital Tampa on Fletcher Ave.
The hotel rooms remind me of 1950's or 1960's furnishings (although the TV was color -- not flat screen though! and had cable hookup! And there is internet hookup -- unsecure, though, -- but good enough for me to enter this review from the room).
The rooms smell old, the blankets and bedding appear to be the same ones used whenever this hotel first opened in the 1950's or whenever....and the bedding in the first room we looked at was full of holes and stains....as was the furniture. This room, and the rooms that were offered in consolation, all have the same dingy blankets, covers, sheets....and the furniture is stained...the lamps broken and some won't even light.

My next letter after this review will be to Choice hotels to let them know how terrible their hotel is.

Believe me, and the other negative reviews you will find on this site....this place is one location, location, location that you want to stay away from.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
East Central Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked this property without checking Trip Advisor first (I know, MAJOR no-no) on the basis that it was a Clarion, which is the upper scale of the Choice portfolio. I stayed one night at the property due to it's good location close to where I needed to be in Tampa. I saw this was going to be an older property when I drove up and looked at the layout. Check in was smooth and no problem with an advance reservation. When I got to my room, I found a state-of-the-art hotel property, circa 1975. Granted it's nice and convienent to pull right up to the door of your room (first floor room, east wing). But when I opened the door, I was not expecting to be thrown back in time with the age of the furnishings in the room - I.E. the room was well worn. Carpet changing color and with visible heavy wear, visible cracks in the ceiling, on the bathroom door, in the floor tiles, in the roof of the bathroom. Tile corners on the vertical were chipped and missing in some cases. The bed has burn holes in the blanket from previous smoking encounters. The bedside lamps were funky, with cord-attached switches. The electrical outlet in the bathroom looked disgusting, dirty on the top half beyond belief. Room had a refrigerator and a microwave, I didn't use or try either of these on my visit. Good air conditioning, kept the room at acceptable temperature during the visit. TV worked fine, older CRT-style TV.

With the realization this was an older property booked on a good rate, I was prepared to accept all the above shortcomings. Bed wasn't in as bad a condition as I anticipated, however the pillows were very fully stuffed and high, consequently my neck was killing me in the morning. Good water pressure, nice hot water in the tub shower, with water-saving flow from the older shower head that made you appreciate every drop. Standard Clarion bath amenities.

What I was NOT prepared to accept, however, were the small roaches that I found in the morning in the bathroom crawling on the walls and by the towel rack after I had taken my shower. Oh yummie.... I can imagine they'd been busy during the night, probably running over the hand and bath towels. Towel feel was that of basic sandpaper, hard, used, worn towels.

Complementary breakfast comes with the room, it's served cafeteria style in the restaurant. You receive two vouchers on check-in that must be presented to the cook. Sausage was luke warm as were the potatos, I had some and ended up with a Banana Nut muffin. Sorta hard to do bad on those. Limited variety on drinks/juices. The iced tea dispenser was out, but the apple juice was fine. Garbage cans were all full, looked like they had been hit hard prior to my arrival or possibly no one was emptying them, benefit of the doubt applies here. The indigestion settled down in about 2 hours after I left. I did not try the pool or water amenities while I was on property.

Let's cut to the chase. If you're prepared to accept all of the above and you're in Tampa to see Busch Gardens on a budget, this property is somewhat appealing for the low rack rate and good location. Normally I'd rate it low acceptable, but the crawling roaches in the room killed this visit's rating to zip. In reality the owners deserve to have their Clarion franchise pulled unless the property can do a top-to-bottom makeover of the rooms. Yes, this could be made into a nice property again with new tile, wall coverings, new blankets, refreshing the room furnishings, and fixing the obvious problems. Is it cost efficient? Probably not. I exercised the Choice 100% satisfaction guarantee (which I've only done one other time in 30+ years of travelling) and my room was free after I showed the front desk clerk the pictures of the roaches and the other problems with the room. Again, minus roaches I would have paid & been somewhat happy for a bit of a bargain.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere if you expect Clarion-grade rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Englewood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Lots of others have commented on the filth. I set the foot towel on the bathroom floor and when I hung it up it was black with dirt.
The beds need to be replaced.
you couldn't catch me eating free breakfast from that kitchen. The grill is a fire hazard with caked on nasty and the floor is black and the cabinets needed to be wiped down last year.
If management cared it could be a nice place.

• Stayed July 2013
McLean, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. I loved the scenery and the pool. The waterfall and all the trees and plants made it very cool to look at. It was a nice hotel to stay at and I would stay again. They had everything we needed and it is close to a bunch of food places and it is only a couple minutes away from Busch Gardens.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!