“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Englewood, Florida, United States
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night and that would be enough for me. The rooms were old and we actually felt like it was a Motel 6 room. The bed was hard as a rock and kept digging into my side all night. The microwave didn't work so we could not heat up food we had purchased, resulting in not being able to eat. My husband went to lobby to see if he could use another microwave and there was none, not even for use in the breakfast area! Speaking of breakfast, upon check-in, the desk gives you a breakfast voucher to present to the cook at the breakfast counter. So once you give it away, you can't go back and get another helping or anything extra. And they only have milk and warm OJ...no ice or anything else to drink, but they do have a soda machine there if you want to buy a cold drink! The only nice thing about this hotel was the front desk and the atrium by the pool..nothing special at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Newnan, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

there are no words to describe this experience! After driving for 7 hours with 2 kids and a car full of bags,we checked in a room that looked and smelled like a public restroom. I mean filthy as in " nobody ever cleans" - "nobody ever changes the covers(yes stains on both beds and used sheets) " - the windows are filthy, nasty, with marks and spills on them and the smell was ungodly!
No elevator , so we had to walk an exterior staircase with all our luggage in Tampa- in June- at 95F!!When we asked for another room - we were told that we have to drag our things to the front desk and from there carry them to their other "cleaner" room .The woman at the front desk was rude and had an "I could care less " attitude , yelled at me - hang up on me ... I guess I am lucky she did not slap me for making such a big deal over this "insignificant matter".
for the same amount of money we got a nice place right next to Busch Gardens with an elevator and clean covers . and somebody smiling at the door !

Room Tip: don't ruin your vacation
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seminole, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Found this hotel by accident after calling 3 others (all booked). It's not a fancy hotel,but it is very cheap.There was 5 of us. The room had two queen size beds and a couch a med size refrigerator,microwave,coffee machine,ironing board w/iron,alarm clock,hair dryer and a safe.There were two pools one for the kids that had a small pirate ship in the middle with water slides(max. depth 1.5 feet)and a heated pool for the adults.Breakfast was included for all of us(eggs,bacon,sausage,oatmeal,grits,toast,muffins and selection of cereal.Milk coffee and sodas. and all for $60.00 not each total.And it's 1.5 miles to Bush Gardens,they have a free shuttle to and from but it only ran at 10:00am and pick-up at 5:00pm so we took a cab it was only $12.00 since it's so close.Had no problems during the stay with my room or the staff as I stated it's not a fancy place but I've stayed at hotels costing $350 and up a night but for $60 bucks I can put up with decor from the 80's.

Room Tip: Mine was fine, clean and ice cold air.I always check it out real good(I even carry a black light)bef...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moore Haven, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a great stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again. The location was excellent. We were visiting Busch Gardens and it was very close and easy to locate. The rooms were very clean and we were offered an early check in. At any other hotel when we've asked to check in early they always have a fee, but not here they offered it we did not have to request or pay extra.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel experience ever they went as far as to Issue a room key to someone else the morning after we checked in Imagine being woke up in a hotel by a strange person walking in your front door Then after being told they were going to reimburse my credit card after 2 months I still have not had a credit to it yet Supposedly I'll be talking with the manager tomorrow morning There's no way I would ever stay in this hotel for any reason ever again

• Stayed March 2013
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

i am not sure where many of these negative reviews are coming from. I have been repeatedly coming to this hotel for the past two years when I go to Busch Gardens. When I opened the door to my room this past weekend, I was immediately struck by the fact that there was NO mildew or musky smell: I detected a lot of that at the Swan & Dolphin at Disney, but not here.

There were no beggars or homeless around for any of my visits. My son and I have always been treated with the utmost respect by the staff here--every time we have come!

The location has a lot of upscale restaurants and shopping in the vicinity--hardly the rundown type of area that some of the other reviewers would have you believe.

There WAS a lot of activity at the kids' pool, though. They were right about that. If you are someone who can't stand to see kids having a lot of fun--while on vacation, mind you-then perhaps you are at the wrong hotel. You could get a room nearer the adult pool, however--or on the other side. As a frequent attendee of Busch Gardens, I can tell you that a full day in the hot sun will wear you out. That little bit of energy the kids may still have can be vented at the pirate ship in the kids pool, while mom and dad sit back, watch and relax!

They do give out vouchers for breakfast. This does allow the quality of the food to be maintained for guests only. I don't have a problem with it at all. Only those who shouldn't be there would complain about sausage, eggs, grits, hash browns, juices, iced coffee, cereal, oatmeal, etc. (This alone will save you a lot of money if you were going to pay to feed the family breakfast at McDonald's, etc., before Busch Gardens.)

I have forgotten a toiletry item or two during my stays. There has always been someone at the front desk to EAGERLY provide me with same.

The rooms have cable tv, microwaves, a refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryers, iron (and ironing board) personal safes, and a whole lot of air conditioning if you want it. (For the record, my $200/night room at Disney did NOT have half of this. You even had to pay for WIFI--free here!) The ice machines are ideally located and usually ready to fill your ice bucket every time (unless someone has decided to fill their camping cooler). Cold vended drinks are reasonably priced.

I wasn't at this place two years ago, so I don't know what it was like then. Many of the posted reviews go back over a year. I can tell you that THIS staff is courteous, available, and attentive. I have never failed to have them try their best (and succeed) to take care of my needs during my stay.

Even my son (age 19) stays here when he comes down by himself.

The hotel has quick and easy access to Busch Gardens, USF and the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI). There are a lot of places to go to eat--many are right across the street.

Still the best overall value/location/atmosphere in Tampa!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is nice, but be aware of the fact that there will be a lot of activity here--ri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Yes, it was moldy, we stayed there for 3 nights for a convention! I came home sick and sniffly, so much dust and mold. The pool and kids water park were wonderful, but is it really worth it to make your family sick? The toilet kept on backing up, nasty! Everyone else at the convention had the same opinion too! What a shame, I bet it was wonderful when it was new.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!