“jennifert” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Moore Haven, Florida
“jennifert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a great stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again. The location was excellent. We were visiting Busch Gardens and it was very close and easy to locate. The rooms were very clean and we were offered an early check in. At any other hotel when we've asked to check in early they always have a fee, but not here they offered it we did not have to request or pay extra.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel experience ever they went as far as to Issue a room key to someone else the morning after we checked in Imagine being woke up in a hotel by a strange person walking in your front door Then after being told they were going to reimburse my credit card after 2 months I still have not had a credit to it yet Supposedly I'll be talking with the manager tomorrow morning There's no way I would ever stay in this hotel for any reason ever again

• Stayed March 2013
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

i am not sure where many of these negative reviews are coming from. I have been repeatedly coming to this hotel for the past two years when I go to Busch Gardens. When I opened the door to my room this past weekend, I was immediately struck by the fact that there was NO mildew or musky smell: I detected a lot of that at the Swan & Dolphin at Disney, but not here.

There were no beggars or homeless around for any of my visits. My son and I have always been treated with the utmost respect by the staff here--every time we have come!

The location has a lot of upscale restaurants and shopping in the vicinity--hardly the rundown type of area that some of the other reviewers would have you believe.

There WAS a lot of activity at the kids' pool, though. They were right about that. If you are someone who can't stand to see kids having a lot of fun--while on vacation, mind you-then perhaps you are at the wrong hotel. You could get a room nearer the adult pool, however--or on the other side. As a frequent attendee of Busch Gardens, I can tell you that a full day in the hot sun will wear you out. That little bit of energy the kids may still have can be vented at the pirate ship in the kids pool, while mom and dad sit back, watch and relax!

They do give out vouchers for breakfast. This does allow the quality of the food to be maintained for guests only. I don't have a problem with it at all. Only those who shouldn't be there would complain about sausage, eggs, grits, hash browns, juices, iced coffee, cereal, oatmeal, etc. (This alone will save you a lot of money if you were going to pay to feed the family breakfast at McDonald's, etc., before Busch Gardens.)

I have forgotten a toiletry item or two during my stays. There has always been someone at the front desk to EAGERLY provide me with same.

The rooms have cable tv, microwaves, a refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryers, iron (and ironing board) personal safes, and a whole lot of air conditioning if you want it. (For the record, my $200/night room at Disney did NOT have half of this. You even had to pay for WIFI--free here!) The ice machines are ideally located and usually ready to fill your ice bucket every time (unless someone has decided to fill their camping cooler). Cold vended drinks are reasonably priced.

I wasn't at this place two years ago, so I don't know what it was like then. Many of the posted reviews go back over a year. I can tell you that THIS staff is courteous, available, and attentive. I have never failed to have them try their best (and succeed) to take care of my needs during my stay.

Even my son (age 19) stays here when he comes down by himself.

The hotel has quick and easy access to Busch Gardens, USF and the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI). There are a lot of places to go to eat--many are right across the street.

Still the best overall value/location/atmosphere in Tampa!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is nice, but be aware of the fact that there will be a lot of activity here--ri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Yes, it was moldy, we stayed there for 3 nights for a convention! I came home sick and sniffly, so much dust and mold. The pool and kids water park were wonderful, but is it really worth it to make your family sick? The toilet kept on backing up, nasty! Everyone else at the convention had the same opinion too! What a shame, I bet it was wonderful when it was new.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Burlington VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were in Tampa with friends on a budget. Reading some of the reviews here, we took the time to check the rooms before committing. We stayed and were not sorry. You get a lot for your buck here. This hotel obviously needs some updates; the furniture is old and stained, as are the rugs and some of the furnishings. The only real issue we found was some mold in one bathroom. Yet, when you look beyond the cosmetic, this is a really nice hotel that may just need a new set of clothes. The staff was courteous to us, despite our initial concerns. The pool was nice and inviting. Fridays was next door and we had a good evening meal there. The rooms and linens were clean. The beds were comfortable, the a/c worked well, the fridge and tv worked. The breakfast was cooked and served to you, fresh and delicious. My friend said it was the best breakfast he'd ever had in a hotel. For $60 each, we had a pleasant stay, and would recommend it to others. If not for the mold one of us had, this would be a 5 star, because of great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Your nose knows!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Panama City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here one night with a school group. The hotel is actually a motel, with doors that open to the outside. The rooms are your basic "Motel 6" layout, and quality.

First, the good:
Breakfast was excellent, with enough room for a major group (which we had), and the food was on time, hot, and tasty. I give them two thumbs up for breakfast. In fact, breakfast was the only reason this hotel did not rate a "poor" in my rating.

The pool area was very nice. Unfortunately, we couldn't use it, as we were with a school group.

We were in room 2023, which is on the corner, right around from the ice machine and soda machines on the second floor. We could not hear any noise from them, however. In fact, the room was remarkably quiet.

Now the bad:
The bedding is very thin, but surprisingly comfortable. I did not care for their pillows, but I should know by now to take my own.

The room was decently clean, but we got the feeling we needed to check for bugs and 'stains'. In fact, the teenagers I was with brought out a blacklight to look the room over. They found nothing, thankfully. Unfortunately, one of the other chaperones on the trip did have bugs on their bed, and took pictures.

Our room was "musty" when we arrived, and I immediately turned on the A/C to high. After dinner, when we returned, it was barely noticeable.

Two of the outlets were broken in our room (the coverings), and the cable tv outlet covering was broken.

The coffee pot was not working right! This is a major problem!!! It was one of those little 3-cup drip makers, and once I'd filled it with water and coffee, and set it to run, it just filled up the filter basket with water, then then the filter basket swung open, and the whole thing dumped over, spilling hot coffee all over the vanity area. It was a mess, and to make it worse, I didn't get any coffee!

I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the pool area, rather than the parking lot. It will be a little safer, and the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Miami, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this Clarion hotel, the rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Some updating of equipment could improve rating (tv, coffee maker, etc) The Pool was awesome, clean and perfect for the kids. coveniently located minutes from Bush gardens park, it was a great stay overall.

Special Thanks to the crew, great customer service, front desk (Jennifer) and everyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!