“nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Florahome
“nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited there the weekend of the 15th to go to the hard rock for some gambling. Reservations were easy to get. the room was clean and the staff very friendly. I killed two small roaches on the nightstand and my wife killed one. Other than that we liked the place.

Room Tip: rooms were adequate. Killed three small roaches in the room while were there. The breakfast was ok...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Eustis, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Front Desk Staff very nice
have stayed there plenty of times within the last 2 years
Great location for theme parks and other activity, good breakfast buffet but need to add cheese and waffles
Cleanness of the room ok bed comfort not the best and not the worst. Value price is ok
will saty again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center on Fowler Avenue in Tampa is a study in contrasts. There are some great things about it and some which aren't. Overall though, it is a solid value for those traveling on a budget.

I stayed for 3 nights at the Clarion last week. It is located near a hospital where my dad had been admitted unexpectedly, had an exceptionally reasonable rate ($59-$69 per night during my stay) and most importantly had rooms available on short notice in Florida's winter tourist season.

Like many of the other reviewers, I found the resort-style lobby of the hotel to be quite grand, particularly for an inexpensive hotel. I was also pleased by the friendly desk clerk (Ms. Lopez) who welcomed me graciously to the Clarion. Great first impression.

I grew up in Tampa and remember "way back when" in the days that the Clarion was the Holiday Inn University (so named due to its location near the University of South Florida). It has a typical layout of a Holiday Inn of the 1970s, with exterior corridors. I got a room facing the courtyard--where the swimming pools are located. The pools and courtyard areas are incredible for any hotel and I enjoyed having a room in this part of the hotel.

The room itself was well-worn. The furniture was nicked and dinged and the bedspread was frayed. It had an older-style tube TV and the paint was peeling a bit in certain areas of the room. As to housekeeping, while my room was reasonably clean, quite frankly housekeeping could have done a better job. I noticed dust behind the dresser, for instance.

However, the Clarion got it right where it mattered most. It was comfortable and the linens and towels were quite clean. The bathroom was just fine--no problems with the plumbing whatsoever. The room did smell a bit like chlorine because of its location next to the pool--which is to be expected. My room contained a refrigerator and microwave, and the TV had a decent selection of channels.

Unlike many two star hotels, this place does have a couple of great extras. There is a TGI Friday's on site in one of the hotel buildings. I enjoyed having dinner and a couple of drinks there on one night of my stay.

The Clarion also offers a complimentary full breakfast "cafeteria style" in a breakfast room off of the lobby, which was another plus. The kitchen staff was very nice and the food (eggs, sausage, hash browns, fruit, bacon, coffee, and juice) beats the heck out of the lame "continental" breakfasts of plain bagels, cereal, and waffle maker that many similarly-priced places offer.

The location is convenient, even though Fowler Avenue is an older, humdrum commercial strip of buildings which saw its heyday when Jimmy Carter was President. Having said that, the hotel is across the street from the aging University Mall, which also dates from the 1970s but does still have a Macy's and a Sears (where I shopped) among other offerings. There's a decent supermarket across the street from the hotel and the location is near the University and Busch Gardens. The Clarion is also not terribly far from the airport, I-275 and I-75, and the Amtrak station. In short, it made for a good "base camp" for me.

I challenge those who have panned this place on TripAdvisor to find any hotel in the Tampa area that provides all of this for a similar rate. The area Hampton Inn, La Quinta, and others are charging $80+ more per night at this time of year.

In fact, I plan to return at the end of this week, enjoy the pool and the other amenities offered here, and deal with the somewhat worn-but-comfortable room. I think there is a lot of value to be found at this Clarion and believe that other travelers not seeking luxury digs will enjoy it and the savings which can be had by staying here.

Room Tip: Get a room poolside by all means. Due to the design of the hotel it means the difference between a v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The rooms were dirty and smelly and full of bugs (cockroaches). There were stains on the sheets and other guest's trash behind the furniture. The plumbing was terrible; tubs and sink didn't drain and had a "sewer" smell. The breakfast was free for a reason. Avoid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The evening clerk, a young black woman from Long Island, meade me feel like I was coming home when I returned every evening. The included was excellent.
I did miss that the public television network was not available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the Clarion for two nights while awaiting our Sunday cruise embarkation. We requested the pool side room which has a really nice large pool and a second small one with a fountain. Nice Florida trees and close to good eating places as well as Wal-Mart a couple of blocks away.

One thing my wife and I enjoyed was the complementary breakfasts each morning. They were hot and hard a nice variety with a server juices and coffee. The rooms were so so but for two or three nights we were happy to use the pool, eat a good breakfast and be with in range of shopping we needed before our cruise. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a great time at your hotel, except for the check in. The room was clean, the staff friendly and always willing to help you in any way. We needed a downstairs room, because our daughter is handicap and can't walk upstairs. We requested and were promised a downstairs room, upon making our reservations. When we arrived we were told there was not a downstairs room available until the next day. Upon asking for a pillow and a blanket, so my daughter and I could sleep on the couch, while my husband took the room (due to lateness in day, we were locked into reservation) another desk clerk found us a room on the bottom floor. We will be back and we did enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!