“Met Expectations!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens) to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3701 East Fowler Ave., Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gaborone, Botswana
“Met Expectations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We decided to stay at the La Quinta for two reasons: proximity to USF and price. I am usually a little hesitant to stay at a budget hotel and rely heavily on reviews on sites like this when I do. This La Quinta had gotten very good reviews and I left my stay feeling they were completely deserved!

The hotel is located directly across the street from USF, definitely within walking distance if you wanted to risk your life crossing Fowler Ave. The hotel was easy to find and many shopping and dining options near-by.

The hotel is very clean. If you are looking for serenity, there is a nice garden area with a gazebo leading to the pool and hot tub. There is a small exercise room. The rooms themselves are not fancy but clean and spacious. The breakfast was fine with muffins, cereals, and waffle machines. USA Today’s provided. I think I was most impressed with the service. As far as I can remember, this is the first hotel where the front desk called me after check-in to make sure the room met my standards. I have not gotten that service at higher star hotels.

Overall, if great price, clean place and close to USF is what you are going for, then checkout the La Quinta.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Really had no complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
561 Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights after having a horrible cockroach experience at the Days Inn on Busch Blvd across from Busch Gardens. The service here is excellent. Our room was very spacious and clean. Its really close to Busch Gardens & the Imax Theater which I highly recommend seeing a movie at. Our stay was so nice that we are coming back this weekend to go back to the theme park. Fowler is a much safer neighborhood to stay on than Busch Blvd.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for two days while doing campus tours of area colleges. Our room was large, comfortable and clean. We had absolutely no complaints. Check in and check out was fast, easy and accurate. The breakfast was typical muffins, toast, bagels, cereal, waffles, etc. We were both very comfortable during our stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

We booked our room a week in advance, told them No Smoking .When we checked in the lady said you are in a Smoking room I said I can't have a smoking room due to health reasons, She said I can give you a room with a king bed and a pull-out bed at no extra charge, She said that would be $69.99 &tax, No problem then when she changed our room she said that will be $81.68,that was the first problem . We got to the room tried to turn the air on,no such luck the terostast was not working,the lady said I will go to the desk and try there if that don,t work I'll move you to another room , that didn't happen that was problem #2. My husband said the bed was too spongy to suit him, my mom said the pull out bed felt like the springs were coming through the matress, they need to invest in new pillows they were really uncomfortable to sleep on. that was #3. The toliet didn't flush properly and was really loud & there was no shelf in the tub\shower area for soap etc. that's #4. The breakfest wasn't that great it needs more variety no meat was offered with the waffles.that brings us to#5 then the last thing was we couldn't use the pool due the storm that went through the area a few minutes before we arrived. the nice thing about the hotel was it was real convient to the water park and theme park, there were plenty of eaterys around, the Day staff was great .We stayed at the motel July 23Rd checked out July 24Th , We would use the motel again but would check the room out before paying for it.

• Liked — close to the theme park and water park, plenty of eaterys.
  • Disliked — the therastat not working in our room the room was stuffy the lady didn't move us when we told her of the problem.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We ran away from the Econo Lodge at Bush Gardens we ran for our lifes the Econo was terrible. So we came to La Quinta and they saved our stay at Tampa. Thank God they had the 3 rooms we need it we were a group of 11. We had 2 great nights here. Very nice service at the front desk. She was the best. Rooms comfortable, big and very clean. Great breakfast too. Thank you La Quinta.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the La Quinta USF on two occasions in January 2008. From January 17-18 on arrival in Tampa so we could go to Busch Gardens the next day then travel and stay in Orlando to visit Disney World; and from January 20-21 on our return from Orlando and prior to our departure from the Tampa airport.

Our check in on January 17 was accomplished very efficiently at around 11 am. The person at the desk was lovely and helpful. Our room was very clean and fairly large. It had all the basics – king bed, fridge, microwave, writing desk, recliner and a large television.

The free breakfast the next day consisted of bread, bagels, peanut butter, jelly, hot cereal, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, regular cereal, fruit, milk and juice. While we were eating everything was refilled promptly. It kept us going until we could have lunch at Busch Gardens.

The La Quinta is ideally located to Busch Gardens. In nice weather you could probably walk to BG, but we drove since the Florida area was going through a cold spell while we were there.

We loved Busch Gardens! It was everything I thought it would be (our Florida trip was a birthday present from my husband). If you go, definitely do the Serengeti Safari -- at least on your first visit. Priceless experience and great pictures. They provide a photographer on the trip and you can buy a pretty affordable CD at the conclusion of the safari.

If you’re going to Orlando, I would say take my advice as well as the advice of other TA forum posters who advised me to stay in Orlando on the days we were going to WDW. You don’t want to make the drive from Tampa to Orlando each day. It’s a longish drive and it would be even worse in bad traffic.

While at the La Quinta we ate at the Chinese buffet down the street on the advice of the front desk lady and picked up food from the 5 Brothers burgers. We picked up snacks and drinks down the street at the Family Dollar.

On our return to the La Quinta on January 20 after visiting the Animal Kingdom, our check-in was once again achieved with a minimum of fuss. Our room was ready, clean and adequately supplied with towels and the like.

One disappointment – while the La Quinta has free wireless, there is no business center to print boarding passes. We used the Kinko’s down the street.

I was pretty pleased with the service provided by La Quinta. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again or recommend the hotel to a friend or relative. I believe it offers excellent value for money.

Feel free to contact me with questions about the La Quinta; Busch Gardens; Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom. Have a great trip when you go.

• Liked — Location; Proximity to airport; Great price; Lovely Staff
  • Disliked — No computer to print boarding passes
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

Family of 5 stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Tampa after being at Busch Gardens all day. Very close to amusement park. Free continental breakfast (make your own waffles) was good. Room was sizable and comfortable. My only problem was that upon checking in, noticed a sign that said that the hotel was pet-friendly. I don't really like staying at a hotel that allows pets. The walls in the room were a little banged up (needing paint) and the carpeting throughout the room had a lot of stains. Possible pet accidents? Otherwise clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)? Share your experiences!