“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Ashburn, Virginia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We've eaten at the "original" Thai Thani in Orlando many times and have never had a bad meal, so we decided to eat here when in Tampa as we thought we would have just as good of an experience. We were wrong.

The restaurant is located in the Channelside Bay Plaza, which appears to have many closed businesses. The restaurant is located upstairs, and we could not find an elevator and the escalator was not working, so up the stairs we went. If you have problems climbing stairs, you will have a problem reaching the restaurant. There is free parking in a surface lot across the street from the restaurant. There is also reduced rate parking in a nearby garage. We dined on a Sunday evening and there were very few customers - At most four tables with no more than three customers per table. I'm not sure if there were few customers due to the location or the quality of their food.

My husband and I shared the crab Rangoon appetizer which was quite good, but that's where it ended. I was disappointed that my favorite item at the Orlando location was not on the menu at the Tampa location, but I got past that as I love Thai food and knew there would be something else that would be good. I had the prawn clay pot and my husband had the double delight that contained chicken and shrimp. Both dishes were greasy. I've had the clay pot dish in several other restaurants, and always enjoyed it. This version had bacon in it which is something I've not seen before, and maybe that is one of the reasons the dish was so greasy.

We were offered chopsticks, which I thought odd as the restaurant has a lot of authentic items as decorations, so I thought they would try to stay true and truly be Thai, and chopsticks are not Thai. Maybe they are trying to "Americanize" their restaurant by offering things Americans like, but in my opinion, the secret to having authentic food is to be true to the cuisine.

We won't be back to this location.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Out of many items; sort of expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We recently went to Thai Thani for lunch. They were out of two items on the kid's menu which were cheese and key lime juice. The portions are large, but with no specials it was expensive. Great decor and options on the menu.

Connecticut
“Gorgeous restaurant, excellent view, excellent staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Superb Thai cuisine in a wonderful setting. The restaurant looks a bit big for the customer base, but that means you've got a choice of many, many tables. Our host was so accommodating that he took us outside to the deck; it was a shade chilly and too breezy, and he was more than happy to find us a great table inside with a water view.
The decor is beautiful, with plenty of attention to detail and upkeep. This is many notches above the standard Thai restaurant.
The menu selection is average or better, the prices are reasonable and the quality of our meals was uniformly strong - from satay to fried tofu to a charmingly spicy but still flavorful chicken dish. A definite place to return to on the next trip.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good Choice for Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Thai Thani offered a romantic atmosphere with beautiful and authentic decor from Thailand. The taste and presentation of the meal was excellent and it's all done at a reasonable price. For those visiting Tamap it is located in the Channelside Bay Plaza and is easily accessed using the TECO Line Streetcar. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“Good Thai Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The atmosphere was very nice. We do not like fast food places nor do we like very expensive places so this was perfect for us. The service and food was really good. It was our first visit there and when we are in the area we will go back.

Visited May 2014