“Ok, but definitely should not be ranked number 5” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4955 East 18th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605   |
Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manteno, IL
“Ok, but definitely should not be ranked number 5”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I am originally from Tampa and remember when this hotel became a run down Holiday Inn and then became the Milner Hotel which was a spot for drug deals. But I will say the Quality Inn did some very nice renovations. You would never known its past. It is very difficult to get to. I would suggest calling and asking directions first. The road patterns have changed recently so even a GPS can get confused. The area is very rough, but the way the hotel is situated you really do not know how bad it is. The rooms still have a new feel. The beds were comfortable. It was amazing how scarred up some of the walls were already with it being so new. It does seem to be a spot for many of the constructions workers/truck drivers and they were hanging out in the lobby area often.
The days I was there they had no wireless in the rooms, the elevators did not work and the fire alarms were covered and told you to call 911. I was told they were hit by lightning. They had people there working but they seemed to be having a problem getting it fixed. The pool area is new and probably the biggest disappointment. You felt you were surrounded by weeds ( they weren't just poor choice of landscaping ), but the pool was not clean at all. I got in and did not stay long. I was going to stay longer, but the front desk staff was pleasant and understanding when I told them I was leaving. I ended up getting the Wyndam Westshore on Priceline for the same price. If you are looking for a clean hotel to sleep in near the Fairgrounds or Ybor this is definitely not a bad place at this time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights (Fri & Sat). We did have a bit of trouble getting to the hotel once we got off I-4. The hotel is visible from the road, but we could not figure out how to get there. My directions were wrong and we did drive in a circle once or twice before we finally figured out the best way to get to the parking lot. I would recommend turning onto 583, make a left onto Melbourne Blvd, and then make the first left in front of the Days Inn.

While the hotel itself is obviously still brand new and in wonderful, clean condition, it does seem to be in a questionable part of town. We never had any problems or felt unsafe while on property though. The front desk staff was friendly and answered our questions about parking in Ybor City and how to get to different places. Our room was spotless and the bed was comfortable. The air conditioner is quite loud, but it didn't bother us much. Our room was right beside the ice maker though and the noise of the ice falling into the ice bucket was pretty loud - especially when guests got ice at 3am. We wished the ice maker had been in its own room.

While we didn't make use of it, the pool was nice and clean, as well as the patio. We did have the morning continental breakfast, which was plentiful and a great amenity. The hotel's location is convenient to Ybor City (10 min away), Busch Gardens, and the Lowry Park Zoo (each maybe 15 min away). Overall I would highly recommend a stay in this hotel and if my husband and I ever take another trip to Tampa, we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We were a family with young children arriving 3 amish on a Saturday night. Staff was nice but many wild characters arriving. We walked through a lobby with a TV BLARING obscenities and violence as the 4 of us walked through. There seemed to be many people hanging out in that lobby/breakfast area at that time of night.. The price for the room was great and we might have tried it another night had we not noticed questionable stains on the shower wall and shower curtain. We spent another $40 and had a great room near the airport further away from Busch Gardens and considered it WELL worth it, even with the drive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
ManagementFLA63, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Dear Icanseeclearlyn0w;

Thank you very much for your feedback. We take it very seriously and we deeply regret you did not have a plesant experience while staying at our hotel. If people are taking the time to give their feedback — even if it’s negative — that’s an opportunity for us to re-frame your point of view with our entire staff and hopefully turn this situation into a positive experience for future guest. We have taken action with each department head to correct these issues and discussed them in our staff meetings. We would appreciate it if you would consider staying with us again and we assure you that your visit will not be like your last.

Sincerely;

Virginia Lalani
Crawfordville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

everything was nice robert knew where to go and how to get what we need for our trip

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear j_3photography;

Thank you for your review. We value very much the time you took to let us know about your stay. We are very happy to have Robert as part of our team as for he takes pride in representing our Quality Inn & Suites. Our Front Desk staff is amazing and they will do all in their power to make your stay much more comfortable.

Respectfully yours-
Virginia Lalani
Littleton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My youth group and I cam down to Tampa for a wordchangers mission trip. While we were there one night we met Robert. He was a very nice guy and treated us as family. He is also a very good singer and has a great personality. He made our trip a great one.

Sincerely Logan

• Stayed July 2010
Crawfordville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We knew nothing about Tampa-Food,fun etc. The hotel staff, one in particular was named Robert, this guy was on his game. Robert helped us get our family tickets for Busch Gardens online, gave us directions many of times for food and leisure activities and really enjoyed us asking him. Because of Robert, our stay was worth it. We had 8 people in our party, in less than 24 hours Robert knew everyone of our names and treated us better than family. I work in retail and many people are quick to complain, but how can you we the customer service exceeds your demanding expectations. Robert saved the day, the trip, the vacation. Thank you, Sincerely Benny In Crawfordville.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I took my 14 year old son and his 3 friends to Tampa Skate park...Quality inn is less than a mile away...I passed 2 hotels that looked horrible and am so glad i checked tripadvisor! We had a wonderful experience...I brought 2 air mattresses with sheets..I took one Queen bed and 2 boys took another the other 2 boys had the air mattresses....for our two day stay....Robert at the front desk was extremely helpful and polite and friendly....I would hire him in a heartbeat! I asked for extra towels and 2 extra blankets...the room already had 8 pillow on the beds. The room and hallways were spotless. To top it off free breakfast including waffle makers the boys loved that. They skated all day and i went to Ybor to shop....at $54 bucks a night what a deal!! Thanks Quality Inn for making my stay with 4 boys so pleasant!!!! P.S. the pool was very clean!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City? Share your experiences!