“Not high brow, but good for an over night” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4955 East 18th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605   |
Ranked #17 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Marco Island, Florida
“Not high brow, but good for an over night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was going on a cruise Labor Day weekend and the Republican National Convention was in town at the same time (ugh, what a nightmare). We could not find a hotel to save our lives. We booked at some hole in clearwater for $175 with no shuttle service or anything to the port. Fast forward to a week before the cruise and Hurricane Isaac changed our luck :) This hotel suddenly had a couple empty rooms and honored their cruise and park specials. It's a newer hotel, hard to find as GPS tells you to travel south on 41 when you want to go north off of I4. Remember you want to turn at the SHell station at 41 and Melbourne then turn left right behind the Shell where you'll see crappy Days Inn...just keep going down that road and you'll see Quality Inn around the bend.

The staff was VERY friendly (Hi Bobby...helped me with directions), rooms were very clean and the hotel is newer. We were able to park 2 cars there. The shuttle to the port was great (I need to leave a review for the man that owned the service. He was a gem). and pickup after the cruise was quick and painless.

I'd highly recommend staying here if you have a special event and just need a place to sleep. I didn't give it 5 stars as there is no where to walk to eat and the 'hood isn't the best. Oh, my friends said the pool was nice, but the music was a pain as we could hear it in our room and we were trying to rest. But eventually you don't notice it.

I'm sure normal prices are more reasonable, but we did pay much more due to the convention. but it was worth it as there was NO WHERE ELSE TO STAY in that city. The breakfast was your usual carby fair LOL, but at least you can get something before heading out.

There is a food service that is mostly Italian food that will deliver room service. We just ordered pizza and it was pretty good (says the girl originally from Chicago...I don't say that easily). LOL

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
live oak
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

stayed here two nights, was kinda leary because of the location, but it turned out to be a nice clean place. staff was helpful and the breakfast was average. it was available until 1030 on the weekends which was nice after a long night at the casino you could sleep in a little later. we have a king suite with a seperate living area. two bathrooms which was very nice. we would stay again in the future. wanted a first floor room, was told they were booked. there was not hardly any cars in the parking lot both nights. cons: stayed in the second building which was a nice walk to the first building to get breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our family of 6 (aged 5-72) booked one of their suites prior to our cruise. It is an ideal place to be. Very near the Port Authority. They provide a free shuttle to the dock and they will pick you up after you return from your cruise; all you need to do is call. Also, you may leave your vehicle there free of charge until you return. We had booked one of their large suites to sleep 6; unfortunately the pull out couch for Gram and PaPa was AWFUL - BUT all it took was a phone call to the desk and Gram and PaPa were comp'd a king room at no charge. We were very grateful for that and had a wonderful nights rest. The surrounding neighborhood is NOT a walking neighborhood but we weren't there for evening walks. VERY close to downtown Ybor City. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Recently just stayed 2 nights on July 3rd and 4th. The hotel itself is right off I4, room was clean. Exactly what we needed. Neighborhood across the way isn't the best but still a good hotel. Just 3 miles to downtown ybor and some good bars. Kind of a journey to find a supermarket, you have to stop by Brocatos just down the street, amazing food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manteno, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was once a Holiday Inn that kept getting worse and was finally abandoned. Quality Inn came in and gave it a facelift. I stayed several years back when it was brand new. It was not bad and very affordable. I had a free night stay so I tried it again. Big mistake. It has not aged well. The carpet was disgusting. The lock on the door was almost broken off as you could tell someone had attempted to break in. The refrigerator made very loud noises periodically. It is in a bad part of town also. And if you want to use the internet be prepared for VERY slow service. I also itched all night. Was afraid there were bedbugs, but never saw any so not sure what that was. Never again for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great quality, and value and quit surprising. We did not expect a quality inn to be so nice. Everything was clean and in good order. The breakfast was the typical continental style but adequate. Yes its in the middle of a rough area but we felt safe. I definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Decent average facilities. Carpets are pretty dingy and AC unit vent in my room looked like it hadn't ever been cleaned out. My slight asthma was truggered dutung my entire 2-night stay.

Hotel is located in the middle of a depressed area of town - not Ybor City proper, so be aware of that. Not much around in terms of restaurants, etc. You will need a car to get around. Staff immediately upgraded me to larger room upon check-in since my initial room had a very dirty toilet commode.

Worse part of stay was waking up this morning to a bedbug crawling on my arm, despite conducting a good search for any signs of them when i came in. No bites on me but, I caught the bug alive and showed it hotel staff. Staff indicated they knew of bedbug problem in another room and thought it was eradicated. Staff was understanding, helping me to put my clothes in dryer for a time to kill off any lingering bugs and promised me a refund of my prepaid costs.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City? Share your experiences!