“Could do with updating.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Busch Gardens Offer
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Tampa
Dunfermline, Scotland
“Could do with updating.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Having seen good reviews for this property, we booked it for a night stay, being quite close to Busch Gardens, we thought this was ideal. We were travelling up from Interstate 275 with the Hotel being a good 5 odd miles from the exit. There are some undesirable areas that we drove through to get to the hotel and I was beginnng to think we had misunderstood the directions. We did find the hotel, (it is closer to I75) so would be better for travellers to come in from there. We booked in January on the prepayment rate and therefore couldnt be changed or cancelled. Prior to our trip, I noticed that on our reservation it indicated that the pool would be closed during our stay. I was very disappointed at this given as we had already paid for the stay and it couldnt be cancelled. Surely they would have known the pool was due to be refurbished when we booked it, had we known that we would have booked somewhere else. The young man on reception, who looked like he had just finished school, couldnt really have cared less when I commented on it when checking in and didnt offer an apology. The main lobby was nice with a vaulted ceiling. Our room was a 1 bedroom suite. There was a strange smell in the room when we entered and none of the windows would open to let in some fresh air. The room was very dark, even when we opened the voile curtains in both the living room & the bedroom. The dark furniture & carpets didnt help to lighten it up.
The breakfast was nice enough, standard, fruit, cereals, waffles, oatmeal etc.
On our second night, we were awoken by the fire alarm and with no communication from the front desk we left our room and went downstairs to find all the other guests out in the carpark. The manager on duty didnt really seem to know what was going on and was rather confused and kept running in and out of the front door. He did indicate there was no fire and it was to do with the alarm going off in one of the lifts. 2 fire engines turned up and after about 45 minutes or so we were allowed back into our rooms. Not the hotels fault, I know, but when your travelling with children, I would liked to have been able to contact the front desk to know what was going on.
I dont think I would book this Hampton again unless it was updated. It did have a guest laundry which is useful but why do they always put it at the end of the furthest away room possible? It was a miles walk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Seedling17
Heather F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I'm sorry that our pool was closed for renovations during your stay and can assure you that we do care about your concerns. I apologize if our front office team did not react in that way when you addressed this with them. Guest comfort, safety and health is always our top priority and we're reviewing current protocols during fire alarms. We only hope that you'll consider staying with us again to see our changes, should you return to our area and the U.S.

Kind regards,

Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was my second stay here in 15 months. It's a pleasant place and the staff is friendly but they get a slight ding from me this time because the fire alarm went off on Saturday night at 11:30 PM and we were all whisked outside. Luckily the weather was pleasant. Now this was not the usual case of a prankster pulling the alarm or someone smoking in their room. The alarm went off because of smoke coming from the elevator room. Sure enough, when I checked in a few hours earlier, the elevator was broken. [For hotel management that may question this incident report, it happened on Saturday night, April 13, 2013. The Tampa Fire department was there for over an hour before we could return to our room]. Does this hotel have a maintenance problem? Watch for future tripadvisor reports to see if this happens again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Your health and safety is always our number one priority. We certainly understand your concern and are doing our best to ensure you and other guests are always taken care of. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional concerns and we hope we can welcome you back as one of our loyal guests. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have stayed here 3 times and each evening there is a wine, soft drink and very large appetizer reception. The person serving was amazing!!! an extra bonus of this Hamtpon is Lettuce Lake Park just a short walk away. We will be back next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Seneca, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We, a party of four, were graciously and efficiently welcomed at the front desk. We had stayed at Tampa North Hampton Inn before and had good memories, but it had been a couple of years since we had been in Tampa to attend the Sun and Fun Air Show nearby.

Nikole made us aware of the afternoon Manager's light buffet and hot breakfast in the mornings. She was attentive to us, only interrupting to warmly welcome each new guest. Our request for a refrigerator and microwave were honored by the staff before we checked in and the rooms were beyond our expectation in design and cleanliness.

After we commented to Nikole that we missed having chocolate chip cookies that we had enjoyed on previous stays, Nikole served the cookies to us and all the guests present that evening.

Nikole was so complimentary of the hotel it made us feel even more sure of our desire to stay there in the future

Room Tip: Going by the two rooms we and our friends stayed in, I don't think anyone can go wrong. If a gu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hahira, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

noisy thruout the night with drunk teenagers in the halls. The problem was never resolved. The employees of the front desk came up to the third floor stepped off the elevator looked down the one hall then stepped back on elevator and left. There was another hall down from my room and to the right, the employee never walked down to this hall. This occurred three times during the night. I complained to the front desk when I checked out. She stated that she "was just coming on and didn't know anything about that." She never stated anything else to me and acted as if she could care less.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Kathy A
Heather F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our security team. We will review proper protocols with our staff, but I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Safe travels,
Heather
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot for business and was in town for one night. This was an affordable hotel, so we decided to stay here. The front desk was friendly helpful and was very helpful. They told me of their afternoon cocktail party and the hot breakfast in the morning. They arranged a cab for me and it was on time. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff and rooms make this an easy first choice when I visit our Tampa office. The staff is firiendly, caring, and very attentive. The remodeled rooms make staying away from home very pleasant. Nikole handled the check in process fast, effcient and welcomed each guest warmly making sure they had everything they needed. After a long day at the office she is there again welcoming you back by name and delicious hors d'oevres. On my last visit, I saw Pam waiting by an elderly, lost and disoriented guest till she located and found his searching relatives. A simple, caring touch that makes you want to come back again and again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business