We stayed at this Hyatt Place with our 24 Polk State College students and 3 other chaperones and a bus driver while attending a music symposium at the Univ. of South Fla. We were very pleased with our room (immediately next to elevator yet quiet, 4th floor) which was a king room. Upon arrival in the room, it was slightly musty (not as fresh(cleaning product) smelling as many in which we've stayed), but all appeared quite clean and once the a/c was turned down a bit, it smelled better throughout the stay. (We also noticed dehumidifiers in the hallways and some of the students commented on musty smelling rooms.)
Thought about rating 4/5 due to musty areas, but so much else made up for it I decided to keep at 5 stars. I attribute the musty smell more to facilities issues than actual housekeeping. Our room was very clean, well appointed, and very comfortable. The refrigerator had no freezer, however, my 'freezer packs' (for keeping insulin cold as we travel) stayed frozen in the mini-fridge for 2 days when we turned it on coldest setting. The shower was great! No tub (step-in shower w/ nice glass doors!), grab bar, non-slip mat provided, and ample space. The shower head had good pressure, no soft water (thank goodness!), and the shampoo was good. (see pictures)
The bed (king) was pillow-top comfortable with plenty of pillows, soft clean sheets, warm, soft thick covers. Slept great!
The room was spacious for husband and me and in addition to the bed and shower/toilet areas included a queen sofa bed, desk w/ chair, wet bar area, 42" lcd tv, and nice size vanity area which opened to the bed area. The small closet also contained a safe, iron & ironing board and enough room for plenty of hangup clothing. The door to the closet was mirrored - so no shortage of mirrors.
The students were staying 4 to a room and with the way the rooms were laid out - were more comforable with the king bed & queen sofa bed set-up than if they'd been in the 2 double bed rooms which were unavailable. With the vanity and wet-bar areas - there was plenty of prep space for all the students to work on their appearance at one time.
This facility is one of the best in which we've stayed when traveling with school groups. It was convenient to USF and provided breakfast as part of the room cost. This is a great help to our students who are usually short on funds and big on appetites. The breakfasts consisted of 2-3 hot dishes (2 egg offerings and waffles) along with 2-3 fruits, milk, juices, coffee, little donuts, bagels, variety of toasting breads, yogurt, cereal, hot oatmeal and all the fixins for those items you would want. The staff did a great job keeping up with the breakfast rush of students who were preparing for long days of rehearsals.
The staff was friendly and helpful - even the young man sweeping the hallway offered to help with my luggage as I was leaving - very kind! We checked in at 4:30 and they had all the room keys ready and packaged for each room of students & chaperones (we had 10 rooms, I believe).
Basically the same room layout & amenities as the Lake Mary (FL) Hyatt Place we stayed back in August - except that the shower door at the Tampa location was full closure instead of partial closing. Tampa had the better shower enclosure!
Although we felt quite safe inside the hotel - we cautioned the students about going out alone at any time - esp. at night. The area surrounding the hotel is primarily business and other hotels which makes the area around the hotel a target for 'transient' crime. Just be smart about not going out alone and pay attention to surroundings.
Note if viewing our uploaded pictures...these pics were taken upon our departure - the room had not yet been serviced. It was actually very nice upon arrival.
We plan on returning to this hotel next year for the same event!
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Place Busch Gardens Hotel Tampa
- Hyatt Place Busch Gardens Hotel
- Hyatt Place Tampa
- Hyatt Place Hotel Tampa
- Hyatt Tampa
- Hyatt Busch Gardens
- Tampa Hyatt
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hyatt Place Tampa/Busch Gardens, a preferred hotel of Busch Gardens, features 126 newly converted rooms. Each spacious guest room features a high-definition 42in. flat panel television that easily integrates with laptops and other electronic devices, refrigerator, coffee maker, plush Hyatt Grand Bed and a comfortable Cozy Corner with sleeper sofa. The Hyatt Place Gallery offers an innovative approach to select service dining. Complimentary continental breakfast buffet is inclusive every morning and features complimentary Starbucks coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, AAA Travel Services, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Olotels, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Place Busch Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.