“Lovely place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Lovely place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My partner and I managed to get this room on a bidding site and it exceeded our expectations. The rooms were lovely, and the bed was beyond comfortable. Staff was very accommodating. If we hadn't had plans to go to Miami, we probably would have stayed there another night or two.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rugby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Front desk staff were excellent!! There was a lot of work going on when we checked in therefore a lot of drilling noise etc. Our room was extremely noisy. We were given an alternative room straight away with no issues which was much quieter. The room was huge with everything you would need. The bathroom though definately needs an upgrade, very tatty and aged which didnt match with the rest of the room. We were staying as tourists and would only reccomend because of the proximity to Busch Gardens. There is nothing else in the area, very few restaurants within walking distance and if I am honest I wouldnt have wanted to walk around that area after dark, it seemed very dodgy to me!! Having said all that, when I completed their online survey I had an email just a few hours later from the manager apologising for any issues that I had. I was quite impressed with that!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Traveling for business at USF, this property was chosen due to location and brand. Upon arrival, that area was a little sketchy, but close to USF. There is a train track that runs right by the hotel, and it made me think twice about checking in, but there was no noise from the train. The hotel is currently under a much needed renovation. Upon checkin, the staff was knowledgeable and very helpful. Once checked in, we were greeted by staff who told us about the hotel and offered us information about the a complimentary water and cookie, which we found very welcoming.

Upon exiting the elevator, it was obvious that the hotel was under renovation, as the noise from tile work was overwhelming. There was also a random room chair in the hallway. The hotel does not have a service elevator, so housekeeping carts and construction workers ride along with guests. Having asked the construction workers what time they worked, they mentioned only between 10 am, and 5 pm, which I found acceptable. HOtels need regular updates and occasional capital renovations, and if you book your room on-line, there is no way you can know if a property is having work done. You must call directly and ask the front desk. Generally hotels work on one floor at a time and pull that floor off the market, unless sold out.

Upon seeing the room, it just looked tired. The mattress had dents, carpet and cloth furniture, showed wear. The overall look of the room is pleasant, but in need of updating. Upon closer inspection, I found that the air conditioner was full of something, the tub had some small plastic round thing in it. I have to believe that this room was not inspected by housekeeping.

I immediately went to the front desk, and spoke with management. They were very friendly and I was able to move to a different room. The 2nd room was much improved and no complaints. This is what I had expected when I first came in. I met the General Manager and the Front Office Manager who were both very apologetic. The GM was new to the hotel and working to make the improvements needed for the property. I believe this property with such a great staff will be up and running in a in a stellar way in a few months when they are finished with a few more of the renovated rooms. Call first and make sure you have an updated room.

The only ice machine is on the third floor near the higher numbers, such as 325, so keep away from that end of the building if on the third floor.

Room Tip: Call when making a reservation, or make reservation on line and call the desk the day of arrival to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Plantation, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This location is about 1 miles from Busch Gardens and is excellent for Families on vacation. I'm not very impressed with the WiFi in the rooms for the business traveller. It is hit in miss as far as Wifi goes and the desk space is average at best.

You'll find some updated fixtures as well as dated furniture within the rooms (the beds were made in 2006 and need to be replaced). The rooms offer a small refrigerator but no microwave (although you can use the one located in the lobby). The rooms suffer from dirty wall mounted HVAC units and many reveal mold/mildew within the housing (see photos).

There are several areas to eat/shop; but be careful after dark.

Room Tip: I have stayed here 2-3 times a week over the past few months and can say that the rooms on the 5th a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night when passing through the Tampa area. The room I got was fabulous, with a large, comfortable sofa, a fridge/sink area, a very large TV and a large, comfy king bed. The room was immaculately clean, and came with great amenities in the bathroom. My room was at the end of the hall directly across from the alcove with the ice maker in it, but despite this, the room was very quiet and I never heard anyone getting ice.

The staff at this hotel were very friendly, and came through for me when I had an odd request (I needed a cardboard box...the front desk manager was happy to get an empty box out of the kitchen area for me, and seemed delighted that he'd met my need perfectly). The pool area was pretty standard, but was clean and had plenty of chairs. There were initially no towels in the pool area, but they were replenished while I was swimming without anyone going to ask.

Breakfast at the hotel was great, and there was no problem with my taking my breakfast back to the room to eat. The location of this hotel was convenient for what I needed, and despite some construction in the area, the traffic wasn't bad. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first Hyatt Place stay and I was very impressed. We had a room with two double beds, a sitting area with a pull out sectional, refrigerator, wet bar and desk. I loved the layout, there was plenty room to stretch out and the kids could go to bed while I had a place to work or read. Another thing I loved was the breakfast was served on plates with real silverware! This is so much more comfortable and environmentally friendly. I’ve stayed at many Hampton Inns and always hated the Styrofoam plates that they use. Kudos to the professional and friendly staff that referred to me by name several times during my stay. I will be sure to look for Hyatt Places whenever I travel from now on.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

After our trip to Sarasota, we were flying out of Tampa. We stayed at the Hyatt for just one night. The room was nice and they had a great breakfast in the morning. The staff was very helpful. The day we stayed was a rainy day. An indoor pool would have been nice for the kids. Other than that, we did have a nice stay. The Hyatt is also very close to many restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Busch Gardens? Share your experiences!