“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the Gasparilla Distance Run. The staff is great,very friendly . The room was nice size and comfortable. THe hotel is walking distance to the Convention Center were the run expo took place and also the start / finish line. There is no self parking,which made me nervous,my car was new and really didnt want to have other people drive it,but no damage was done.
When I got home,I realized i had left my running singlet in the room,its my lucky running shirt. I called the hotel,and they had it and mailed it back to me,which was great.
I have already made reservations here for next Febs run.
Highly recommend this hotel to all runners.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

This was a blessed stay. I received great service from the moment I called to confirm my reservation. The operator was pleasant and informative, as was everyone I talked to. I always ask a lot of questions before I check-in and while I stay as well. They were very agreeable to my requests, even offering to change rooms if I didn't like something about the first one booked. I kept the first one, and the result was a great night's sleep for me and my teenager in a pleasantly clean, quiet and relaxing atmosphere and a decent view of the Downtown area.
The amenities were simple, but completely satisfactory for the length of time and purpose for our stay (the MetroCon at the Tampa Convention Center).
Even though there is a coffee maker, they have plenty of coffee, creamers and extras at the coffee service area in the lobby. There is a nice flat-screen TV, data terminals, and clean glasses (with coasters), and plenty of pleasant grooming aids.
The beds were super comfortable as were the pillows. The bed-sheets were smooth and clean, no rips, or raggedy edges. The towels were soft and plentiful. The shower, toilet, sink and lights worked without problem. I was pleasantly surprised at the quiet fan in the bathroom, and the reasonably quiet air-conditioner...which adjusted well to our comfort preferences. The walls and hallways are quiet (we were away from the elevators and machines) and we're fussy about noise.
The room and the hotel in general was very clean. I always check in corners for missed trash and dirt, and in the showers and sinks for dirt or mold...none found. The carpet was remarkably free of any old ground in dirt that shows up on your feet or socks...none!

The hotel's location was very convenient to the Convention Center in Tampa, and the shuttle was free. Waiting for the shuttle was minimal as getting around downtown Tampa is tricky with the rail-extension under construction, but using the shuttle was a bonus as the times the shuttle is available was perfect for our needs. Even though we could have parked in the streets, we chose the very convenient valet parking. The extra cost of valet parking is worth being worry-free.
We also found plenty of places to eat close to the hotel both in the evening and early morning. Though the breakfasts in the hotel look inviting they aren't free, so if you prefer staying in the hotel for breakfast be aware of the extra cost. However, the price of the room couldn't be beat, so you basically save in the long run.

I will definitely stay here again for a short night or two in the future. Thanks Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Nice place to stay with kids. Has kids swimming pool

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stayed here just one night because we were going to a concert at the St Pete Times Forum and this was one of the closest facilities with decent rates. They did a good enough job with everything - nothing stood out as being either good or bad. The hotel was fully booked because of the show but that presented no problems for us. One thing that did not work out was use of the free shuttle that they promoted on their web site. They did indeed have a van running but with a full house all headed in the same direction, it was easier to pay $3 per person (each way) for the first available fee shuttle that came by than wait for the Courtyard van.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I travelled here in April for business. The reason I believe I was placed here was due to the proximity to the Federal Court which I needed to be at for a trial. In the morning I walked to the Court which was within visual and it took me about 10 minutes at the most, probably less.
I enjoyed walking around the city from the hotel and went to the waterfront part and art museum which were both very close. For dinner both nights I walked to the Fly Bar which was about 2-3 blocks away. I really enjoyed this place for the quality of the food and selection of wine and beer. My only problem was that to walk there it does pass through a relatively deserted area, for me anyway, so I felt better being there only during the lighted evening hours. I was not comfortable walking there at night. I also utilized the public bus one day (my first time on a public bus ever) and though it was very close I did feel uncomfortable in this city anywhere off the main path, though this is definitely not the hotels fault.

The hotel is very well located. Near the waterfront, downtown and University. The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. There is no real restaurant on premises so you have to dine elsewhere. It did indicate there was in room dining but I am not sure where the meals are coming from. The breakfast was a typical yogurt and cereal type thing with some fruits and breads. There was also a make your own waffle bar available. I felt the the price for breakfast was a bit high for the food offered but the staff was friendly and service fast.

The beds were very comfortable (half way during my stay I had to move the Quorum hotel and I definityly liked the beds at this hotel better). The air conditioner is the type that comes out of the wall that requires you to adjust the dial. It was kind of noisy but really didnt bother me that much. Overall I would say this was a decent place to stay. It had no frills but it was roomy, clean and well located. I had no problems with my bill or checkin/check out. I would stay here again if i had to do business in the city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights over Easter with my son. Good sized suite with king bed and foldaway bed. Room amenities are very good - approx 70 channels on each of 2 quality TV's so my son and I could watch different programmes without disturbing each other.

Location is excellent for bus station ( I dont hire a car ) and it's easy to get to Busch hardens, skatepark of Tampa and Westshore mall. Hidden treasure is the proximity to Tampa Theatre - a must to be visited for a movie or a show.

There is breakfast in the hotel and plenty of eating options for breakfast. However at nighttime, there are restricted eating options nearby - nothing in hotel and quickly you have to check out Dominos Pizza and Subway.

Staffe were friendly and helpful. All in all, excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Essex Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

OK the good. The staff from the front desk to the cleaning staff is wonderfully attentive. The bathrooms and sinks were nice and clean. It is not too far from museums and things although the neighborhood is a little sketchy. There is a little pool which is nicely heated for swimming on cold nights.
The bad. This is supposed to be a 3-1/2 star hotel.. There is a restaurant only open in the morning that serves mediocre coffee, lumpy grits and unripe fruit from a buffet. The restaurant is closed for lunch and dinner. There is no lobby store. There is a bar in the lobby open part-time. There is no room service. The hotel is in a desolate area and when you walk in the evening you will see many more homeless persons and staggering people than you will hotel guests. My friend has asthma and I have dust allergies and every time we stayed in our room for more than a few minutes we would cough until our chests hurt. The problem left when we went out. First we put the feather (not down, but feather) pillows in the closet hoping that would help. (PS these were yellowed nasty feather pillows disguised with pillow covers, a dander nightmare to the allergic. That didn't work, so I thought what about the air conditioner filers. I pulled the filters out and they were caked with about 1/2 inch of dust and filth. I took a photo before I cleaned them to send to Marriott. This still did not help. We went out to a restaurant and no coughing there for either of us. The last issue is that the rooms with King beds have beds that are like rocks. My friend and I had to share a bed because a double room was not available until the next day. She said it was one of the most uncomfortable nights of sleep she has had in a long time. I agree. It was like sleeping on a board. Whatever was in that room kept us coughing all night too and it was not us because we just got off a week on a cruise boat and neither of us coughed the whole cruise. The beds in the rooms with doubles are much softer but whatever dust or dander that was a problem appears to be in all the rooms. Using feather pillows rather than washed down is not 3-1/2 star quality and can be deadly to an asthmatic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!