“Great Hotel/Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Great Hotel/Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel was very nice. Lobby was clean and well lit and the new Bistro they have in the updated Courtyards have very good food. Valet parking was expensive ($17.00 a day) but the car was always there ready and waiting. The hotel itself was very centrally located. The rooms had clearly been redone but in an unusual way. New wallpaper and paint were obvious but so was the fact that the curtains had not. Room was clean. Good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thank you so much for the great score. I am glad that you liked the food in our Bistro restaurant along with the new renovations. It is always good to hear positive comments from a person tht has reviewed so many properties. Thanks again and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Tampa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a good hotel to stay at if you need a downtown location. It is located in an urban area and it is defiantly not a destination hotel but if you have business to do in downtown Tampa, this would be the place to stay. The hotel is relatively new, the lobby is spacious and clean and there is a large breakfast area. The people are helpful and pleasant. The rooms are standard Courtyard rooms but were very clean and in excellent shape.

There is an inner courtyard which has a pool, Jacuzzi, and basketball court and we were awakened by noise coming from there around 1AM. We called the front desk and the noise stopped in less than 1 minute. I was impressed.

The only issue that I could possibly have is with the parking. Being downtown, there is no on site parking so you are left with the choice of paying $14 to park it yourself two blocks away or $17 for valet parking. (Why not just add the cost of parking to the cost of the room and call it free parking?)

Our stay was pleasant and as I said above the hotel was spotless. I wouldn't have any issues with staying there again.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room that does not face the courtyard if you are looking for quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and the great score rating. I hope you got to enjoy some of the many amenities that you mentioned in your review. These reviews are always important especially when they come from individuals that have reviewed as many properties as you have in the past. I appreciate the comments regarding the parking. I would like to say that we are located in downtown Tampa and like most all urban cities space and parking are a premium. We are one of the lowest overnight parking charges in the city and having a parking lot within a block of the hotel is a great asset to be so close. Again, thank you for the review and I hope that we will see you again soon in the near future!
Pembroke Pines ,Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here overnight whilst visiting a friend in a near by hospital. It was a short stay but a pleasant one. The location of the hotel is very central and near by restaurants. Check in was a breeze, the front end staff were most courteous and friendly.The room was clean and spacious.The bed was very comfortable.Because of time we were not able to use any of the amenities but the pool did looked good and inviting!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the positive review. We love getting scored highly by all but especially those that are frequent reviewers and have visited many different hotels. We are proud of our hotel and I will be happy to share your comments with the team. Hopefully if you are back in Tampa we will see you again. Safe travels!
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Definitely a property with a ton of traffic. Great valet service ($14 per day), very nice staff, and awesome location. Close to lots of places to eat and extremely close to Busch Gardens, approximately, 6 miles. The rooms are average size, the bathrooms are small and our room had a little bit of a musty smell. But for such a busy place this is a well kept property.

• Stayed June 2014
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. We do feel we have a great hotel and location. It is always good to see such a good review from someone who travels and reviews as many places as you have with TripAdvisor! We hope to see you again when you come back to Tampa. Safe Travels!
Tappan, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have stayed numerous times at this property. The front desk staff is super friendly, as well as accomodating. They are down to earth and easy to talk to. Rooms are clean with comfortable beds. I've stayed here with my kids (boys age 9 and 11) and with my mom. Plenty of room in the 2 bedroom suite. Pool is clean and boys love the basketball court right on propery. Breakfast was yummy, something for everyone. Hotel is walking distance to restaurants and the University of Tampa. I've stayed 2 or 3 times and will go back on my next trip to Tampa for sure !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great comments. Having a returning guests is one of the best compliments we can get as a hotel. We realize that there are options but we feel we have a great product and then the staff makes the difference. I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to seeing you on your future visits. Safe travels!
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot Downtown on June 6th and 7th, a Friday and Saturday. I was in town for a basketball tournament at nearby University of Tampa with my 7th grade daughter and her AAU basketball team. Let me preface by saying I am a worrier who plans every detail of a stay. With this in mind I would have to say I have never been more comfortable at hotel since by daughter started traveling three years ago for these events. I'm not a fan of valet parking, but the hotel is in the city and parking is at a premium. So they have valet parking in lieu of the traditional parking lot. When we pulled up there is no rush to remember to get everything out of your car because you don't want to have to have the valet bring the car back up. You can park there for at least fifteen minutes while the attendants bring you a cart for your luggage. The valet staff were great. Very polite and attentive. After checking in with Charles at the front desk who is a consummate professional, I discovered the hotel would provide me with a free shuttle to a nearby restaurant in Ybor City and pick me up. This was getting better and better. The pool and outdoor area is very nice and relaxing, complete with a bbq and basketball court in excellent condition. They supply the basketball!. I requested a refrigerator and not to be near an elevator. Both request were granted. I was on the fifth floor with a view of the city. Was pretty quiet, did hear the occassional motorcyle. Air conditioning was quiet and efficient. A huge plus in my book. Beds good, bathroom adequate. Bathroom door lock was broken and corner beading was falling off a wall which I reported to the desk. It was not a big deal. For us the location was just perfect. There is a First Watch for a big breakfast in walking distance and a NY style pizza place open untill 11pm. Plenty of other restaurants as well. For me the location, layout of the hotel and the staff made it a great stay. I would love to stay here again, unfortunately was probably a one time stay. The hotel is expensive and the bistro and bar are priced a little steep. But I will always have the pleasant memory.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the the great rating and your comments. We enjoyed hosting your team and the pleasure was all ours. I will share your comments with the staff and individuals that you mentioned. Comments from someone who travels as much as you do really let us know that the pride we take in our service and hotel does get noticed. Thank you again and good luck with the rest of your season. Safe travels
maspalomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at the hotel on our last night of a tour of the Gulf Coast. We had tried to book the other Marriott Hotel by the river, and as this was several months ago I can only presume there was a convention and it was alll booked up.
We dropped off a hire car at the airport and it was only a short taxi drive to the hotel. The welcome at reception was nice, although the actual reception desk feels more like an airport check-in than a hotel! The room was 202, on the second floor, at the end of the corridor and overlooking the swimming pool and very close to the street. The room was pleasant, quite large, lots of light, all the usual amenities etc. I inspected the windows and sadly they weren't double glazed so we were a bit worried about the noise. When I made a tea with the coffee maker, the used coffee pod/pouch had not been removed...not good if you are making tea.
The swimming pool at the back of the hotel is very pleasant, lots of loungers, plenty of towels and a hot tub.
We asked at reception about nearby restaurants and they gave us a map of the area and gave us plenty of information.
We did not have any problems of noise during the night and slept very well. Breakfast was I have to say the worst on our american tour. We were confronted with a queue and a basic Starbucks menu. My husband doesn't speak english so it wasn't easy to choose quickly with more people in the queue behind us. We had coffee, fruit, oatmeal (my husband) and I had a bagel. Everything was OK apart from the bagel which was delivered to the table with butter and a whole lot of sweet things, jellies, peanut butter, etc and soft cheese. I asked if I could get margerine, it was as if I had asked for something bizarre! The answer was no, so my breakfast was a dry, in fact very dry bagel. We both agreed that if we had spent a second night at the hotel we would have tried to find somewhere to get a proper breakfast.
We left the luggage at the hotel after checking out and when we returned to pick it up the reception staff quickly got us a taxi to the airport.
The hotel is in a nice part of the city, close to a few restaurants and the river walk, however I felt that the breakfast was a let-down. When you are on holiday breakfast is perhaps the only meal you have in the hotel, I judge hotels by their food as well as everything else. Breakfast is something to relax over and to enjoy. This was not the case at the Marriott Courtyard. I would try to find a hotel serving a proper breakfast next time I visit Tampa.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback. It sounds like all your interactions with the staff and the hotel room were very good but I am sorry that breakfast concept did not meet your needs. Our Bistro set-up is very similar to that of a Panera Bread. So we do have some full service offerings, along with Starbucks and grab and go but it is not like a traditional sit down restaurant. Again, I do apologize that you did not like the restaurant concept. Safe travels and we hope to see you again should you visit Tampa!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!