“Numerous great stays at this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #45 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Tappan, New York
“Numerous great stays at this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have stayed numerous times at this property. The front desk staff is super friendly, as well as accomodating. They are down to earth and easy to talk to. Rooms are clean with comfortable beds. I've stayed here with my kids (boys age 9 and 11) and with my mom. Plenty of room in the 2 bedroom suite. Pool is clean and boys love the basketball court right on propery. Breakfast was yummy, something for everyone. Hotel is walking distance to restaurants and the University of Tampa. I've stayed 2 or 3 times and will go back on my next trip to Tampa for sure !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for the great comments. Having a returning guests is one of the best compliments we can get as a hotel. We realize that there are options but we feel we have a great product and then the staff makes the difference. I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to seeing you on your future visits. Safe travels!

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot Downtown on June 6th and 7th, a Friday and Saturday. I was in town for a basketball tournament at nearby University of Tampa with my 7th grade daughter and her AAU basketball team. Let me preface by saying I am a worrier who plans every detail of a stay. With this in mind I would have to say I have never been more comfortable at hotel since by daughter started traveling three years ago for these events. I'm not a fan of valet parking, but the hotel is in the city and parking is at a premium. So they have valet parking in lieu of the traditional parking lot. When we pulled up there is no rush to remember to get everything out of your car because you don't want to have to have the valet bring the car back up. You can park there for at least fifteen minutes while the attendants bring you a cart for your luggage. The valet staff were great. Very polite and attentive. After checking in with Charles at the front desk who is a consummate professional, I discovered the hotel would provide me with a free shuttle to a nearby restaurant in Ybor City and pick me up. This was getting better and better. The pool and outdoor area is very nice and relaxing, complete with a bbq and basketball court in excellent condition. They supply the basketball!. I requested a refrigerator and not to be near an elevator. Both request were granted. I was on the fifth floor with a view of the city. Was pretty quiet, did hear the occassional motorcyle. Air conditioning was quiet and efficient. A huge plus in my book. Beds good, bathroom adequate. Bathroom door lock was broken and corner beading was falling off a wall which I reported to the desk. It was not a big deal. For us the location was just perfect. There is a First Watch for a big breakfast in walking distance and a NY style pizza place open untill 11pm. Plenty of other restaurants as well. For me the location, layout of the hotel and the staff made it a great stay. I would love to stay here again, unfortunately was probably a one time stay. The hotel is expensive and the bistro and bar are priced a little steep. But I will always have the pleasant memory.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the the great rating and your comments. We enjoyed hosting your team and the pleasure was all ours. I will share your comments with the staff and individuals that you mentioned. Comments from someone who travels as much as you do really let us know that the pride we take in our service and hotel does get noticed. Thank you again and good luck with the rest of your season. Safe travels
maspalomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at the hotel on our last night of a tour of the Gulf Coast. We had tried to book the other Marriott Hotel by the river, and as this was several months ago I can only presume there was a convention and it was alll booked up.
We dropped off a hire car at the airport and it was only a short taxi drive to the hotel. The welcome at reception was nice, although the actual reception desk feels more like an airport check-in than a hotel! The room was 202, on the second floor, at the end of the corridor and overlooking the swimming pool and very close to the street. The room was pleasant, quite large, lots of light, all the usual amenities etc. I inspected the windows and sadly they weren't double glazed so we were a bit worried about the noise. When I made a tea with the coffee maker, the used coffee pod/pouch had not been removed...not good if you are making tea.
The swimming pool at the back of the hotel is very pleasant, lots of loungers, plenty of towels and a hot tub.
We asked at reception about nearby restaurants and they gave us a map of the area and gave us plenty of information.
We did not have any problems of noise during the night and slept very well. Breakfast was I have to say the worst on our american tour. We were confronted with a queue and a basic Starbucks menu. My husband doesn't speak english so it wasn't easy to choose quickly with more people in the queue behind us. We had coffee, fruit, oatmeal (my husband) and I had a bagel. Everything was OK apart from the bagel which was delivered to the table with butter and a whole lot of sweet things, jellies, peanut butter, etc and soft cheese. I asked if I could get margerine, it was as if I had asked for something bizarre! The answer was no, so my breakfast was a dry, in fact very dry bagel. We both agreed that if we had spent a second night at the hotel we would have tried to find somewhere to get a proper breakfast.
We left the luggage at the hotel after checking out and when we returned to pick it up the reception staff quickly got us a taxi to the airport.
The hotel is in a nice part of the city, close to a few restaurants and the river walk, however I felt that the breakfast was a let-down. When you are on holiday breakfast is perhaps the only meal you have in the hotel, I judge hotels by their food as well as everything else. Breakfast is something to relax over and to enjoy. This was not the case at the Marriott Courtyard. I would try to find a hotel serving a proper breakfast next time I visit Tampa.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback. It sounds like all your interactions with the staff and the hotel room were very good but I am sorry that breakfast concept did not meet your needs. Our Bistro set-up is very similar to that of a Panera Bread. So we do have some full service offerings, along with Starbucks and grab and go but it is not like a traditional sit down restaurant. Again, I do apologize that you did not like the restaurant concept. Safe travels and we hope to see you again should you visit Tampa!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Me and my team have recently completed six months of stay in this property and if i have to briefly summarize the experience, i can simply say "home away from home"! Apart from the location advantage, the key attributes of my feedback are based more on the customer service and "never say no to a guest" attitude of the entire team. Be it the front office, back office, house keeping, guest relations, shuttle service to F&B, every member of the crew simply takes care of you and how!

I'd like to make a special mention of the General Manager of the hotel - Mr. Greg Brooks. I think the never say no attitude of the entire team comes straight from Greg. Over a period of time, i have made multiple requests (some may even have been unusual) but never did i hear a no from Greg or his office!

I stayed in the hotel for six long months and the team did everything they could, to make me feel at home and they succeeded with ease! I almost feel like i've left back a part of my family in Tampa...these guys are simply awesome! All branded hotels are clean, provide good service, have good F&B options etc...but what really differentiates a good hotel from an excellent hotel is the human interface and Courtyard by Marriott at Downtown Tampa is an epic example of it. Kudos to them!

Planning your trip to Tampa - this property should be your first choice. My experience suggests that you would not regret a bit.

Room Tip: Ask for the ones with a balcony and facing the main road
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the great review. I will share all the positive comments with our team here at the hotel. It was our pleasure hosting your group and I hope that when you are back in Tampa that we will see you again. Thank you!
LaFayette, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A great place to stay when in downtown Tampa , and location was right where we needed to be. The breakfast was great and People where excellent and helpful and friendly . We will stay again when there close by

Room Tip: If not happy in the room you are in , Go back to the desk . They where very helpful to us.
Green Features: I do not know for sure , but I guess with the way all businesses have to be environmentally safe and friendly now days .
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Location, Location, Location! Very convenient to the Straz, Tampa Museum of Art, Glacier's Children's Museum and so much more! What I loved the most about our stay was the staff! everyone was so nice! They suggested local restaurants to try, brought extra towels with a smile and even gave us a short history lesson on the Ybor District (another local area to check out!) Rooms are not the newest in Tampa, but they were clean and orderly and met with our satisfaction.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing East will overlook the river
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you so much for the great comments. We strive to make sure that all our guests have an experience like you did when they stay with us! Having someone like yourself that has stayed and reviewed so many different locations really means a lot and I will be happy to share it with the team. Safe travels and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here the night before taking our cruise. They have a free shuttle to the port that makes it super convenient. We stayed on the fourth floor in the front of the building on a staurday night. Nice and quiet, no problems with street noise. Easy walking distance to the riverwalk and restaurants. A free continental breakfast would have been nice but then they would have to raise the rate on the room. The price of breakfast for the two of us was less than $20.00. The room rate for a Saturday night was not bad. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review and score! Our location is one of our biggest assets and especially if you are coming in for a cruise. Our shuttle not only gets you down to the port but other restaurants and sites in downtown! Thanks again and I hope that your cruise was fantastic!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!