“Convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Sherbrooke, QC
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed there on our way back from a cruise. They picked us up at the cruise ship terminal. Their shuttle is pretty recent and kept clean. They taxied us to Ybor City and back. Nice place.

The hotel has a nice modern look. The rooms are comfortable and inviting. The wifi coverage is not good though.

The restaurant in the hotel is basic: OK for a breakfast but go elsewhere for lunch or dinner. We went to a nearby pizza place and it was really good.

They arranged a late check out for us since our flight back home was late afternoon. The service was pretty good.

We would return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thanks for the good review. We host so many people going out on the cruises. As you mentioned, being located downtown with the cruise ship port our hotel shuttle can drop you off at the cruise terminal in the matter of a couple of minutes. It reaaly saves on the cost of a cab especially with all the luggage! Glad you got a chance to eat at our Bistro. We have some great options for both breakfast and dinner not to mention Starbucks coffee! Thanks again and safe travels!

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last week for a NHL hockey game. About a 20 minute walk to the arena. If you are a family - do not stay here! They promise you extra towels, a cot, anything you want and do not deliver! They cater to couples or business travellers. They are not really interested in accomodating families!

Room Tip: Good for couples or business! Not for families!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
CanadaRocks,

I do apologize that you were disappointed that you did not receieve a roll-away bed. I can asure you though we are made for not only business travelers but families as well. Families are most of our business on weekends due to our proximity to the cruise ship port. As you can see from previous reviews we do a grea job in that area. Unfortunately, we have only a limited number of roll-away beds for use. All our King rooms have hide-away beds in the sofa and our other rooms have two double beds. So there is not a big need nor a lot of extra space to place the few roll-aways that we have on property that are esentially a request not a gaurantee. Again, sorry that we could not meet your request for the roll-way bed and hope to see you again in the future. Safe travels.
Portage, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a nice hotel, but I was a little freaked out by the cleaning of the room. First my child found a cell phone that had been lost on New Years weekend and there was a dirty pair of underwear under our bed. Gross

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice hotel comment but I am extremely sorry and embarrased due to the cleaniliness issue you have brought to our attention. As you can see from most of our previous reviews this is issue is extremely rare. I do apologize and will follow-up with our houekeeping management and team so that this issue will be resolved. Again, I am grateful that it seems that this issue did not affect the areas of the hotel we excelled in but will address the issue of concern. Thank you and safe travels!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We selected this hotel for its convenient location and for its shuttle service to attractions in the downtown area.The shuttle service was courtious and prompt, and the staff extremely helpful. As they had promised and in less than one week's time, they sent me the library book I had left in our room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. I will share with the staff your feedback on the great service! I am also glad we could assist in getting the book you had left behind to you promptly. We hope to see you again in the near future but until then safe travels!
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

With easy walking distance or shuttle ride to any downtown attraction, including the Performing Arts Center, Public Library, Tampa Museum of Art, Glazer Childrens' Museum, City Hall, the Courthouses and a variety of restaurants, you can't beat this location. Staff is friendly and incredibly helpful. A fabulous place to take a stroll along the Riverwalk, with a view of the University of Tampa on the opposite side of the Hillsborough River. Room was clean, comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great recommendation. I would agree that the hotel is convenient to all of downtown and glad that you enjoyed yourself in visiting some of these locations during your recent stay. I will also share with the staff your positive feedback regarding the service they provided. Again, thank you for your input and your review. Safe travels!
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights at this hotel because it was close to the convention center, but was $70 less than the closest hotel to the convention center. The pluses were a shuttle to take me to the convention center and other nearby attractions, and a front desk staff who were attentive and polite. The downsides of the hotel are the cleanliness and noise. I suppose any downtown hotel will have its share of outside noises, so luckily the fan drowned most of those out. The cleanliness, though, is another issue. I started to think something was a little odd when I went to use the shampoo and conditioner, and the bottles felt a little light. The following day when I went back to my room after lunch, the housekeeping staff let me know that she had already cleaned my room. When I reached for a glass to drink out of, I noticed that there was an odd looking bag over the glass, and then realized that the staff had placed my own ziplock bag that I used for my personal items over the glass, instead of a new bag, which was placed on the glasses the day prior. This actually grossed me out. Not that it was my bag, but it could have been anyone's personal ziplock bag. I am all for reusing, but in that case, don't place any bag over the glasses. In addition, the coffee maker was left dirty. I may sound like a whiner, but for $200 per night, I expected a little more. There is complimentary wi-fi which worked well, but no breakfast other than what they serve in their bistro.....overpriced. I don't have a comparison as far as hotels in the area, but it might be worth a look at either a higher priced hotel with a few more amenities, or somewhere a little further away for less $. This hotel sort of falls in line with the majority of "downtown" hotels I have stayed in the past five years. The "downtown" excitement is where it ends.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am glad that you had a good experience as indicated in your review but it is our goal for every guest to have an excellent experience at our hotel! I am sorry that we did not accomplish this with your recent stay. I am also sorry that you felt that our cleanliness was not as good as it could have been. All Marriott's have a standard of placing the clear wraps on the glasses in the room for sanitary reasons. This protects the glassware from someone caughing on the glassware or cleaning products that are used when cleaning close to the glassware area. Again, thank you for your comments and we will review our procedures to make any necessary changes. We hope to see you on a return trip and safe travels!
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a great downtown hotel. The staff is fantastic! It is close to the Arts Centers and within short walking distance of some great restaurants and bars. The Valet staff is excellent and the shuttle service is prompt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience during your recent stay! As you had mentioned, we are conveniently located 2 blocks from the Straz Center for Performing Arts and have many people stay with us during events at the center. We have a great restaurant within the hotel but also have other options within walking distance as you mentioned. Again, thank you for your great comments and we look forward to seeing you for another upcoming show! Safe travels.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!