“Courtyard Downtown Tampa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Fort Pierce, Florida
“Courtyard Downtown Tampa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a great downtown hotel. The staff is fantastic! It is close to the Arts Centers and within short walking distance of some great restaurants and bars. The Valet staff is excellent and the shuttle service is prompt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience during your recent stay! As you had mentioned, we are conveniently located 2 blocks from the Straz Center for Performing Arts and have many people stay with us during events at the center. We have a great restaurant within the hotel but also have other options within walking distance as you mentioned. Again, thank you for your great comments and we look forward to seeing you for another upcoming show! Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Superior, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were only in Tampa for two nights and chose a flight/hotel package plan. The hotel was located centrally downtown, and a hotel shuttle was available for very short trips to restaurants and sites the hotel promoted.There was no hotel shuttle to and from the Tampa Airport. A taxi cost $25 (excl. tip) for 1-6 customers.I found out that the hotel had airport service with a shuttle service, and depending on the person asked, the one way price varied from $10 per person(shuttle operator) to $18 total or $ 25 total (hotel staff). When I asked why the disparity in price I was told sometimes there were "specials." Other than this con, the hotel staff was very helpful.
The room was comfortable with a flat screen tv. There was a bistro which we did not use.Small bar which was rarely open. Sink was very slow to drain, the bathroom door stuck, no "Do Not Disturb" sign was available.A bit in need of repairs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear the positive comments on the staff and the hotel shuttle experience while staying at our hotel recently! I do apologize for the miscommunication on the airport shuttle. Again, the hotel does not provide shuttle service to the airport due to the 8 mile distance. As for the "con" we do have an outside third party shuttle company that offers a "discounted" price at the top of the hour but if we call for a shuttle at any other time they do charge more per passenger but still less than the $25.00 set amount charged by a regular cab. Again, I apologize if this was miscommunicated but that would be the "special rate" that you were quoted for the top of the hour shuttle run. Anyway, I hope this clarifies any questions that you had and we will make sure that we review with our staff this comment so that there is no confussion with any future guests. It is comments like this that make us better and we appreciate the oppotunity and look forward to you staying with us in the future. Safe travels!
tallahassee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Easy access right off the interstate and within walking distance of downtown. Even though the hotel is close to downtown both nights it was very quiet and I had no problems falling asleep. The beds are very comfy and cozy. Nice lobby, but I was a bit disappointed I didn't have time to eat there or spend time at the bar located there. There is a hoop to play basketball which was a nice touch. Downside, stay was a bit pricey and you have to pay 12 dollars or so for parking each night. Would recommend for all purposes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for the great comments. If your only disappointment was not being able to spend more time at the bar then I would agree with your comment title "Great Stay"! Glad to see that you were able to relax at the hotel and enjoy the basketball court. We hope to see you in the future and safe travels!
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is in dire need of an uplift. The walls, corridors, elevators and carpets are peppered with scuff marks and grime, and the outside area does not even have a small area (or benches) to wait with luggage for a taxi on this busy street. The front desk personnel were welcoming, courteous and helpful, but kept juggling my check in with chat, chat, and more chat with another guest. The room was austere, with a dysfunctional TV set, but was a reasonable size. The bathroom amenities resembled those found in inexpensive "motel 6" style accommodations. If you need to stay one night, this place is probably adequate, but I would not use it as a launch pad for a longer visit to Tampa. Counter service for breakfast was inadequate; I ordered coffee and a meal but only the meal arrived. Coffee trumps food cravings early in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Lilacroller,

Thank you for sending along your comments, we just completed a $1.5M renovation and would like to discuss your experience further. All guestrooms as well as all public spaces have just been renovated within the last 8 months. We take great pride in our hotel and want to exceed guest expectations as we have done in most of our reviews. I am perplexed by your comments regarding a facelift and would love to get your feedback. We celebrate our good reviews but wish to take action on those that are less than favorable. However, I am glad that you found our service to be friendly and again we appreciate your comments. Please contact me directly so we can chat about your visit. Safe travels!

Greg Brooks
813-229-1100
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Staff were great, especially the person who checked me in. I did have trouble with my remote, as the channels wouldn't change. I called the lobby about 9:30pm, there was someone taking a look within 10 minutes, cable was in wrong port or something, but he fixed it in just a few minutes. Valet guys were really nice and gave good directions when trying to leave hotel, lots of one way streets in downtown Tampa.

Rooms were typical Courtroom, but clean. My floor was very quiet. A little road noise outside since we're downtown, but quietened down late evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Glad you had a good visit to our hotel! Thank you for the great comments on the staff. I will pass along your comments to the team. Sorry about the TV issue. So many people are using the TV with technology devices now that they are rearraging the ports. We still should have caught that and happy to hear that it was resolved quickly. Safe travels.
Leesburg, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Meant to write sooner - had to bring my mom to Tampa for surgery for Uterine Cancer, so definitely stressful time. We bailed after one night at a place that was close to Tampa General, but after barely sleeping from noise and unsuitable arrangements for 84 year old, I was very lucky the Courtyard could accommodate us even with, unbeknownst to us, Gasparilla weekend! I cannot begin to say how supportive, lovely, uplifting, cheerful, helpful, and simply nice everyone was - managers, desk staff, bell hop/car attendants, housekeeping (held my hand and gave me a boost after surgery day at the hospital), and most of all Itsel from the food counter who took special care way above and beyond food. I'm so grateful to everyone there for helping me cope. P.S. Mom is doing great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words. I will definitely pass along not only your experience but will tell the employees you mentioned that your mom is doing well. Being so close to Tampa General Hospital we have a lot of guests visiting that location and understand that sometimes it is under "stressful circumstances". I hope to see you back at the hotel for a more enjoyable leisure visit in the future! Again, glad mom is well. Safe travels
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Gasparilla Distance Classic-related activities. I found the staff to be very friendly in general but was particularly noticeable during my stay: the city of Tampa was under a water advisory and all kinds of businesses (as well as the race organizers) were scrambling to make adjustments. The hotel staff responded immediately by making sure guests were informed and making necessary adjustments to accommodate guests' needs. They managed to do so effortlessly. Would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with our hotel. We strive to accomodate all our guests needs when staying at our hotel. This includes during unusual unforeseen events like a county-wide boil water notice. I appreciate you noticing our extra efforts to accomodate those special needs and will share your feedback with our team.. I also hope that your Gasparilla racing events went well and look forward to seeing you again when visiting Tampa. Safe travels!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!