“Great Stay!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 160 Hotels in Tampa
Houston, Texas
“Great Stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here with my sister over New Years and the Outback Bowl and it was a great experience! The staff was super friendly and helpful with questions of where to eat and transportation. There is a free shuttle that runs until 11pm and will pick you up and drop you off within 5 miles of the hotel, which was perfect for getting to different parts of town. Valet parking is $12 per 24 hours, but there's other parking in front of the building or across the street if you want to pay less (they do not have security though). The lobby was very very nice and they have a starbucks bar. No continental breakfast though. The whole public space is newly renovated and comfortable. The rooms are nice, but the bathrooms could use an update. Overall very good experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for all your positive comments on your recent stay. New Years and the Outback Bowl are an exciting time here in Tampa. I appreciate the positive feedback on the staff and our newly renovated property. Our hotel shuttle within the 2 mile radius covers all of downtown and is a great asset to our hotel. We hope to see you back in the future and safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Selkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I've stayed regularly at the Courtyard in Tampa over the past seven or eight years. For much of the time it remained unchanged. A good basic hotel, convenient for downtown Tampa, but a little tired. It's been a while since I last stayed so time for changes to be implemented...

On my arrival I noticed a lot has changed. The reception, dining, and communal areas have all been given the "Courtyard" attention and are now bright and welcoming. The breakfast menu and style caters for both those that want to dine in and for those that want to grab and go.

The fitness room is very small, but now has newer equipment and functions fine - provided there are no more than 3-4 people wanting use of it at the same time. It's much improved over the old set up from several years ago.

The rooms are pretty much as they were but there's a more comfortable couch in the room. As ever, free internet access is welcomed.

In terms of value for money, I'd say the Courtyard does a great job. The staff are friendly and supportive. I'd stay again, no problem.

Room Tip: The hotel shares a pool with the Residence Inn at the back, so ask for a high floor, poolside room i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMGregBrooks, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for noticing our renovation! returning guest have all been pleased. We are very excited about the new public space and the renovated guest rooms. It is great that you continue to use us as you travel to Tampa. We know you have many choices and are glad that you have always had a positive experience and even more so with our renovations. We hope to see you on your return trip and safe travels!
Loganville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I travel about every other week for work. I always stay at Marriott but not many Courtyards. This is one of the better ones. I had an easy time finding the location and with valet ($12) parking, I just drove to the front of the building and that was it. The staff was very considerate and helpful. Especially Delores. Room was a good size and very clean. Love they are using Paul Mitchell products!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I will let Delores and the team know that you had a great experience. We look forward to your return. Thank you and safe travels!
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Although I live right here in Tampa, I was participating in an event at the Performing Arts Center nearby. I thought that rather than drive across town afterwards, I would simply get a good nights' sleep by staying nearby. I had asked to check in a bit early. The hotel had very low vacancy on this night, so this was not a problem. The good news stops there. The room was adequate. I asked for a small fridge, and one was brought up fairly quickly. It was old and in poor shape, and had to be unplugged at night due to loud noises- and it took forever to cool down. I ended up throwing out the leftovers.
Here was the worst of it: I am disabled, and depend on a good nights' sleep to be able to get through the next day. I always emphasize this when making my reservation and asking for a "quiet room". Imagine my surprise when I went up to my room and found it was next to the housekeeping room and across from the vending machines. I managed to get the cart with my luggage back downstairs and reminded them of my request (which I had reiterated when checking in). The woman at the desk acted like I was causing her a lot of trouble, and reminded me that they had allowed me to check in early. I reminded her of my health condition. I went back upstairs to a different room that she assured me would be quiet - it was above a six lane road!! The traffic got me up at 6 a.m., and I had such a hard time getting through the rest of the day. I could barely move. When checking out, I brought this all to the attention of the manager, Tracy Norman. She acted very patronizing and even very cheerful as I told her what a hard time I had had there. This seemed like a very strange and inappropriate reaction. It's as if she thought I was a "trouble maker" for bringing this to her attention. As a business owner, I have done a lot of travelling and stayed at a lot of hotels. I'll just say that there is no such thing as "Customer Service" at this particular hotel, and apparently, no such thing as a quiet room. I had thought that I might stay a second night, but after that experience, I checked out and drove home to get a nap before driving all the way back downtown for the performance. This stay was a big nightmare. Next time- I'll go back to the Hampton Inn!

Room Tip: No tips on finding a quiet room at this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. While reviews like this are very rare we use them as tools to improve our levels of service! As you can see from our other reviews or hotel and service has received outstanding reviews! I do apologize and wish you safe travels in the future!
ST LOUIS, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We chose to stay in downtown Tampa to be close to the Port for our cruise. The Courtyard offers free transport to the cruise terminal_a real plus for us. Airport to Hotel by taxi_$25. We had a delightful one night stay here. The room must have been one recently renovated. Everything was excellent as far as the room goes_comfortable bedding, very clean, good service, no issues. Free internet. For my wife and I, it was delightful because the downtown and river walk were all walking accessible from the hotel. We enjoyed a walking tour of Tampa, and short walks for adult beverages by the waterway, dinner and breakfast. Thanks Courtyard for helping make our first visit to Tampa delightful.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the positive comments about your stay at our hotel. Our staff is very proud of our hotel and it is comments like this that motivates us to offer our guest a great experience. I am so glad you took advantage of our location to experience some of the offerings and destinations in downtown Tampa. Safe travels and we hope to see you back in the near future.
Glastonbury, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We chose this hotel b/c it was convenient to where we needed to be- a Sat. night wedding at the Art Museum of Tampa, 1 1/2 blocks away.

We were also very pleased with the Marriott on-line booking and the hotel check-in process. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Parking was $12.00 per day for the valet parking. I hate paying a hotel for parking when I am a guest, but it was definitely less expensive than city parking. If you wanted to park your own car at the hotel lot 2 blocks away, it was the same $12 per day. So, we used the valet- a 'no brainer'.

There were several room set-up options. We chose the king while others from our family chose the 2 queens. I liked that the sink was separate from the toilet/shower. And there was sufficient room on the sink/counter for toiletries.

We wanted to sunbathe by their outdoor pool but found it's almost completely in the shade as it's in between taller buildings. So, if you want to get a little Florida suntan, the pool is not the place.

They have a free shuttle which covers a 2 mile area. The shuttle was easy & convenient and allowed us to not have to worry about driving in Tampa. We arrived on Friday afternoon and used the shuttle to get to the rehearsal dinner near the River Walk. However, at 6:00 PM on Saturday evening, the night of the wedding, we had a problem getting the shuttle as it was booked. And we needed one for my mom (who is 87 and was having a problem with her hip) and my sister-in-law who had to walk with a boot b/c she sprained her ankle. When it turned out that the shuttle would not have been available for us until after the wedding started (6:30 PM), Dolores (who was staffing the desk) drove them over to the Museum in her own private vehicle. Talk about going over & above! The rest of our group walked the 1 1/2 blocks to the museum- women in evening dresses & heels & men in tuxes. But, again, parking would still have been an issue had we taken our own car.

The check out process was also quick & uncomplicated. We were allowed to check out on Sunday morning and take the shuttle to the family brunch near the River Walk and still leave our car in the valet lot. However, one major problem was that all the shuttles were booked Sunday morning b/c they give preference to those people heading for the dock for their cruises. Nothing was available for us unless we booked it for 9:30 AM or after 12:30 PM. So if there is a cruise leaving that morning, plan accordingly.

We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive comments on the hotel. I am glad to see that we met and exceeded your expectations in so many areas during your stay. Our job is to make your travels as hassle free as possible. I look forward to sharing your experience with our team. Thank and safe travels!
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

An average stay at a Courtyard. Good location and the staff (for the most part) were friendly and accommodating. They gave good recommendations. The hotel was clean and well kept, albeit dated. The night valet person was not interested in providing any level of service. They sat behind the kiosk and you had to go to them - oh well, the only bad thing I can say.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMGregBrooks, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
John,

Thank you for the nice comments on our location and staff! Sorry to hear that you did not like the renovated contemporary decor. The hotel just completed a renovation of all guestrooms, public space, lobby, lounge and restaurant and most like the new look! Again thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and we hope to see you again when you are back in Tampa.