“Nice hotel, friendly staff...just one thing though...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Miami, Florida
“Nice hotel, friendly staff...just one thing though...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Nice hotel, I enjoyed the location, it's a short 3-5 minutes walk to the Tampa River Walk and museum, and it's centrally located in the city, A good starting point to go anywhere you want. the hotel was nice and clean. My room was large and spacious with a very comfortable bed, it's always was a pleasure going to sleep in large comfortable and beautiful bed. Flat screen TV, solid wood office desk. I stayed four nights at the Marriot. The breakfast buffet was nice. There is a lovely little swimming pool, and two jacuzzis outside. As usual the gym was a small room, more befitting of a home gym with just the basics, the norm in the hotel industry it seems. Free wifi at a good speed in your room of the main area.
The drawbacks were that the hotel looked a bit understaffed. Friendly service but not too many employees. Almost like a skeleton staff. For instance Room service in the morning takes a very long time for the cleaners to move from room to room. The bar in the main area was closing pretty early too. I would come back in the hotel at around 21:00 -22:00 and it would be closed. The dining area does not offer lunch nor dinner. There is a coffee table book in the main area with a list of the best restaurants in Tampa. If you order a room service meal at night for instance, You have to call a restaurant that works with the hotel situated across the street. They then deliver to your room. their a la carte menus are in every room. It felt strange to order from a restaurant across the road and have your meal come from across the road. I pictured in my mind a guy running from across the street with my food at night, and opted to go out and eat out.
But I did enjoy my stay at the Marriot, it was a quiet and relaxing hotel, there is a laundry room with a washing machine and a dryer. so if you are going to stay for 4 days or more like me, it's convenient to be able to do some laundry on your last day at a very cheap price. There's an iron and board in the rooms.
One thing they didn't have though is a safe. The room was very spacious but no safe. As a result I opted to move around with my most important valuables on me, when going out at night I would just lock them in my luggage. I didn't lose anything. Everything was accounted for when I left. It’s a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed one night at the Courtyard by Marriott, and then five nights at the Residence Inn located on the same block. The Residence Inn was by far the better deal. The rooms at the Courtyard were old; there was a small restaurant that served breakfast but I didn't eat there (looked too depressing) and the parking was valet only. In contrast, the breakfast at the Residence Inn was pretty solid, self-parking available, and the rooms were in much better shape. It was an ok hotel but I don't know why one would choose to stay there for more than one night when the Residence Inn is available right behind it (I think prices were fairly comparable, as well).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We got great and quick service from the front deak when we needed it. Also from maintenance and housekeeping. Pool had debris but otherwise fine. Husband is platinum elite but we were not offered breakfast vouchers as there is no free bfast. Not sure but we think wr shouldve been given vouchers for the 8.95 buffet. Parking is $12 a day but valets are friendly and quick. Easy walk to restaurants. A good hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2011
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed here in June 2011 for work. Good location, although I'm not crazy about having to use Valet parking at twelve bucks a night. Lots of restaurants within a couple of blocks (if you can stand walking in the heat and humidity). They have a free shuttle that runs within a 2 mile radius of the hotel.

Pros: Nice room, very quiet, nice flat screen TV.

Cons: Absolutely horrible internet connection, both wired and wireless. Almost unusable in the evenings. I actually broke out my 3G USB modem to download some files from the company server, because that was faster than the supposed "High-Speed Internet" in the room.

A nice hotel if you're on vacation or don't need internet access for much. A poor choice for business travelers who need to be online in the evening.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here with several other couples for a weekend get away. The hotel is clean, easy to find - had no issues whatsoever. This is a basic Courtyard Marriott. The location is right across from performing arts center. Down Town is a little questionable so it's not really somewhere you want to be walking around. Take a cab to your location - there isn't much as far as clubs or bars within walking distance. That end of downtown is pretty dead. We went to eat at Bern's and their shuttle didn't go that far but not drinking and driving was more than worth the $20 cab ride each way for a delicious safe meal. Check in and out were easy, staff friendly. No fridge in room which really sucked but I got a great rate so can't complain.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Goose Creek, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel for the 3rd year in a row while running in the Gasparilla Distance Classic. The location is great,walking distance to the Convention Center for the Expo,and also to the start /finish areas of the runs.
The staff is fantastic,treated me like an old friend,and the women who checked me in was the same one for all 3 years,and she is a native of Brooklyn NY like me, so we talk about the old home,lol.
The room was large,comfortable,clean and very quiet,the bed was very comfortable.

Free internet and a great free coffee area was available.
I will be back again in 2012.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I have to start off with the positives. Great location, central to everything. The rooms were dated, but extremely clean and spacious. The staff was very polite. Now here is the rub. I live in Tampa and was staying there because it was close to an event I had to attend. So imagine my surprise as I am woken from a dead sleep (my room 419 faced Cass street, don't let them do this to you) at about 12am with the loud blast of a locomotive horn. It was so load my room shook a bit. Then I found out that downtown Tampa has CSX tracks, that allow freight trains to cut right down the middle of downtown. WOW! I never knew that, it scared me to death. So Thats my complaint, it was just like the My Cousin Vinny movie, I couldn't sleep because of the train. And it came by every night at different times too, so there was no getting used to it. At almost 200 bucks a night, yeah next time I'll stay home or near the airport, at least the flights stop landing at 11pm. BTW dont pay 12 bucks for valet, park on the street.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!