“Picking nits” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Coconut Creek, Florida
“Picking nits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I was immediately impressed at check-in. The front desk staff was very pleasant and accommodating. He was able to place us in a room despite us being an hour early for check-in.

Things went a little downhill from there. First, the Jacuzzi was out of order due to a chemical imbalance. Next, the elevators were out of order because the building had been struck by lightening the previous day. These are both minor issues and I certainly don't expect them to be able to prevent lightening. However, out of order signs remained on the elevators for the duration of our two night stay. It turns out, that one of the two elevators actually was working and only the one with the signs on the doors was out. I didn't know that until I happened to see someone getting off the elevator as I was headed to the lobby to check-out. It would have been nice to have somehow been informed that the elevators were working. A note left on the bed or a message on the phone--something. I don't know if the Jacuzzi was ever returned to working order. If I'd been interested in using it, I suppose I could have found out easily enough. Again, though, some sort of message about it would have been nice.

I am picking nits. I could have asked any of the staff about either of these issues at any time, but chose not to. I'm just saying service could be at taken to a higher level if this hotel wanted to really set itself apart from the competition.

Once we got the room, it seemed a little warm, so we turned down the A/C, I'm usually very comfortable at 76 and the A/C was set around 74. I had to turn it down to 70 to get comfortable. Again, a very minor issue. The A/C was quiet and easily cooled the room once turned down.

The room was spacious and very clean. The beds were comfortable enough. Plenty of electrical outlets. Other than that, the room was pretty standard, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc..

Noise was nonexistent! I could hear really heavy rain and maybe some traffic, but that was it. I heard zero noise from either the hallway or adjoining rooms.

WiFi is outstanding! Probably the best I've ever experienced in any hotel anywhere.

The complimentary breakfast is standard. No complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa / USF, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you JiCit for your kind and thorough review of your stay with us. I am very sorry that your stay happened to fall right after the lightning strike and appreciate your understanding of the situation. Also thank you for pointing out the areas that we could have done better to turn your stay from a 4 to a 5. It is through comments like yours that we are able to grow as hotel and ensure great stays for our future guests. Thank you and we hope to see again next time you are in Tampa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Richmond Hill, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed for 3 days 2 nights latter part of June. Great location, near USF - within walking distance - our grandson walked over twice!!! We requested the 1st floor, no problem, the room itself had the one king size bed (perfect). TV, fridge, coffee for a.m. and the Jacuzzi was just around the corner from our door. Sweet! They have a laundry room on the 3d floor, very nice.
If you need a place to stay - stay here, well worth the extra $10 we spent per night.

Room Tip: We were quite satisfied with our room on the ground floor,
Green Features: to be honest we didn't think about environmentally friendly practices - although there were signs up about them.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Jacquelyn S for the high praise. I am thrilled that our hotels location worked out for you and your family. We work very hard to ensure that our guests needs are met and it great to read that we exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon.
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Our trip to Tampa was a last minute thing. We decided on a Monday to drive there on Tuesday and stay a couple days. I found this hotel using Tripadvisor (as i always do), and i was not disappointed.
From the moment i made the reservations on the phone, the customer service was excellent. When we arrived, we were greeted by Laura, who was as courteous and professional as they come. She had us registered in what seemed like no time at all. When she handed us our room keys, she also handed us a bag containing a bottle of water, a bag of pretzels and a bag of M&M's, which was a pleasant surprise.
As we walked to the elevator, and then to our room, I noticed how clean the common areas were. The room itself was clean as well. Very nicely appointed with a nice view looking toward Busch Gardens. The beds were nicely made (and comfortable) and the bathroom was clean with plenty of towels.
After dinner, we headed to the pool, and then the whirlpool, both which we found to be clean and a nice temperature. When we left the whirlpool area, I noticed the door did not lock behind us, which it is supposed to do. I went to the front desk and let the girl know, and she thanked me for letting her know . (When we checked the next morning, it was locked) .
Breakfast the next day was superb. They had a choice of everything from eggs and biscuits and gravy and waffles and muffins and toast and cereal, juice and coffee. It was kept well filled and people seemed to be enjoying it. The woman who was working the area was friendly and kept everything well filled.
In conclusion, everyone we dealt with there had a smile and was professional. They appeared to be enjoying their job and you can tell they take pride in their work. So if you want a clean, comfortable hotel at a reasonable price, this is the place for you. I have already told several people about this hotel, and i will be looking for a Wyndham hotel next time I go away.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
tampa094, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa / USF, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello mjf56,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish. We work very hard here to make sure that our hotel is clean and comfortable for all of our guests. I am also ecstatic to read that the staff treated you with such kindness. Laura and our breakfast attendants are some of the nicest and hard working people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I am honored to work with them as well as the rest of our smiling staff.

Also thank you for pointing out the issue with the spa door. We do our best to ensure that these things do not happen and appreciate it very much when a guest lets us know that something was missed, so we can fix it.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time here and hope to see you again real soon.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed for a weekend in first week of April, 2014. I think it is a very good location for Tampa! Clean, friendly, quiet! In my opinion, it is the best hotel in Tampa for it's value.
Highly recommending.

Room Tip: With view to pool. Other side facing busy road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
tampa094, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tampa / USF, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. The staff will be thrilled to read that you had such a great experience with us. We do our best every day and it is great to know that our hard work is paying off. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you are in Tampa.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Tampa / USF? Share your experiences!