“Good for business travelers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #52 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Falls Church, VA
“Good for business travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Stayed here on business with colleagues for two nights. This hotel is business-friendly, and has many positives. I stayed on the top floor, and when I opened the blinds, was happily surprised that it was floor-to-ceiling windows. For those afraid of heights, this would not be a good view. For me - I loved it! I could see the bay(?) or ocean(?) on the distance, as well as the road, shopping mall across the street, and highway.

Positives: I had a soft king size bed, with LCD TV with hook ups for your PC, and what looks like an ipod charger. Free wireless. A safe - which was really nice as most hotels don't offer this. I didn't use the mini bar/fridge or coffeemaker. No robe but there was a scale which I could weigh myself (helped in that I knew I needed to cut down on my eating!) Towels are large and soft; free q-tips and cotton to take off my eye makeup. Free self-parking. Business center had about 5 workstations for travelers to print boarding passes.

Negatives: The cafe next to the bar is expensive and the staff rude/unfriendly. I bought a bottle of iced tea for $4.00 and the next day when I came back, I put the same brand of bottled ice tea and was charged $5.00. I disputed this and the woman said that was the price it came up and basically called me a liar. I should have kept my receipt to show her from the day before!! She was so rude that I almost went to the manager to complain about her. Which I still will by sending an e-mail to the hotel manager.

Other than the negative experience at the cafe, everything else was acceptable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

First time staying in Tampa Florida so we had to stay here at the Intercontinental Hotel, We was told how good this hotel is we just had to try it for ourselves, Their is free self parking at the hotel plus valet parking if your lazy and park your car your self. We used the restaurant for breakfast and they do a fantastic selection of food. I am a Intercontinental Royal Ambassador on Priority Club so we was upgraded to a king club suite on the 6Th floor with water views, the rooms are what you would expect from a new hotel. if you do not want to eat at the hotel there is a shopping mall across the road 2 min walk and there is a large food court with great selection of international foods to choose from. the beaches of Clearwater and St Pete's on the Gulf of Mexico are only a short drive away, and you have all the sights of downtown Tampa is only minutes away by car or cab as well for a great night out.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Hotel Intercontinental was disappointing. I attended a two and a half day professional conference over a weekend in January. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. The hotel is supposed to be non-smoking but you could smell the stale cigarette fumes coming up from the carpet...it was very humid! I think there was some sort of mold in the hotel, also. Both my colleague and I had difficulty at night--coughing, runny nose, sneezing. I became ill after going home and had a sinus infection!

The hotel is built in between two tall office towers. In the afternoon, when you go to your room, you can see right into people's offices because of the floor-to-ceiling windows (and I am sure they get an eyeful of the hotel guests!!). There is no view although Tampa Bay is nearby. There are no affordable restaurants in walking distance unless you want to eat at the nearby mall food court!! The closes restaurants all had main dish entree prices of $20-25 and up. I could afford it for one night, but not all three. In addition, I was buying breakfast and lunch every day. The hotel restaurant was also very expensive. I had breakfast at McDonalds and Paradise Bakery. Not a very good location.

There was a woman at the hotel main desk who was obviously not happy that she had to be at work. My colleague and I asked her to adjust the identifying information on my colleagues' portion of the bill for her tax purposes and she sighed and moaned that it would take her a while. Tough--that's your job! There was not Hotel Concierge either and the main desk staff were USELESS in helping you find your way around. No maps of the area. We paid $600 for the weekend at this hotel!! Never again!!

The pool, workout room and business centers were obvious after thoughts.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hampstead, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I ended up booking the Intercontinental through Hotwire for an excellent price - about $80/night for a 4 star. Other sites were listing the hotel at $150+/night. I was able to identify the hotel through betterbidding.com and tripadvisor had pretty good reviews so I went ahead with it. .

Based on the reviews I was little concerned about the elevator noise that others mentions but this seems to be grossly over stated. Granted, I was in a room that was far from the elevator but even as I got close to the elevator when I walked toward it didn't seem that loud. At least not any more so than another elevator in other hotels I've been in.

The hotel itself is located at a busy intersection of Kennedy Blvd and Westshore Blvd. There is a large mall across the street with several restaurants as well as a Bank of America and Walgreens. Many other restaurants are a short walk or drive away. Its about a 20 min drive to St. Petersburg or downtown Tampa so it is very centrally located for sightseeing as long as you have a car to drive around in.

The hotel design is very contemporary. The hotel is in the middle of two large office buildings so some rooms look out into the office atrium area. The atrium is well designed with a fountain and modern ambience. There is a large bar area with plenty of flat screens and Shula's restaurant. 24 hour room service is available but of course the cost is a little high. We chose to eat outside the hotel every night including at Maggiano's across the street which was good for chain Italian. Parking is self or valet. Valet is $18/day and self is free at the parking garage in the back of the hotel. There is a heated pool on the roof which provided nice views of the bay. Seemed like a good place to watch the sunset.

The rooms were what you would expect of a 4 star business hotel. We had a incredibly soft king size bed with 6 or so pillows. There was a 32in LCD TV with hook ups for your PC or another device to stream to the TV. The room features free high speed internet (wifi but it looked like you would hook up through an ethernet cable in the desk), sufficient outlets for charging all your devices and a mini bar area with fridge and coffeemaker. The coffeemaker is one of those pod devices that makes 1 cup at a time. The minibar is fully stocked with sodas, beer, liquor and snacks. This is probably quite ok for the business traveler with an expense account but for a leisure traveler that is visiting restaurants around the area but has no room to put any leftovers its a tad irritating. Plus its all on sensors so you can't even move anything around to make room. I went to the Chevron next door and picked up a 6 pack and put them on ice as needed.

The bathroom is nicely sized and accommodated. The towels are large and soft. The hotel even gives you some amenities that are not usually found like q-tips. Water pressure was sufficient. Housekeeping was seemless and prompt. Only minor complaint was that the floor in the bathroom was some type of tile that was always cold.

Overall I would recommend this hotel especially if you can grab it for less than the $150/night. The location is ideal if you want to be close to the airport or you have a car and will be exploring all over the Tampa/St. Pete's area. The prices for things inside the hotel are set for business travelers that will be expensing out their bill but there are enough options close by to neutralize this. Service was good and the rooms and amenities make it a good value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Every aspect of this hotel, was A+ The room was the best part of it all,it was a true 4 star hotel. The pool we didn't check out, the parking wasn't that bad, check in and out was flawless and easy. They did charge me for a few things on the mini bar that i picked up and put back in... But they removed them as soon as i asked about it, without a question. Just if it was consumed or not.

Paid $51 for a saturday night,. YOU CAN'T BEAT 4 Stars for $51... And besides, i was priceline i have heard horror stories at other hotels since they know how cheap you got it. Well, not here.Was treated fine and had no problem getting requested bed size!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

We ended up at the InterContinental because our flight out of Tampa was overbooked. We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves at the InterContinental, where they could not have been more receptive. The shuttle to and from the airport was easy, the check-in fast and efficient, and the ride up to our room on the outside glass elevator fun. The business center had three computers and a printer, and except for between 5-7, we had easy access. It's nice to be able to check-in on your airplane from the convenience of your hotel. Anyway, while you can eat in the restaurant, we chose to got outside. We found the large mall across the way, where we ate at the food court. On the opposite side of the hotel we found several places to eat, plus a Walgreens. Had it not been so cold that night, we would have wandered further afield. The hotel has a great location. Back to the room.....nice, clean, with a floor to ceiling window which looked out into the interior of a large business complex. Our bed was large and comfortable, the bathroom fine, though not luxurious. While this hotel was not the Bellagio, it was excellent, and we had a nice, relaxing stay before heading out the next day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The hotel staff service was friendly & helpful. I held meetings at the hotel and the staff was very attentive. I also ordered from room service and it was great. They have a free business center in the lobby.

All around wonderful stay! I would stay here again when I am in town on business again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!