“Expected more. Definitely better suited for business travelers.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“Expected more. Definitely better suited for business travelers.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I stayed for one night and paid $169 for an executive room, which included free valet parking and free wireless internet. The room was very clean and nicely done. The bed was comfortable, but nothing to rave about. The hotel pays attention to detail and the service there is great. My room window had a "view" of the attached office building windows next door. Their windows were tinted so I couldn't see them, but I had a fish in a fishbowl kind of feeling with the curtains open. The hotel was very busy so each time I wanted to leave I had to call the valet 10 minutes ahead of time to get my vehicle. These were all minor details to me since I was only going to be there one night. My main complaints were the hallway and plumbing (?) noise and the A/C not working well. When I arrived and walked in the room for the first time, around 5:00pm, it was kind of hot and felt stuffy and damp. I checked the thermostat and it was set at 65 degrees. I felt some cool air coming out of the vents, so I assumed that maybe the thermostat was just set there and the room needed time to cool off. I went to dinner and out for a while. When I got back to my room around midnight, it was a little cooler but not much improved. By then I was too tired to do anything about it, so I slept in a stuffy warm room. I didn't sleep great and around 6:00am I started hearing plumbing noises - water running and a squeaking noise in the walls above me (I assume that was the plumbing). I also heard doors slamming in the hallway now and then as people left. The plumbing/squeaking noise went on forever and was driving me crazy. Luckily the clock radio by the bed had a sound soother on it, so I set it on a rain sound and cranked up the volume. I was looking for a really comfortable, cool room and a good night's sleep and I got neither. Probably just bad luck, since most people seem very happy with their experience at this hotel. Overall though, I would recommend the hotel and the location for business travelers, but not for leisure travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Burlington, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We recently completed a 6 night, 5 day stay at the Intercontinental and were overall pleased with our choice for what we paid. We booked a package deal through Hotwire at a bargain price that included our hotel accomodations at the Intercontinental. We were looking for a modern hotel that offered convenient access to shopping, beaches and St. Petersburg (to see the Red Sox vs Rays). The hotel met these expectations!

Location
The hotel is located just off of Westshore Blvd which has a mall with a movie theatre just across the street. This was convenient for rainy days. There are also several great restaurants in 5 minute (driving) radius and several within walking distance. Both St. Pete and Clearwater Beach were about a 25 minute drives across the nearby causeways. Downtown Tampa/Ybor was about 15-20 minutes away. The hotel was a great central home base for the Tampa area's attractions.

Room
Our room seemed to have been recently renovated and offered modern comforts like HDTV, and iPOD docking station, marble vanity in the bath, etc. The bed was very comfortable (if you like soft beds) but was so high up you almost needed a step stool to get into it. The room also offered a lounge chair with an ottoman that was a comfortable reading spot. There was ample storage including a large closet and an oversized armoire/dresser. The armoire opened up to reveal a laptop sized safe and a fully stocked mini fridge. I also appreciated the many places to plug in chargers for the numerous devices we all now carry. The one drawback I saw about the room was that the furniture was clearly oversized for the room which made the room seem crowded at times. The large desk did not fit well its location and protruded from the wall.

I liked the layout of the bathroom (with the exception of the light switch being inside the bathroom rather than outside). There was ample space for your toiletries and a full bath tub.

We did not hear much noise despite our floor being fully occupied. The only noise came from the thin doors from inconsiderate guests talking loudly as they made their way to their rooms.

We had a room that looked out on the parking garage, interior corridor of the office park and directly at someone's office. In order to have privacy. we had to keep our curtains closed. The area was already dark and with the darkening curtains closed, we found it hard to tell what time of the day it was (which helped with sleeping in).

The check in process was quick and efficient. Service personnell were available if you needed them but did not go out of their way to be overly friendly. I likened it to a business hotel feel. There was a desk for a concierge, but I never saw it actually staffed. My only "complaint" was housekeeping. On more than one occassion we were given only one towel (despite there clearly being 2 people staying in the room). When we would search for a housekeeper, we could not find her, so we just took towels off of her cart. I also saw trash in the hallways and waiting area by the elevators left by other hotel guests. These items often stayed in the place for over a 24 hour period. Toiletries were refreshed every day and the room was kept very clean.

Amenities
Room service prices seemed fairly reasonable (considering the food came from Shula's). However, the 21% service fee seemed exorbitant. We loved the free in room wireless that was very reliable and offered good speeds. The hotel lounge area looked inviting with comfortable chairs and flat screen tv's. We did check out the pool area and were disappointed with the size of the pool and lack of seating space. The area can accomodate 10 people maximum and most of the people up there were smoking (despite this being a non-smoking hotel). It did offer a nice view of the bay. Parking was always available (we chose the self-park option) and free. The garage tended to be more full on the weekdays when the office tenants were working and business functions were taking place at the hotel.

Overall
The general feel of the hotel is that it is a business hotel. There were not many children staying at the hotel- it did not seem very kid friendly. When returning from a beach day, I felt somewhat out of place walking through the main lobby in beach gear amongst full business suits. It seems like the hotel tolerates leisure travelers so they can fill their rooms, but does not reach out to this audience. I found it interesting that most of the leisure travelers seemed to all be placed on the lower levels of the hotel (floors 3 & 4).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We booked this hotel on Priceline. $45.00 plus tax for a one night stay. We didn't really expect much because of the rate we paid. Boy, were we surprised. Check in was speedy. We asked if we could have a king room and they gave it , no problem. You read that some hotel staff put their nose up on Priceline guests. We have never had a problem.
I read some reviews that had a problem with noise. We did not.
Our room was very clean and attractive. The bed was super comfortable.
We were in Tampa for a Red Sox/Rays game. The Sox won!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Extremely well-located hotel in the Westshore district of Tampa. The hotel is built into an office complex and most of the rooms have interior windows facing into the atrium of the office building. A few rooms have outside-facing windows, which is a mixed blessing as the outside-facing rooms can get quite hot during the daytime (even with A/C) due to the intense Florida sun.

The guest rooms have recently been renovated to a very high standard. Plasma screens, nice linens, new carpet, bathroom fixtures, etc. The lobby has also recently been renovated and includes a coffee bar, a lobby bar, and Don Shula's steakhouse. The hotel lobby opens into the atrium of the office building, which gives it a very spacious feel.

The hotel is located across the street from the Westshore Mall, which has several nice restaurants should you not wish to eat in the hotel. There is also a Starbucks and Panera across the street should you crave a specific type of coffee, though I found the hotel's coffee bar to be quite good.

The pool area is a bit small and awkward, as it's located on top of a parking garage. Nonetheless, it gets the job done if you're in need of a pool and/or some time in the sun.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel for leisure or business travel in the Tampa/Westshore area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I got the room for $45 on priceline, and I totally agree with the 4 star rating. As far as noise, my room was fine, though every once in a while, I heard what sounded like something falling on the floor of the room above me. I think it may have been the door slamming. You can hear people in the hall talking and it's very annoying. I believe that many hotels nowadays have a space under the door to slip your invoice, or the doors are just cheap, but, luckily it wasn't that busy.
The bathroom was awesome. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. There was free parking. The hotel was in a great location for getting to both nearby malls, and even downtown Tampa and SoHo.
The bar was nice and even served food from Shula's steakhouse next door.
The worst thing about the hotel is the horrible music playing on the overhead in the lobby/bar area. It sounded like Muzak out of the 70's, with easy listening versions of easy listening songs! With satellite and cable music available, they really need to change the station!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Newtown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was a tough place to rate. I thought about giving it a 3, but I'm giving it 4 out of 5 mainly because it only cost me $44 on Priceline. I would have definitely given it a 5 if not for the elevator noise, I'll explain in a minute. We needed the room for a flight out of TPA the following afternoon. The girl who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful, my only encounter with the staff. This hotel is in a good location for the airport and the two malls in the area. We always enjoy the International Plaza and their restaurants.

The room itself was nice and clean. It featured a big, comfortable king bed. We found the size of the room plenty adequate for one night. I did not like having a refrigerator that could only accommodate the mini-bar. No room for personal items.

Some good features about the hotel included the following:
-Free Internet
-Free Parking (we had a rental car)
-Airport Shuttle
-Very efficient fitness center with newer EFX machines and treadmills. All cardio equipment included individual TV monitors. Used this facility in the morning.
-HD TV's with HD channels
-Good java at the coffee shop in the lobby
-Nice lounge area in the lobby with lots of big TV screens to watch the game

The pool area did nothing for us. For a Florida pool setting, it was totally unappealing. We had no desire to hang out there on the 9th floor overlooking the parking garage. However, it’s fine for kids to hang out and have some fun.

Now to the noise. Our room was pretty close to the elevators. I hadn't really noticed until my wife said, "what is that humming noise". It was constant in the evening hours. After going on the internet and reading the other reviews, I now know what that annoying noise is. The elevators make a buzzing noise when they are in motion. I can honestly say it did not bother my sleeping, as the elevators are not very active in the middle of the night. Someone who is a light sleeper might have issues. Once I heard them start in the morning, I was up for good around 8:00 (no biggie as we had to be up anyway). The AC unit is rather quiet and doesn’t really drown out the sound.

My advice is to get a room far away from the elevators. We asked another couple about it in the morning and they didn't hear it. Also, the doors are thin. We could hear everything in the hallway. It was like the door was open at times. We did not hear anything through the walls, although I don't even know if the rooms next to us were occupied.

I hope they do something in the future about the elevators. If we were staying more than one night, I would have asked to be moved down the hall. I was fortunate to get a decent night’s sleep. Overall, all the positives outweighed the one big negative. Get me away from the elevator and I'll stay here again.

ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

You can hear EVERYTHING--in the hallway and the rooms adjacent as well as the elevators.

The rooftop (small!) pool is a joke; there is barely any room and all the handful of spots are taken early in the day.

The decor in the lobby is nice and the rooms are clean but, overall, I would not stay here again. I could barely sleep with all the noisy interruptions and my primary purpose to relax and swim and nap could not be achieved.

We left early.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!