“10/10 for effort, 8/10 for execution.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stamford, Connecticut
“10/10 for effort, 8/10 for execution.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great valet, check in experience and room. An over-cooked steak and a vanishing in-room breakfast order were low lights, but Crystal and her team went over and above to compensate. I am a platinum elite IHG card holder.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I spent a night at the Intercontinental while on a business trip. The hotel is large and conveniently located near the airport and a shopping plaza. I spent most of my evening in the hotel & found the room to be quite spacious. The bed was very comfortable & the room clean. I had no problems sleeping (my view faced in towards offices and meeting rooms). Due to my late arrival & early departure I didn't interact with the hotel staff. The people behind the front desk were nice & my check in/check out was effortless. I didn't explore the area very much, but if you need a place to stay near the airport this would be it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was a 1 night local stay for us.The girl who checked us in was great.It was my husbands birthday weekend so I did ask for the Sunday buffet. She did not have anyone available at the moment so I made her picky swear.My husband informed it was never going to happen.IT DID so for that kudos for going above and beyond. The Sunday buffet is not worth $21 .Even though its towards Schulas I would hesitate to say its actually them.I would up the breakfast or take it away and make it menu ordering.The eggs were cold so because the girl who seated us did her job extremely well she told us we could order omelettes so thats what we did.Yes it was free but I would have been extremely annoyed if I had paid $42 for that particular buffet.Our server was attentive so no issues.We did stop at the bar Sat evening and our bartender was great.He saw that I was not drinking what he had made and insisted I get another.I told him no it was ok but as the minutes were ticking and I wasn't drinking he asked again.I insisted he try it as it was a Margarita with a bitter taste.He did and than told us they had changed the lime juice so he made it better. Another kudos .The room itself was just a room.Nothing special.The headboard is what I would call pleather beige weave.If they haven't updated in a while they should.The sheet on the bed was not tucked in and the bathroom door showed neglect.Just general maintenance.We were on the 10th floor and the elevator area smelled like puke which we reported.For these reasons I would not call it a 4 star.The location fit our needs but its a hotel that does most likely cater to the business traveler mostly because of its location.

• Stayed August 2014
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Upon arrival, the Intercontinental Tampa has impressive surroundings, it's a beautiful hotel. The front desk staff is professional and service oriented. However, all experiences we had with the hotel lounge and restaurant was sub par.
We were in Tampa with another couple for an event and thought it would be a good idea to have a drink at the hotel lounge.
Service there was extremely slow, which frustrated us tremendously.
The next day, we all went to the hotel's restaurant for breakfast. We waited at the host stand without any acknowledgement for 10 minutes. Once we were seated, it took another 10 minutes to be greeted by wait staff. The entire dining experience was frustrating. The breakfast order was not put in correctly which extended our wait time. In addition, we were repeatedly asked about our order. When we requested items such as milk for coffee, our requests were never granted. I had to use the cereal milk at the buffet for my coffee. I also passed several wait staff along the way and was never greeted or assisted. Our whole party had a horrible breakfast experience.
Other than food and beverage, our room was very nice, as we had a corner business suite. The room was perfect, had great views of the city and a cozy nook for the bedroom.

If you are visiting Tampa, I do recommend this hotel for lodging, but not for dining.

Room Tip: Corner business suites are spacious and make your stay extra special.
Green Features: I was not aware of their environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I visited this hotel with my family of 2 adults and 2 older teens. Initially, we were very impressed by the exquisite lobby area. It was impeccably decorated and offered tons of comfortable seating, in addition to a classy bar and on site steakhouse. We noticed right away that the hotel seemed to be internally connected to an office building with floors of cubicles and busy worker bees. At first the view of the employees was interesting, watching from the hotel's glass elevators. However, after a short while we realized that this hotel was undoubtedly catered to businessmen and women. The first sign was that there were absolutely no vending machines on any floor. Ok, drinks and large night snacks were out of the question. The refrigerator in the room was a fully stocked and automated mini-fridge with no room to store your personal items. An empty mini-fridge could be requested at a charge (daily, I believe) and the same for a microwave. The swimming pool and accompanying area was microscopic and could've passed for an oversized jacuzzi had there been any jets. Interesting fact, the pool area was inhabited by huge, black "water bugs" (as the maintenance man called them). These creatures looked like a combination of a large cockroach and small lobster. No exaggeration, they were at least 4 or 5 inches long and were actively crawling, flying and SWIMMING in the pool. One of them attempted to crawl up my brother's side and another bit a woman on the behind. Needless, to say everyone evacuted the water at that point. When the maintenance man came to see what the fuss was, he said this was "normal for Tampa" and simply picked up the only visible critter and threw it over the side of the building. Extremely helpful since it was still alive and can fly. On a more positive note, the hotel is walking distance to a mall which is directly across the street. Other than that, we stayed for 5 days and enjoyed the remainder of our visit.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Thanks to the Intercontinental (Tampa) and staff for a memorable extended weekend (8/7-8/10), celebrating my husbands birthday AND our 30th wedding anniversary. On 8/9 while we were eating some appetizers, I went to inquire about the availability of a roll away bed as our son was coming into town for the Linkin Park concert. I did not have my i.d. readily on me but the staff asked to see my husband's i.d. and when she saw his birthday was the very same day she gave us free breakfast buffet's as Shula's! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy B.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
acrockettintercon, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I am so happy to hear the InterContinental Tampa was able to make your stay so memorable. I hope you choose to celebrate with us again!
Regards,
Alex C.
Batavia, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Rooms were very nice. Beds were comfy with down pillows and comforters. Pool was nice but area surrounding was dirty, broken umbrellas and stagnate water in plants.
Lack of towels even when asked never brought up from guest services.
Easy check in...staff very friendly.
Would stay again...

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your room while you stayed with us. We hope to see you soon!
Regards,
Alex C.

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!