“Zoo visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando
“Zoo visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed for a visit to Tampa zoo, hotel is close to I275 giving easy access to the zoo, downtown and the beaches at St Petes.
Mall is across the street and there are many dining options to suit all tastes and budgets, close by.
Have stayed here a number of times but beware on Saturday nights seems to be a popular wedding reception venue and have had noise issues with party guests till early hours of the morning. Surely in a hotel this size the party guests could be accommodated on their own floors to avoid disturbing other guests.
Stayed on a breakfast package and upgraded to a bay view room , was on 8th floor but view was restricted by the parking garage so probably was not worth the extra $15 over a standard room. Breakfast was good as part of my package with small buffet or a la carte items, but not good value if you were stumping up $18 per head.
Overall a good place to stay in Tampa and will stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

793 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
DeLand, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The room was fantastic. Very, very clean, comfortable and spacious. The bed and pillows afforded a great nights sleep. There was room to lounge or work if necessary. The room had some very thoughtful design touches. The whole top of the bureau where the TV sits is not actually drawers. One side is a discreetly hidden safe and another is the fold out coffee station. Valets were very nice and efficient when we called down ahead of time. It is $18 to valet, but free to self park.
That being said, the front desk clerks were slow and seemed overworked. No one was rude, but also they were not at all friendly. It really annoys me when I pay that much for a room and there is no wifi (not included in room charges here). I could not find anywhere in the hotel to buy a soda late at night. The food items in the room where ridiculously expensive. There was a note on the large bottle of Fiji water that it was $7. Also hidden in the bureau is a mini bar refrigerator. I opened it up to peak inside and have a look at things. When I closed it I was dumbfounded to read a plaque in the front stating it was an electronically filling mini bar. That removing items from the shelves alerted them to charge my room and refill, and that removing items unnecessarily would result in a $45 restocking fee! I would have gone ballistic had they actually charged me $45 for looking in the mini bar. they did not charge me, but the wording definitely made it sound like that was the intent.

Room Tip: There seems to be a lot of noise isolation between the rooms and the hallways. We never heard anoth...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Rooms are clean and very comfortable, staff are very friendly and helpful, room service food is good. I'm the lowest level of Intercon Ambassador member and got Fruit, a free movie and Wifi included. Breakfast in the main restaurant might be a bit expensive, but there is a great Illy cafe in the lobby for great coffee and pastries.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been using this hotel for business over the last few month. It is a great location with very good restaurants nearby, but the best thing about the hotel is the front desk staff. They pay close attention to your every need and go out of there way to make sure you are well satisfied with every visit. Andrea, Kathryn and Jackie are always on top of their game and ready to help. I highly recommend this hotel when in Tampa

Room Tip: Rooms on the east end are quieter, since you are farther from the road Rooms with windows facing so...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I had to take an emergency trip tp Tampa and we selected the InterContinental Hotel Tampa. This was a very nice hotel. We enjoyed our 2 night stay. It was convenient to the airport and also to Westshore Mall. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Saint Charles, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I'll state the good vs. bad. The good outweighs the bad, but for a family vacation it was not really convenient for us. 1) This hotel is beautiful, it is modern and clean. 2) The parking was free. 3) The room was comfortable and the restroom was large. (But I think we were in a handicapped room?) 4) I pricelined this reservation, so I wasn't sure where we would end up. For the price I got, I was happy, but... The BAD 1) This place is expensive. NOTHING is included. 2) no free wifi 3)no free breakfast, nothing...at...all (They want to charge you $18.95 that is for everyone, including children....really??? No thanks 4) swimming pool looked dirty and was too small, wouldn't let my children go close to it. 5) I had to print off my airplane vouchers and tried to do it in the business center, we couldn't get it to print there. Really??? You are a BUSINESS hotel. But the lady in the front helped me print it from her station, so I was happy... 6) No refrigerator, and when we called, they wanted to charge us for "use" of one.... 7) the windows open to the inside and you have a bunch of construction workers and business people looking at you. We are in Tampa, I want to see TAMPA not remind me of work... I had an issue with the remote dying on me. Not a big problem, things happen, I called guest services and a maintenance person came in and fixed the problem asap. I was impressed. The next day I was surprised to see they left a box of two chocolates and a note for the imposition. That was wonderful! I would stay here again on business, but not on family vacation. We enjoyed our stay, we just felt like we needed to sneak around because we were in swimwear and not in a business suit. It is right next to a mall and a Panera Bread (this was wonderful for us, because we are from St. Louis and we love our St. Louis Bread!!! Ahem Panera. ) You have to drive about a half mile to get to the beaches....bummer for us.

Room Tip: We were close to the elevator, and you could hear the elevator working , it wasn't that big of a...
Green Features: Standard, leave the towels on floor if you want them changed....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our Favorite things: Location / Rooftop Pool
Biggest complaint: Room Temperature / Internet

Stayed here as a couple for 5 nights on vacation. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel if you can get it at a discounted price.

Location:
As vacationers we could not have picked a better hotel in terms of location for our trip. Hotel is 2 minutes drive from highway entrance (next to Waffle House) and close to the routes that take you into Clearwater and St. Petersburg. Tampa International Airport is 4 miles away.
Medium sized shopping mall is directly across the street (West Shore Plaza). On the mall property and within 4-5 minute walk from the hotel are several restaurants. P.F. Changs, Maggiano's, Palm Restaurant, India's Grill Kennedy (Indian) and Mitchells Fish Market which we tried and loved. Mall also has an AMC inside.
Within 60 second drive to Walgreens, Starbucks, Taco Bell, Chevron, BP, Burger King, McDonalds, Liquor Store and "Greek Grill".

Room:
Stayed here as a couple for 5 nights on vacation. We received an upper room floor with an outside view room facing corner of mall and street. We enjoyed the decor which I would describe as modern with a vacationy twist on the typical Intercontinental decor. Our room was VERY clean. No rips, stains, mold, hairs, or spots anywhere.
The temperature in the room was never quite cold enough to be comfortable. You could feel the humidity.
No microwave or fridge other than overpriced minibar with built in pricing sensors.
Barely any noise issues. We were not that close to elevators. Couple of muscles cars with loud exhausts 1 night. Exterior window maintenance work woke us up one morning. Guess it has to be done sometime.

Parking:
From the moment you step out of your car to the time it takes to get to your room is about 4-5 minutes. You exit your car in elevated parking garage, enter an elevator, go down to lobby, walk down a long hallway past the restaurant and into next elevator to your floor.....Small annoyance that gets tiring after 5 nights and multiple outings per day. Valet may shave off 2 minutes ?

Pool:
Rooftop pool was my favorite feature here. Yes the actual pool is small but so are most hotel pools. The pool is perched atop the parking garage (but not accessible from) and is connected by a walkway from the hotel. The pool deck offers a view of the Tampa skyline in the distance. As well as views of Old Tampa Bay (body of water) and airplanes from the nearby Tampa International Airport. Some nice sunsets too.

Internet:
There is a daily charge of $12.95 USD for in-room internet.
Lobby guest computers were basically useless for internet the 2 days we tried. First 2 pages might load after a minute each but then the internet just froze completely. Basically useless. We tried restarting both computers and didn't help.
Surprise surprise, we ended up paying for 2 days of internet for $30.00
Tip: If its worth it for you, go to the Starbucks directly across the street from hotel lobby entrance and get free Wi-Fi there. MC Donalds also has free Wi-Fi down the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!