“Business yes! Family Vacation no...but it is clean and that is good!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Business yes! Family Vacation no...but it is clean and that is good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I'll state the good vs. bad. The good outweighs the bad, but for a family vacation it was not really convenient for us. 1) This hotel is beautiful, it is modern and clean. 2) The parking was free. 3) The room was comfortable and the restroom was large. (But I think we were in a handicapped room?) 4) I pricelined this reservation, so I wasn't sure where we would end up. For the price I got, I was happy, but... The BAD 1) This place is expensive. NOTHING is included. 2) no free wifi 3)no free breakfast, nothing...at...all (They want to charge you $18.95 that is for everyone, including children....really??? No thanks 4) swimming pool looked dirty and was too small, wouldn't let my children go close to it. 5) I had to print off my airplane vouchers and tried to do it in the business center, we couldn't get it to print there. Really??? You are a BUSINESS hotel. But the lady in the front helped me print it from her station, so I was happy... 6) No refrigerator, and when we called, they wanted to charge us for "use" of one.... 7) the windows open to the inside and you have a bunch of construction workers and business people looking at you. We are in Tampa, I want to see TAMPA not remind me of work... I had an issue with the remote dying on me. Not a big problem, things happen, I called guest services and a maintenance person came in and fixed the problem asap. I was impressed. The next day I was surprised to see they left a box of two chocolates and a note for the imposition. That was wonderful! I would stay here again on business, but not on family vacation. We enjoyed our stay, we just felt like we needed to sneak around because we were in swimwear and not in a business suit. It is right next to a mall and a Panera Bread (this was wonderful for us, because we are from St. Louis and we love our St. Louis Bread!!! Ahem Panera. ) You have to drive about a half mile to get to the beaches....bummer for us.

Room Tip: We were close to the elevator, and you could hear the elevator working , it wasn't that big of a...
Green Features: Standard, leave the towels on floor if you want them changed....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our Favorite things: Location / Rooftop Pool
Biggest complaint: Room Temperature / Internet

Stayed here as a couple for 5 nights on vacation. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel if you can get it at a discounted price.

Location:
As vacationers we could not have picked a better hotel in terms of location for our trip. Hotel is 2 minutes drive from highway entrance (next to Waffle House) and close to the routes that take you into Clearwater and St. Petersburg. Tampa International Airport is 4 miles away.
Medium sized shopping mall is directly across the street (West Shore Plaza). On the mall property and within 4-5 minute walk from the hotel are several restaurants. P.F. Changs, Maggiano's, Palm Restaurant, India's Grill Kennedy (Indian) and Mitchells Fish Market which we tried and loved. Mall also has an AMC inside.
Within 60 second drive to Walgreens, Starbucks, Taco Bell, Chevron, BP, Burger King, McDonalds, Liquor Store and "Greek Grill".

Room:
Stayed here as a couple for 5 nights on vacation. We received an upper room floor with an outside view room facing corner of mall and street. We enjoyed the decor which I would describe as modern with a vacationy twist on the typical Intercontinental decor. Our room was VERY clean. No rips, stains, mold, hairs, or spots anywhere.
The temperature in the room was never quite cold enough to be comfortable. You could feel the humidity.
No microwave or fridge other than overpriced minibar with built in pricing sensors.
Barely any noise issues. We were not that close to elevators. Couple of muscles cars with loud exhausts 1 night. Exterior window maintenance work woke us up one morning. Guess it has to be done sometime.

Parking:
From the moment you step out of your car to the time it takes to get to your room is about 4-5 minutes. You exit your car in elevated parking garage, enter an elevator, go down to lobby, walk down a long hallway past the restaurant and into next elevator to your floor.....Small annoyance that gets tiring after 5 nights and multiple outings per day. Valet may shave off 2 minutes ?

Pool:
Rooftop pool was my favorite feature here. Yes the actual pool is small but so are most hotel pools. The pool is perched atop the parking garage (but not accessible from) and is connected by a walkway from the hotel. The pool deck offers a view of the Tampa skyline in the distance. As well as views of Old Tampa Bay (body of water) and airplanes from the nearby Tampa International Airport. Some nice sunsets too.

Internet:
There is a daily charge of $12.95 USD for in-room internet.
Lobby guest computers were basically useless for internet the 2 days we tried. First 2 pages might load after a minute each but then the internet just froze completely. Basically useless. We tried restarting both computers and didn't help.
Surprise surprise, we ended up paying for 2 days of internet for $30.00
Tip: If its worth it for you, go to the Starbucks directly across the street from hotel lobby entrance and get free Wi-Fi there. MC Donalds also has free Wi-Fi down the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
naples florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I question how there could be so many good reviews for this hotel. We booked a "Bush Gardens area hotel" through hotwire. Supposed to be 3.5-7.5 miles away. Hotel was 10+ miles away on very busy 275. Very very noisy hotel. Impossible to sleep. Bang bang bang all night due to loud door locks that sound like a nail gun firing. No insulation in walls? Asked for room change due to noise elevator hallway, was placed in an equally bad adjoining room with crying baby next door. Party girls screaming, crying cursing until 3.30am. Completely got the impression that they put us in a reserved section for discount bookings. Small roof top pool closed due to weather. Small gym adequate but old equiptment. No sauna, no spa, old ruff towels by pool. Absolutely no privacy, can't open curtains due to poor building design, no sound proofing bang bang. Room dark like cave as curtains had to remain closed (unless you are the type who likes 700 offices looking directly into your room. Expensive bar $15 glass of house wine. Clean room. Toilet permanently blocked. If someone paid me, I wouldn't stay here again. This hotel might suit the ear plug wielding voyeuristic type or next door business traveller. Bring ear plugs!

• Stayed November 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear john31NaplesFlorida,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. I am sorry for the inconvenience the noise had caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
cctx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Picked this up on Hotwire. Easy check in, nice room. Quiet the night I stayed. Only regret is the lack of plastic disposable cups. Not a fan of reusing glass in a hotel. Early flight and the shuttle driver was available at 5 am. Would be a great spot if you had time to hang out. Across the street from a large mall, bank, and other convenience stores. Newspaper available as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I book the hotel through Priceline for last minutes stays, while I had business in St Petes. This hotel isn't too far from the airport, so which was nice for me leaving the next day. The hotel shares a parking structure with the work office building right across from it. The check in was ok, and even thou I was Plat member which should waved the internet, I had to talk to manager next morning during check out to clear it. It's a nice intercontinental which I always wanted to stay once. Other than that, I guess I do like the IHG brands high end better than Hyatt.

Room Tip: You want room that face outside the buildings, not facing the office across which can see you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel while on a business trip in Tampa. The room was clean and tastefully decorated and the hotel is located conveniently close to the airport. I particularly liked the spacious lobby, which has many comfortable seats, WI-FI, and complimentary newspapers. My only criticism was of the tacky flyers for pizza delivery that were left in my room. These don't belong in a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tiffany S, Guest Relations at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Charles, thank you for staying with us at the InterContinental Tampa. We are so glad that you felt our hotel was a good choice for your business travel needs and that we were able to provide you with comfort throughout. We look forward to your next stay!
Fort Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have stayed at this Intercontinental several times and have enjoyed the upscale decor, cleanliness and convenience of location. We always take advantage of the valet parking and have found the customer service from the valet team to be outstanding.

Check in was efficient although no information was given about hotel amenities or no recognition as a returning guest. We were thanked for being an IHG Rewards member but did not receive any special perks that we normally receive such as upgrade, bottled waters, snacks or coupons.

We enjoy this location and will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tiffany S, Guest Relations at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the InterContinental when you are in Tampa! The valet team will be so glad to hear your kind comments regarding their customer service. They do a great job! We look forward to your next visit!

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!