“Convenient and Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 25%
Ranked #49 of 158 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Convenient and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. There is a free shuttle to/from the airport which is very nice. However, please remember to call before leaving home or as soon as you land to arrange for pickup. We didn't know that and by the time we called the hotel we had been waiting 20 min. Then when the driver got there he got pulled over by Tampa police for a surprise inspection so we couldn't board for another 15 min. Not the hotels fault though.

Other than that everything else went pretty smooth. The staff is very nice and accomodating. They gave us free drinks at the bar/restaurant for the shuttle delay. Check in was quick, the room was really pretty and clean (so was the bathroom - I was impressed). The staff helped us with directions to different attractions and arranged transportation for us, even calling multiple cab companies to find out the cheapest one. I recommend a car though and will do that next time.

The hotel is about a half block from the mall which was great and there were multiple restaurants within walking distance. There is also a nice little beach about 5 min. drive from the hotel. The hotel is also very close to the airport.

The only complaint I have is about the pool. I think the pool area needs updating. It is on the 9th floor, outside on the roof which is cool. But the area is very small making it crowded with only a few families around so we didn't use it. Other than that we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Douglasville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My fiancé and I recently stayed at the InterContinental hotel in Tampa on August 8,2013. The front desk clerk( I believe her name was Paula) she welcomed us with a warm smile and a pleasant attitude. So we started our wonderful stay with a pleasant greeting from the hotels staff. The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean(this is my main concern upon entering any hotel room). I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family whenever they go to Tampa ,FL. The swimming pool was WONDERFUL. I love swimming and the pool had a nice temp. and it was very, very clean and enticing.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 509.Which is very quiet. The scenery wasn't the greatest, but we didn't mi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I booked a week here on Hotwire.com. We were sooo pleasantly surprised when we arrived and saw this magnificent hotel - very near two major shopping areas and with just about the most comfortable beds we have ever enjoyed. My wife surprised me with a dinner from Shula's steakhouse (on the premises). We love this place and speak so well of it to others. Every once in awhile, I need to just "change scenery" and enjoy quiet, quality time wth my wife. This is the place we go. If you want a 1st class experience with great food, excellent service, and wonderful views by Tampa Bay, come to the InterContinental.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Intercontinental many times, both on business and with my family and found the standards to be consistently excellent.

Located on the corner of Kennedy & Westshore in Tampa, the location is ideal for the Westshore Business area. The rooms are always bright and very clean and each room has scales, for those who are keen to weigh themselves!!

The pool is on the roof and offers great views of the bay. The restaurant is Shula's and the steaks quality is as high as one would expect.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get a "corner room" (one at the end of the corridor).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My niece was taking the Florida Bar Exam so my sister and I decided to accompany her and do some shopping. We stayed at the Intercontinental Tampa and loved it. Valet parking is about $18.00 but the hotel offers free self-parking and it was not bad. The lobby is a very open space but nicely done. The reception/front desk staff was excellent; they were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the third floor (324); it had a nice view of the mall, very quiet, larger than expected and very clean. The lemon verbena shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were a plus. The Westshore Mall is across the street (about four blocks if you walk) with a few nice restaurants (P.F. Chang, Mitchell’s Seafood…) and of course, at the hotel you have Shula’s Steakhouse. I had the filet mignon and it was excellent, but the best was the chocolate soufflé. The only negative is that they charge $12.95 daily for Wi-Fi, so we only used it one day, but overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lakeland Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The place is amazing to look at. Gorgeous setting, convenient location, large rooms, wall to wall windows and very nice shower/bath. That's it. I arrived very late and hurried to the shuttle at the airport. The man threw my luggage in and jumped on board. He said something like good evening when he pulled up, but it wasn't nice. He did not speak to me at all. He referred to me as 'the lady.' He looked exhausted, I forgave him. Arrived at the front hotel, no help, no offer of help, only a lonely check in clerk posed at a front desk. It was very late. I forgave them and dragged my luggage in. Clerk was not rude, but he was snooty. He flicked my card and put a freeze on my accounts (all three of them) for incidentals. Whatever that meant. I understand that's policy, but he could have been nice about it. He could have asked me how my flight was or if I was here for a conference or welcome to Tampa. Something. Instead he flicked my card and kept comments to a robotic response. I grumped upstairs with all my luggage and fell in bed. Before 9, housekeeping yelled outside my door. They wanted in to clean. By the time I got there, they were gone. But I was awake. Check out wasn't until 12:00. I tried to make a call from my phone and found my phone had no reception without wi-fi. That's when I discovered the incidentals. Wi-Fi costs 13.00 a day, breakfasts start at 8.00 and go to 15.00, among other things. I'm used to being pampered when I stay at a hotel. It's a four star facility. At least they could have nice people, a few amenities? I went down stairs to check out and discovered a lovely dressed woman who, though not rude, told me in an icy robotic persona that I had paid and everything was done. The only nice woman in the entire building was a maid who smiled and said good morning. Right before her manager ordered her further down the hall.

How did I choose this hotel? It was a four-star-in-the-area deal. Will I choose this chain again? Only if I'm blind folded. People are more important than glass towers and beautiful fountains. It might have been a nice ending to a long day if someone had only been...nice.

Room Tip: Fifth floor was quiet, until housekeeping came extra early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Darelle R,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel and the amenities on offer. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Highly Recommend - hope everyone gets the same superior level of service I received from the moment I walked in and was greeted at the Front Desk by Patty F. - she is an absolute !
As a former road warrior Hotels have always been a necessary evil they can make or break your stay trip whether biz or vacay. What I realized on this 3 day trip is that first impression is Everything it sets the tone for the rest of your stay! Patty F. at reception not only was Excellent but she went above and beyond any other! Patty deserves all the Accolades and kudos that a person with such stellar customer care possesses! She knew when I arrived late that I was under the weather and catered to my every need, she even treated me to a delicious box of chocolate truffles AND called my room to ensure my special requests such as no feather pillows were all taken care of! The truffles alone made me feel like a princess along with my own private concierge (trust me I've stayed at an Intercon & paid 750$/n for a room in Tahiti and I!d take her service over any other - it changes your trip and makes the hotel that much nicer. I wish I could take her traveling with me to teach others how to treat guests as its the little things that mean a lot..... As I was leaving, you exit through the lobby to get to the parking garage, I was so laden down with bags that I didn't look up and out from behind the desk came Patty to assist me with my bags - can I take her home with me ? The rooms are clean toiletries add a nice spa-like touch with lemon verbena scented shampoo conditioner etc..., but my favorite is in the shower cap all you girls that forget was a nice little white pony tail holder - how ironic, I forgot mine :)!!! Great Job InterCon! Muchos Gracias to my Housekeeper Margarita and her patience while I trampled all of my luggage out of the room late as always :)) the beds made me late :) thanks and will definitely come back for the service, convenience and vicinity to everything in the Tampa/Westshore area.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!