“A great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“A great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My niece was taking the Florida Bar Exam so my sister and I decided to accompany her and do some shopping. We stayed at the Intercontinental Tampa and loved it. Valet parking is about $18.00 but the hotel offers free self-parking and it was not bad. The lobby is a very open space but nicely done. The reception/front desk staff was excellent; they were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the third floor (324); it had a nice view of the mall, very quiet, larger than expected and very clean. The lemon verbena shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were a plus. The Westshore Mall is across the street (about four blocks if you walk) with a few nice restaurants (P.F. Chang, Mitchell’s Seafood…) and of course, at the hotel you have Shula’s Steakhouse. I had the filet mignon and it was excellent, but the best was the chocolate soufflé. The only negative is that they charge $12.95 daily for Wi-Fi, so we only used it one day, but overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Lakeland Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The place is amazing to look at. Gorgeous setting, convenient location, large rooms, wall to wall windows and very nice shower/bath. That's it. I arrived very late and hurried to the shuttle at the airport. The man threw my luggage in and jumped on board. He said something like good evening when he pulled up, but it wasn't nice. He did not speak to me at all. He referred to me as 'the lady.' He looked exhausted, I forgave him. Arrived at the front hotel, no help, no offer of help, only a lonely check in clerk posed at a front desk. It was very late. I forgave them and dragged my luggage in. Clerk was not rude, but he was snooty. He flicked my card and put a freeze on my accounts (all three of them) for incidentals. Whatever that meant. I understand that's policy, but he could have been nice about it. He could have asked me how my flight was or if I was here for a conference or welcome to Tampa. Something. Instead he flicked my card and kept comments to a robotic response. I grumped upstairs with all my luggage and fell in bed. Before 9, housekeeping yelled outside my door. They wanted in to clean. By the time I got there, they were gone. But I was awake. Check out wasn't until 12:00. I tried to make a call from my phone and found my phone had no reception without wi-fi. That's when I discovered the incidentals. Wi-Fi costs 13.00 a day, breakfasts start at 8.00 and go to 15.00, among other things. I'm used to being pampered when I stay at a hotel. It's a four star facility. At least they could have nice people, a few amenities? I went down stairs to check out and discovered a lovely dressed woman who, though not rude, told me in an icy robotic persona that I had paid and everything was done. The only nice woman in the entire building was a maid who smiled and said good morning. Right before her manager ordered her further down the hall.

How did I choose this hotel? It was a four-star-in-the-area deal. Will I choose this chain again? Only if I'm blind folded. People are more important than glass towers and beautiful fountains. It might have been a nice ending to a long day if someone had only been...nice.

Room Tip: Fifth floor was quiet, until housekeeping came extra early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Darelle R,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel and the amenities on offer. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Highly Recommend - hope everyone gets the same superior level of service I received from the moment I walked in and was greeted at the Front Desk by Patty F. - she is an absolute !
As a former road warrior Hotels have always been a necessary evil they can make or break your stay trip whether biz or vacay. What I realized on this 3 day trip is that first impression is Everything it sets the tone for the rest of your stay! Patty F. at reception not only was Excellent but she went above and beyond any other! Patty deserves all the Accolades and kudos that a person with such stellar customer care possesses! She knew when I arrived late that I was under the weather and catered to my every need, she even treated me to a delicious box of chocolate truffles AND called my room to ensure my special requests such as no feather pillows were all taken care of! The truffles alone made me feel like a princess along with my own private concierge (trust me I've stayed at an Intercon & paid 750$/n for a room in Tahiti and I!d take her service over any other - it changes your trip and makes the hotel that much nicer. I wish I could take her traveling with me to teach others how to treat guests as its the little things that mean a lot..... As I was leaving, you exit through the lobby to get to the parking garage, I was so laden down with bags that I didn't look up and out from behind the desk came Patty to assist me with my bags - can I take her home with me ? The rooms are clean toiletries add a nice spa-like touch with lemon verbena scented shampoo conditioner etc..., but my favorite is in the shower cap all you girls that forget was a nice little white pony tail holder - how ironic, I forgot mine :)!!! Great Job InterCon! Muchos Gracias to my Housekeeper Margarita and her patience while I trampled all of my luggage out of the room late as always :)) the beds made me late :) thanks and will definitely come back for the service, convenience and vicinity to everything in the Tampa/Westshore area.

• Stayed August 2013
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am on the road 2-3 nights a week on business all through Florida. I must tell you the Intercontinental in Tampa is my favorite, and I always look forward to the arrival. Two simple reasons: 1) reception at front desk by the most courteous, helpful, and upbeat staff; 2) Updated, clean and convenient location close to it all. I can promise, wheather business or pleasure, you will find the Intercontinental a treasure. I cant wait to get back just thinking about it, especially seeing those fun helpful ladies at the front desk, Kathryn and Andrea.

Room Tip: Front desk is key.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I arrived in Tampa Florida on July 26th 2013 @2:00am. After a horrible plane ride I was ready to get to the hotel that I paid for which was the Holiday Inn & Suites near Busch Gardens Tampa (Hotel provided by the package I purchased through Busch Gardens.com). After a few hours in that FILTHY, OLD, MOLDY hotel I decided I needed to leave immediately. I could not spend MY ENTIRE vacation there.

I QUICKLY made another reservation the next morning for the InterContinental Hotel. I arrived on July 27th 2013. I was given clear directions from the valet attendant for the FREE PARKING PROVIDED around the corner. When I walked into the hotel I was greeted by Yesenia Moreno ("Yessy" on her name tag). Not only was she extremely polite, she was friendly during my entire check-in and check-out process.

Since this was my first time in Tampa I asked Yessy what things my brother and I could do to make this a great experience. Yessy went above and beyond by printing out directions to Siesta Key Beach for me and sliding them underneath my room door. All of this within the first 30 minutes of me checking into the hotel. AMAZING SERVICE!

The condition of my room was IMMACULATE and I was very pleased. While we were there I also enjoyed Shula's Restaurant for breakfast! Which was YUMMMYYY!!! The service was great and I made sure to leave my servers a tip.

I am very big on customer service and cleanliness. Yessy and the staff at the Intercontinental Hotel quickly turned my trip from hell into an AMAZING experience. As long as I visit Tampa I will continue to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a terrific stay at the Intercontinental Tampa. Great location and close to the airport. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was attentive to our needs. We love the Illy Café in the lobby and Shula's Steak House is the right place for dinner. Across the street is the Westshore Mall offering a number of restaurants, stores and an AMC Cinema.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Business meetings all weekend. Good proximity to the airport. Very nice Rooms, well maintained. Hotel restaurant, 'Shula's' is excellent with great service. Pool up on top is a little short for lap swimming. Fitness room is clean and the equipment is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!