“A Saturday night in Tampa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #51 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Altamonte Springs, Florida, United States
“A Saturday night in Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A clean, comfortable room with an amazingly comfortable bed. Bay view was partially obstructed by building, but was pretty anyway. Nice that it had a parking garage that you could put your car in the shade. Well appointed room and friendly staff. Advised staff of maintenance issues that were not overall detractors of visit and was given chocolates. The only real problem with the place is temporary. All day long there was jackhammer noise from renovations that are ongoing

Room Tip: Might want a room on the east side away from the bay, as the afternoon sun made the room warm.
Green Features: Was impressed that there were recycle bins and glasses instead of disposable cups.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Davie, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked 1 night at this "4 star hotel", InterContinental Hotel Tampa. When we arrived, we noticed that there was a large portion of the place blocked off due to construction. Not really a big deal, but it was quite an eye sore. I checked in and the woman at the front desk was nice and friendly. That was the only enjoyable part of our whole stay.

We used the self parking because the valet is $18/night. The valet will put your car in the exact same garage as the self parking and it's connected to the hotel. Don't waste your money on valeting for $18 when you can easily park the car yourself. It isn't even a far walk.

When we got to our room, we were completely shocked to see how TINY it was. This was due to the fact that the room was on the very end of the hotel. The shape of the hotel meant that the room was literally "cut in half" diagonally with a large window that spanned the entire length of the room. It was VERY SMALL and uncomfortable. I can't stress this enough. I opened the curtains, expecting some GRAND VIEW out the large window and was disappointed when I found that the parking garage was all I could see.

I called the front desk to let them know I was unhappy with the room and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I was told that I had booked a "last availability" room type and they were fully booked. When I said "So I got the VERY last room in the entire hotel?" she dodged the question and repeated what she just said.

They did NOTHING for us and we left very unhappy.

Room Tip: Avoid room 508 if you're claustrophobic.
Green Features: Didn't notice any environmentally-friendly practices at all. They waste paper by giving out cards that say to leave a review on TripAdvisor.com.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Philip D,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We appreciate you taking time to help us continually improve our guests services.

I apologize for you did not find your room to your liking and if our parking services has negatively affected your overall experience with us. We deeply regret the inconvenience and dissatisfaction these aspects have caused you.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My home when I travel in Tampa Bay. Haven't had a bad experience yet. Rooms are nice. Close to mall and shopping. Close to airport and downtown Tampa. Mini bar pricey, but I don't do minibars anyway. Maggianos, Pf chang's, Starbucks, Panerabread are all across the street. West shore Plaza Mall across the Street. International Mall four blocks away...

Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Got a deal on Priceline Express Deals and couldn't have been happier....Hotel staff was friendly, location ideal for business and airport for you business travelers......Parking Garage a little out of the way but more convenient and cheaper than using the valet. Room was comfortable, air conditioning worked the best of any hotels I have stayed at in quite some time. Shula's Steakhouse on premise and you can even eat at their lobby bar which is convenient.....Definitely would stay here again......

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are quieter
Tenafly, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our family was in Tampa area visiting my wife's family who lives in the city. Although we can stay at my in-laws the whole trip I like to stay at a local hotel for few days.
Our first option has always been Grand Hyatt because of the beatiful views. This time we decided to try Intercontinental due to proximity to my in-law's.
The hotel shares a same building with an office complex. As matter of fact, the view from our window was directly across from business offices separated by lobby/atrium down below. I was little skeptical of this setting when I first saw the pictures posted in this site. However, once in the room it wasn't as unsettling as I thought it was going to be.
Now that I mentioned about the little minus let me tell about little things that made my stay at the hotel so nice.
The lobby is extremely well appointed with business emphasis ambiance that is expected in a location like this. The rooms albeit not big had very comfortable beds.
Now what made me write this review in a very positive manner was the professionalism of the front desk staff. Regretfully I don't know his name, but when he saw my son who is 11, the person who checked us in, gave us a room on 9th floor where the pool is. And since it was still hot and sunny outside our family had a blast enjoying the rooftop pool.
No matter how small the poll is and the fact that the hotel caters mostly to business crowd. But when a staff tries to accomodate every guest with all the resource that they have, to me that is what hospitalilty is all about.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Intercontinental was a beautiful hotel, staff very friendly although our housekeeping staff couldn't speak English, she was very kind. The downers: Bottled water at $7.50 a clip in the room and sodas in the bar fridge were $4.00 each. Come on people, convenience shouldn't cost that much. Rooms were comfortable and clean, a little on the small side. Overall, a good experience and a beautiful environment, great for business meetings. Shula's is right in the hotel but come with a fat wallet!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator, it runs constantly
Green Features: Awesome policies for Eco Friendly, kudos for putting these in place
Hockessin, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Intercontinental Tampa is a gorgeous hotel in a very convenient location. My elderly mother and I were there to attend my brother's wedding in Lithia. The staff was absolutely fabulous, catering to my Mom's physical needs, and helping us with every small detail. We loved the pool on the roof with the spectacular view of Tampa Bay! The food was excellent, both at Shula's for lunch and in the dining room for the Sunday brunch. Our concierge, Tiffany, was fabulous and helped guide us to some wonderful restaurants in the area. Just a marvelous stay!! Gen/Delaware

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!