“Nice hotel near the airport.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice hotel near the airport.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked on Priceline and got our room for $60. Great deal for such a nice hotel. Rooftop pool could be nicer, but overall very clean and modern. We stayed here a few years back when it was a Wyndham. It's much better now.

• Stayed June 2013

793 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Don't go to this hotel expecting Intercontinental's typical level of comfort or service. There are huge problems with elevator noise--it makes a loud, whining sound every time it moves. We asked to be moved to another room and the staff readily complied. There we found gummy, used soaps on the vanity and in the shower, etc., so wondered what else hadn't been cleaned properly. On to room #3, where the elevator was as loud as in our first room, although it was considerably further away. This indicates that many rooms have problems with elevator noise. Too tired to move again (but not too tired to complain), I spoke with a manager who asked what else he could do. I suggested that he suggest what would be appropriate and, since he didn't, I asked him to simply comp valet parking ($18 for my 1-night stay). He readily agreed, and after a night of sleep oft-interrupted sleep, I found a bill under my door that showed two valet parking charges and two credits canceling them out. Just to be sure my card wasn't charged, I stopped by the desk, only to learn that I was still being charged for two nights of valet service for my 1-night stay (my car was parked from 7:30 one evening until the following morning--clearly one night only). The front desk staff person spent a good 10 minutes mulling over my objection to the charge but resisted my request to call a manager. She first offered to credit one night of valet, then finally she agreed to remove both charges. Since she was unable to print a zero-balance receipt, I'm wondering what charges I'll find on my next credit card bill. So there must be something positive to say, right? The bar/lounge was nice enough--although the bartender more than doubled the charge for our drinks, she apologized for her error and corrected it (but I guess I should also check that on my credit card bill!). Another plus was the comfortable bed, which I appreciated during all my wakeful hours listening to the whine of the elevator.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, try to get a room well away from the elevator. However, others in my group...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear LKMiami,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at InterContinental Tampa, FL. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
SRQ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I love the "Business VIBE" at the Intercontinental so I am giving it a 4 star rating ...I have stayed there on several occasions.Staff is always great. Its near enough to downtown with a connected FREE parking garage ...if I didnt have an emotional fondness for the place I would give it 3 stars. It is getting older and could honestly use a facelift, though the beds are still very comfy ....Its great for a short business stay. For a longer stay I need a bit more comfort, and convenience so given the choice I would pick a different hotel. Hopefully the Intercontinental will be getting a facelift in the near future and then I will bump it up a star

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JGaffney, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always working to improve our product and it is very helpful to receive feedback such as yours. Thanks for your loyalty!
-John
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past so I already knew more or less what I was walking into; however, the services at this hotel has declined. I did attempt to meet with the James, the on-duty manager, but he was on break. I think the more disappointing thing is that the manager did not attempt to contact me prior to leaving for a his break to where he was unavailable.

On the day that I checked into the hotel, the front desk person was excellent! She greeted me with a smile and valued my security. Unfortunately, that was the last time that I saw her during my visit. I arrived to my hotel room to find restaurant advertisements under the door. I left them there assuming housekeeping would removing them during service the next day. When I used the sink in the bathroom, the hot water sink leaked from the knob. I was too tired after my travels to wait for engineering so I decided to wait until to contact them the next day. I also noticed that one of the cable channel was not working so I noted that as well. I woke up that morning and went downstairs to reset my day and enjoy breakfast. The breakfast area was very clean; however, the breakfast experience was not enjoyable. I have lived in Intercontinental Hotels all over the world. I have held Royal Ambassador status for at least 3 years. This is the first time that I have seen food that was unguarded and uncovered. The omelet station was unmanned and all of the ingredients which includes the egg substitutes was uncovered. That was disappointing. After the breakfast, I reported to the front desk the issues that I was having in my room with the leaking sink knob and the cable stations. Only the sink was passed onto to the engineer who arrived to my room. She did resolved the sink issue; however, the cable channel apparently was an issue with either the cable company or the cable equipment. That channel did not work at all during my stay. I left the hotel and returned that evening to find that turn down service was completed in my room. The restaurant advertisements were never removed from the floor by the door. This tells me that the hotel supports outside restaurants providing take-out service to the rooms. That is also a first for me at any Intercontinental Hotel. The ice was also left uncovered in the ice bucket. At all of the other hotels that I have stayed in, the ice bucket has always been covered to prevent the ice from getting dirty. I then noticed on the bedside table that the housekeeping left the weather of the day cards stacked. For those who stay in hotels, the weather for that day is old news. We no longer need to know what it is so please remove it and replace it with the weather for the next day.

This stay was surprising to me based on my last stays. The issues that is probably beyond their control is maintaining the temperature during the day in the room. We are in Florida and the air condition does have to fight the heat. Unfortunately, the air condition was not properly rated and the room will get hot during the day. I experienced this during my previous stays many years ago so I knew not to stay in the hotel during the daytime. FYI - Engineering will tell you that there is nothing wrong with the air conditioning system and it is functioning properly. Regardless of whether or not you close the drapes and curtains, the room will heat up. Regardless of that, I have not had any issues at all in this hotel in the past. This was surprising that this hotel has declined.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
David,
I apologize that you did not enjoy the experience at our property. I am very disappointed to hear the issues you raised were not addressed quickly, and will review with the leaders in the hotel to ensure better service in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us as it will help us improve for the future.
-John
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The Pathology Board Exams eventually left me with no choice but to book a room at the InterContinental Hotel. From previous test takers, I got a good idea of the hotel in general.
Although the service was in general really good, the rooms were less flattering. First, the windows will give you the sight of the adjacent buildings. Second, upon entering the room, the foul smell of the carpets (the smell of feet) made me wonder why they haven't done something about that (shampooing, take out the carpet and replace them with new ones). Third, the sound of the elevators was absolutely horrid even though my room wasn't the closest one to the elevators.
Thankfully, the bathrooms are clean, which for me is the most important issue when staying in a hotel.
The breakfast served wasn't the best I've had, but to be fair, it wasn't bad either. Their buffet is relatively diverse. They also have a menu a la carte.
My one regret is that I didn't try the Shula steakhouse restaurant, since I heard that their steaks are amazing.
In general, the hotel is average and relatively good for a business trip. However, it's mediocre for an InterContinental hotel. I hope they're thinking about doing some renovations to the rooms, since they definitely need some.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Alexis B,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you have experienced during your stay with us. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spend Saturday night at this Hotel where we have spent many night before when visiting the Tampa Bay area. Most hotels charge to valet park so I was not surprised by the $18 daily charge. The rooms need work, like the drains in the shower tub and bathroom sink drain extremely slow and I mention that on my last visit to this hotel. This time the A/C did not perform to an acceptable standard and when I called down to the front desk they told me engineering would check it out. We left the property around 6pm for a dinner reservation and returned around 10pm to find the room was still hot as before we left. This will be my last time staying here as there are better properties in Tampa with working A/C and drains that are not always clogged up. It a shame that this property is not what it used to be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear kwmayse,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the condition in which you found your room. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We will be addressing the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Jaime W
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The rooms and facility are great. However, we felt that due to getting a great deal on Priceline, we were treated poorly by the staff.

We stayed 2 nights while our child had heart surgery at a nearby hospital.

My husband went back to the hotel to sleep and the room was not made up. At no time did maid service enter or fix up the room, however, they did add $37 worth of charges on our room from the minibar. (We did not consume anything from the minibar).

When husband asked for room to be made up, they were extremely put out and insisted that they had not skipped his room.

We ended up needing to stay an additional night due to complicaitons from surgery, however we chose to take our business to another hotel because of the lack of customer service here.

I expected more from ICH brand and was disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear jesbribraali,

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!