“Nice Hotel for the Business Traveler” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Williamstown, New Jersey
“Nice Hotel for the Business Traveler”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

You may want to avoid this hotel if you are on vacation. It is definitely geared to the business traveler and offers no appeal to the vactioner. It is like being in a downtown hotel in any city, and that is not what we anticipated. There is no feel of being in Florida. Our room faced a connected office building where we had the view of cubicles and employees working. On day two, we requested a room change, which request they accommodated. We were then facing Kennedy Boulevard, where the traffice was very noisy. The rooptop pool area is small, and only accommodates approximately 30 people. The one time we went up there, there were no seats available, so we didn't bother staying. The hotel was clean, and the staff very friendly and accommodating, but would not stay there again for a vacation.

Room Tip: Although the rooms on Kennedy Boulevard are noisy, avoid rooms facing office building, as there is n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JGaffney, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are a great location for business travelers with some wonderful amenities in the hotel. You are correct we are not a Florida resort hotel, as we are in Tampa located central to the Westshore business district. However our location is close to some fantastic shopping, dining and entertainment choices that can be great for those on vacation too. Check in with our Concierge as she can assist making your stay memorable. Thanks for writing.

806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This Tampa trip I tagged along on my husband's business trip. Rain was in the forecast (so couldn't be at the beach), so searched on Priceline for a 4 star hotel with amenities & a location where I had options for entertainment while he was busy working.
Last visit we stood Downtown at the Regency, and although 'ok', I knew this wouldn't suffice.
At the Intercontinental, our room was VERY nicely appointed & decorated, clean & appealing. The beds were VERY comfortable! We have a cell phone that has a 'hot spot' feature, for our computer, so didn't concern ourselves with the hotel WiFi. The occupants of the hotel were primarily business men & women. There was a pleasant sophistication to the bldg, yet not 'stuffy'.

Surprisingly, the rain forecast didn't come to fruition, so I was able to enjoy the rooftop heated pool. The location of the Intercontinental is near a shopping center & restaurants. Movies, many presently in theaters, may be purchased on your TV in your room, but they cost about $16/movie. I opted for the free HBO movies offered. The real 'DEAL' of this all was being able to bid on Priceline and enjoying it for $100/night! a TRUE VALUE!

Room Tip: Bid on Priceline under 4 star hotel in Airport area. I started at $85, then won it at rebid of $100...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the lovely review, I am glad you enjoyed your visit and hear the weather cooperated!
We hope to see you again soon!
Sanibel, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel has horrible WI FI service, the air conditional needs a major overhaul and avoid rooms near the elevators. The elevators are the loudest and will keep you awake but also wake you up.
I stayed in room 636 which is the closest room to the elevator and the it was the worst hotel experience in my life.

Kevin,
I am sorry to hear you experienced such a poor overall stay with us. This is not a typical experience for the InterContinental Tampa and I wanted to assure you this is unacceptable to us. Please accept my most sincere apology.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good Location, no free WIFI except in their business center. The staff is nice and friendly but I would probably not return. The hotel is located in a business building, so my room faced offices, which would have been fine if I was not in the hotel during the work week. I only wish the hotel had free WIFI.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I appreciate the positive review and your comments on the Internet charge. I understand some properties do not have a fee for internet, however we have invested significantly to provide a high speed, secure network that is safe for our guests to use for all business and personal applications. It is very important we offer a protected network so ours comes with a little more expense than the free internet offered by the discount chains. I hope this explains a little why there is a charge and the value behind having our high level of service. Thanks for your feedback and again for your positive comments
-John .
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We moved here from a hotel on Clearwater Beach due to the freezing weather. We obtained a Hotwire rate that was 2/3 less than the cramped beach hotel. We were able to check in early. There is free parking in the deck but valet parking is also available. It's across the street from a mall, movie theaters and a nice variety of restaurants (Pinkberry & Starbucks included!). The hotel is beautiful, modern and very clean. The staff were all helpful, knowledgable and friendly. Other than not being able to use the room refrigerator (it's completely full with $$ items) for our drinks & leftovers and the wifi not being free, I have no complaints and would definitely stay here again. We also used the free airport shuttle which was very convenient.

Room Tip: We had a view of the lobby. Not exciting but not bad.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the nice review. I am pleased to see your vacation was not a complete disappointment due to the weather. Glad we could help!
Lantana, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This property is an unusual location, half the room face into an atrium in an office complex. There is a Shula's restaurant on the property. There is a free self service parking garage and $18/night valet parking. The staff is exceptionally friendly- from the front desk, housecleaning, valet etc. Rooms were clean. However, I think this property could be a little better maintained, the doors were not clean- a coat of paint would do and on my particular room- if the door wasn't fully shut it did not close by itself. When i went up to my roon the door was open. The bathtub drain needed fixed. Small things that should be taken care of in a 4 star hotel prior to the guest complaining. The rooms were quote comfortable but I think they need a little TLC in this property.

Room Tip: the room service breakfast was quite good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your experience with us. I am delighted to see you enjoyed our friendly associates, amenities and clean comfortable rooms. I also appreciate the feedback on the conditions in the property, these are circumstances a guest should never need to bring to our attention and should be resolved before you arrive. I have shared your experience with our team as it is our goal to maintain the hotel in top condition at all times. Thanks again for writing.
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was at the InterContinental for a work conference. The hotel as a whole was very nice. The room was exceptionally clean and fairly well maintained. The hotel can be rather noisy. I would recommend asking for a room that faced the atrium. I was on the 9th floor and my room faced the street and I could hear every rev of a motor and all of the passing traffic. It was exceptionally bad on the weekends. When closing the room door it does close rather loud, actually kind of slams. Every time someone would enter or leave their room I could hear it very loudly in mine. This became frustrating when trying to sleep at 3 a.m. Between the noise outside and the doors slamming it was rather difficult to sleep at times. For a hotel, the beds were very comfortable. The hotel does have Wi-Fi capabilities but charges almost $13 dollars a day for the services. Food was provided several times during the conference and I did order room service once. The food was pretty good, no complaints. The attitude of the staff at the hotel did kind of vary. Some were very friendly and helpful while other seemed like they couldn’t be bothered. Some of the maids had a better personality than some of the front desk staff. If you are flying in from TPA you will have to call the hotel when you arrive to have the shuttle come to pick you up. There is a Walgreens across the street and a Panera Bread and Starbucks. Also, there is a mall directly across from the hotel. You do have to walk back a little farther to get to the entrance but it is not far at all. The mall has numerous shops, 3-4 sit down restaurants and a food court. You are not able to see the water from the hotel unless you go the pool on the 9th floor, you can see it in the distance. I was told it was about a 20-30 minute drive to the main beaches.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the atrium side. Call the hotel when you arrive at the airport for the shuttle...
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for writing about the positives during your stay and sharing the areas we can improve. It was truly a pleasure to host your group at our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
-John

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!