“Would choose again for a pre-cruise stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #51 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Elmvale, Ontario
“Would choose again for a pre-cruise stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our party of six chose the Intercontinental Tampa for a pre-cruise stay. Since we would have varying amounts of time in the area, we thought it would be a great choice due to its location. We were right. We were able to wander the mall, pick up a few last minute things at Walgreens and have a great dinner out.

There was a slight wait for the shuttle pick-up at the airport when we arrived but that was beyond their control due to an accident on the airport grounds. We weren’t alone in our wait; all other shuttles were held up as well. Others in our party who arrived later had no problems.

Check in was quick and the front desk was very accommodating in passing along messages for the later arrivals and helping to arrange our shuttle service in the morning.

Our King room was clean, great bathroom, nice large fluffy towels, and a comfortable bed.

As it was a warm evening, after dinner a few us enjoyed a dip in the rooftop pool, and just lounging on the patio around it catching up.

We did not eat in the hotel itself so can’t comment on that but we did visit the Starbucks and Panera Bread across the street, again a handy location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JGaffney, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Glad everyone enjoyed their visit before your cruise, thanks for choosing us!
-John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Polish first
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are spacious and very well decorated. Carpet and furnishings seemed quite new and very clean. Small bathroom but well appointed. Only problem was the fixture used for water control in shower/tub. It was impossible to get the water to turn completely off. The room had a comfortable chair with ottoman and a nice size desk. Wifi available for a daily charge. There was a safe and minibar as well as coffeemaker. My room overlooked the outdoor courtyard so I had no problem with the view. So you may want to ask for a room that overlooks outdoors rather than the indoor areas. Nice fitness center but it was very crowded in the early morning hours. Several restaurants located close by within walking distance (Seasons 52, Mitchells Seafood, PF Chang). Also a mall a block away within easy walking distance - with good selection of stores (Saks, Macy's). Ten minutes from the airport so convenient plus the hotel provides a free shuttle to and from the airport. Just call when you arrive at the airport and they will send the shuttle to get you. Food choices at the hotel are Shula's (steak and seafood but a little pricey) and a small "cafe" that offers breakfast options and lunch options. The cafe has no seating but there are plenty of places to sit in the hotel area around the cafe. Overall a good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the outdoor areas - otherwise you may have a view of the offices acros...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. It means a lot to have your wonderful feedback and we appreciate your visit to our hotel.
Hope to see you again soon
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Wonderful hotel,,I enjoyed my stay.. Nice rooms...Really comfortable bed.. Had a fabulous sleep..
Had breakfast in there dinning room.. Great buffet...
Right across the street is a shopping mall... Several restaurants walking distance...
I would stay here again....Nice that they have a shuttle to the airport......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit. We do have a great location near shopping, dining and entertainment, and Shula’s Steakhouse inside the hotel is fantastic for any meal. Thanks for writing!
bloomington, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I can say this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in . We spent one night before heading out to the beach. We thoroughly enjoyed it . The bed was one of the most comfortable anywhere I have stayed. Beautiful hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Check out the pool:)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks! I am very pleased you enjoyed your visit and our super-comfy beds are the best! Hope to see you again soon!
Edmond, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It may have been sunny in Tampa, but the InterContinental did not shine.

Located in a shared office complex, the property offers wonderful views of various conference rooms and folks working at their desks (see attached photo). I had better views and more privacy in summer camp! In addition, the property needs some major maintenance / cosmetic work - my room door was scuffed and broken, and the wall where the elevator was located has been poorly patched at some point along the way. These are just a few of the physical flaws located throughout.

The experience and service at the property was not much better. Upon arriving at Tampa International Airport, we called the hotel and were informed the complimentary shuttle would be by in 15 minutes. After 23 minutes, we called the property back. Apparently the driver had skipped our location at the aiport - it would be another 20 minutes before he could return. Needless to say, we opted to take a cab. When checking in and inquiring about the mishap, the front desk was not even aware and did not so much as apologize.

Having stayed at several InterContinental properties, hands down this is the lowest quality experience I have had. On one positive, the property is in close proximity to the airport.

Ron,
I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. The issues you shared are troubling to me and I assure you I am addressing these with the management team. The poor condition you have noted and the setbacks in service are not acceptable and we will address these issues immediately. Thanks for sharing.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I contacted the hotel because I had some requests and concerns that I did not feel comfortable expressing online for fear that they would be lost in translation. I had the luxury of speaking to managers Rodrigo as well as Amy Moore. Their attentiveness to my requests as well as their helpfulness left me extremely impressed and excited about my upcoming visit. Their hospitality provided me with the confidence that I have come to expect when traveling outside of my area (Boston). I will be sure to follow up with another review regarding my actual stay but wanted to give this staff the credit they deserve for providing me with stellar customer service.

Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I got a fantastic deal for this hotel on Priceline, but if I had paid any more I would have been sorely disappointed.

The location is good, near I-275, shopping and restaurants. The parking situation is easy (we didn't use valet) and free.

The staff was just fine. I read previous reviews that said otherwise, but we didn't have any issues.

Our room was one facing Westshore Blvd, and I was shocked at how loud the noise was from the traffic outside. You could hear motorcycles, semi-trucks, etc. zooming by. If I were to stay here again (which is very unlikely), I would choose a room not facing the street. The other rooms, however, face the office spaces across the way, which would be awkward.

Our room was small, but nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The turn down service was nice.
The bathroom was very small and outdated. Our shower had mold growing in it- not enough to make me ask for a room change, but enough for the "yuck" factor. We were only there for one night and spent very little time in the room, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Overall, I think there are better choices in the area and I will not be a repeat guest.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the street if you prefer quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear ksjennifer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!