“Nice hotel: but caution, don’t become a victim of the minibar!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tampa

You added InterContinental Hotel Tampa to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tampa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Wyndham Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Forest Hills, New York
“Nice hotel: but caution, don’t become a victim of the minibar!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were visiting Tampa for three nights prior to a cruise and chose this hotel because of the positive reviews on tripadvisor. The airport is 10 minutes away and a complimentary, convenient shuttle bus is provided. The cruise pier is about 15 minutes away, a shuttle is available, but is not free. We took a taxi, the fair was $25.

The front desk staff were efficient when requests were made but not welcoming and friendly. There is a steak house that serves breakfast and dinner for a fee. A lively bar, coffee bar, shops, and a hair salon are on the first floor. Walking distance to drug stores, a movie theater, banks, restaurants and a mall.

A lovely outdoor pool is on the 9th floor with a city view in the distance. The pool was not heated.

Free Wi-Fi and parking. Parking can be a bit confusing: You may be told to park on the second level, but we found no parking space available. Level six had plenty of parking and is convenient to the elevators and hotel entrance. Be prepared for a bit of walking to your room. Valet parking is available for $18/day. The business center just off the lobby is well equipped with computers and printers.

We requested a quiet room, not facing the office building. This request was denied: The reason was not made clear. Because of the floor to ceiling windows you can clearly see and be seen by folks at their desks across the court yard. Talking and other human sounds can be heard from the adjoining room and hallway. The house keeping staff were great: the room was very clean and well stocked with everything we needed. Iron, ironing board, coffee maker, coffee and tea all provided complimentary.

There is a refrigerator in the room. CAUTION: Do not open it unless you intend to make a purchase from the minibar. We opened the refrigerator to put our water in it and our bill reflected a $10 minibar charge. There is an auto bill when minibar door is opened and items are moved. At least two other guests complained about this when I was in the lobby. The charge was removed after being asked “did you remove anything?”

I would recommend this hotel, with caution about the noise, room location and the minibar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the office building. Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
JGaffney, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tampa, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thanks for your recommendation and honest feedback from your visit, I will be sure to share this with our management team in an effort to improve our services and offerings. Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Polish first
Beaufort, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

What a huge dissapointment this hotel turned out to be. I work for the IHG brand and was very much looking forward to staying at this hotel under the employee rate. We pulled up to the front door and as we got out of the car we were told we could not park there and needed to drive around to the parking garage. We parked on at least the fifth floor and had a somewhat difficult time of finding our way to the front desk, which was right at the entrance of where we had just tried to park. The front desk agent was nice enough, although after realizing I was just another employee turned snobby.

We were there for a week, had quite a lot of luggage and needed a luggage cart. As I went to grab one I was informed (by the same man mentioned above) that they were a 4 diamond hotel, I was not allowed to handle one but they would help me with my luggage. I said fine and that I was parked in the parking garage. He said I would need to drive around to the front for them to help me. I informed him that I had just moved my car from there because he told me I wasn't allowed to park there. He said he did not realize we were checking in and just shrugged it off. Why else would I have tried to park there?! I said forget it, I'll deal with my own luggage and had to make several trips back and forth to get it all inside, instead of someone coming with me like they should have.

When we booked the room, we booked two queen beds with a view. We got a tiny room with two doubles and a view of the inside lobby. Twice when opening the curtains to let more artificial light into the room, the creepy man in the office directly across the lobby from our room took the opportunity to check us out. Not what I was thinking when I booked a view. The only thing convenient about a 9th floor room was that it was on the same floor as the pool.

I understand I'm an employee, paying a discounted rate, but I do not expect second rate service because of that. You would think, being an Intercontinental and a 4 diamond hotel, they would want to "wow" me with their exceptional service and teach a Holiday Inn employee a thing or two about what service is supposed to be. I can say without a doubt that our Holiday Inn knows more about customer service than the Intercontinental Tampa Hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Michele,
Thank you for providing your experience to us, I am very sorry to see your visit was a disapointment and this is not at all up to our standards. I will follow up on these issues with the departments involved. Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of our property.
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I've stayed at the Atlanta and San Francisco InterContinentals and love both of them. The Tampa InterContinental is below their standards. The room was small. The bathroom was tiny. They put us right next to the elevators which were extremely loud. My wife and I had trouble sleeping they were so loud. The service was just fine, but the hotel was below par. They should probably go ahead and rebrand it a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Request to be away from the elevators
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

Arrived this afternoon, booked via Priceline.com and front desk staff were delightful and treated us with respect. We were given a beautiful, clean and well-appointed room with a view of the bay. Within walking distance to some of our favorite dining establishments. Door and bellmen were professional and polite. Very pleased with my decision and hotel selection; you won't be sorry. Teri and Steve

• Stayed January 2012
St-Polycarpe, Québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

This IS a 4-star hotel : understated elegance, incredibly comfortable, amazing view from the rooftop swimming pool...BUT when we ask for 2 queen beds ( family of 4), we mean queen, not double !!!!
It is beyond me why hotels still offer double beds : they can only accomodate ONE person comfortably - or 2 small children. A family of 4 isn't that unusual, but we have to make sure the beds are queen size everytime we make a reservation , even then surprises happen !

Otherwise, even though our room was charming but cramped ,this hotel really deserves its 4 stars !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels in Tampa-from the exterior, to the lobby, to the rooms, you feel like you are staying in the lap of luxury for a great value. The room has updated, modern furniture with a flat screen TV and an amazing window that is the length of the wall. The staff was pleasant and accommodated our needs. There is also a restaurant downstairs, but we have yet to eat there. You can either valet your car or park free in the garage. Be wary: the garage is in the back of the hotel and there is a good distance to walk to the lobby. The one downside is that none of the rooms have balconies, but other than that our stay was excellent and we cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Request a room with an outside view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
NoVa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days--due to a 3 day conference in Downtown Tampa at the Convention Center.

Check In: Speedy & Friendly

Front Desk Personnel: Friendly & Helpful (as I had only been to Tampa once before & asked for cool places to visit & eat on my buddy & I's 1 spare day in town). Crabby Bill's in
Clearwater, FL, made me & my buddy 2 Happy Tourists :D.

Room: Comfortable for 2 Doubles. Plenty of room for 2 people on a business trip to both do work. The "Free WiFi" was a bit slow, though.

Random Room Note: We did not pay extra for the Bay view--as we were hardly in the hotel--so, we ended up w/ a view of the office buildings & a little courtyard area. Keep the blinds closed, in order not to give someone a unique work day experience!!

Random Hotel Note: The coffee place they have in the hotel, on the main floor, had decent specialty coffees that were competitive in price to the Starbucks across the street. Also, there is a mall across the street w/ several restaurants & a movie theatre, etc.--in case, you needed more variety close to the hotel. It is not easy to cross the street as a Pedestrian... but, it is possible.

Parking: There is parking (incl. in my hotel stay)--that was alright, even though there was construction going on. I will add that the aroma coming from the kitchen of Shula's Steakhouse (which is located on the Main Hotel Floor) made me want steak EVERY day of my stay--as the smell wafted into the Parking garage area.

Overall: Hotel is located outside of Downtown Tampa, but super close to the airport--which was the main reason why I chose it. Also, being on this side of Tampa made it a lesser commute to the beach.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tampa? Share your experiences!